The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Ben Harris :: Hoodwink (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hoodwink:: First Published 1983 :: 16 Pages

Hoodwink, yet another Torn and Restored handling. With the amount of Torn and Restored effects on the market, it would have to bring something very new or different to the community. Being a card magician, I was looking forward to checking out Ben’s approach to the classic plot. But, after exploring every Torn and Restored plot that I have come across, admittedly, it would be hard to impress me.

Again, as will all of my reviews of Ben’s eBooks, the first thing that really does stand out is the quality of the books. There just brilliantly put together. The time put into the project is apparent from the second you open the book. With his “Authentication” mark on top of the book so you know you’re getting a quality product.

We slide past the 4-5 pages of copyright declarations once again and finally get to the introduction. The history behind this is yet again very interesting. This is a revisited version of another of Ben’s earlier works “Prime Hole Card”. The development of an effect is, in my opinion very important to get everything just right. Ben has hit the nail right on the head. We move on to the effect.

Now unlike the conventional Torn and Resorted plot, the card is not torn into quarters and restored quarter by quarter. This version see’s the magician tear the card completely in half, display both pieces and in the blink of an eye restore the card. This is the first time we are introduced to the “Flash” restoration which I believe brings a very slick finally to the ending, almost as if the pieces jump together. After viewing a video of this effect online, I must admit to you that I was fooled. Unlike most torn and restored effects, this had such a simple handling and looked so clean. I saw the card being genuinely torn, displayed separately to each other and then in less than a second, it was restored all without anything else being in his hands. Now, that to me seems like a cool handling of Torn and Restored.

The book is well laid out and is incredibly simple. There are Circular photos with lines and nuggets of text to help you along. The handling is incredibly simple and brilliantly clever. I enjoyed how the long drawn out process of 1) tear up the card into quarters 2) display them 3) take 15 minutes just to restore it quarter by quarter. This is replace by a tear up and one second visual restore. If I were to perform a torn and restored card effect, it would have to be something drastically different or a quick simple presentation much like this. I genuinely enjoyed Ben’s handling of torn and restored and will defiantly use it once or twice. The added value that it is completely impromptu, can use a signed card and has an incredibly deceptive and simplistic handling really helps sell the effect.

Although this is not the most groundbreaking of torn and restored cards, I think it is a brilliant approach to a quick “in and out” handling of the effect that can be performed anytime, anywhere and with any deck of cards with no prior set up. That to me sounds like a winner.

Rating **** 4/5 Stars

“A valuable approach to the classic torn and restored plot. A no nonsense, in and out handling that is defiantly to be considered by all serious card magicians.”

http://www.wowbound.com

Reviewed by Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Have to agree. I have had this since its early release and it is a fooler. Get this!
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
So theres NO set up ?
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Indeed, NO SETUP! Smile
Chris Piercy
View Profile
Special user
Dorset, England
932 Posts

Profile of Chris Piercy
Any demos of this anywhere?
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Here's an unofficial one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k7h4NquOg8

Kyle
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi guys, nice to see a little Hoodwink discussion. That my girl* is still found to be of interest and value almost 30 years after birth, is a great joy!

Don't forget that Hoodwink also evolved into "Wink Wink" which appears in 2001's Quarks & Quirks. This is an EXAMINABLE at the finish version.

Cheers

Benny

*Yes, I see all my effects in a gender-based way --don't lock me up now!
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Hoodwink is great solution to the torn and restored card plot. It is not difficult, the card restores in a flash, and it can be done impromptu. I got this PDF as part of Ben's Backstory Project and I've been practicing ripping and repairing all over the place.

This is well worth your consideration!

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
You got it in Backstory? The last thing I got was Dimensional Relativity back in March.

Ben - is the backstory still going?

Thanks, Ian
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Ian, it was part of the initial Backstory bundle I purchased through Lybrary.com.

Noel,
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Ian.

BackStory is still going. Three installments will be ready to send out in January.
I am sorry that the flow has been slow of late, but it's been a tough year.
There are no time limits on the subscriptions and thee are at least 24 more installments to come.
You should have Hoodwink. I can email you a copy to complete the package.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Cheers

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Ben Harris :: Hoodwink (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL