The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Know When To Walk Away... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Hey Lyle,

Sorry Applebee's isn't working out for you. We are in two different parts of the country and you have other factors that are making it difficult.

I have been working Applebee's Restaurants for over 4 years and find them to be a great place to work! I have had a few of the privately owned restaurants I worked at close in the last year but have replaced them with two more Applebee's locations. Who would have thought? I never run out of people to perform for and lately have been cutting down my sets to two effects so I can hit more tables.

So Lyle and others, don't give up on Applebee's completely. I think it just depends on the location Smile

Josh, what Applbee's do you work? Where exactly is it located?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2009-08-04 03:59, Hart Keene wrote:
Hey Lyle,

Sorry Applebee's isn't working out for you. We are in two different parts of the country and you have other factors that are making it difficult.

I have been working Applebee's Restaurants for over 4 years and find them to be a great place to work! I have had a few of the privately owned restaurants I worked at close in the last year but have replaced them with two more Applebee's locations. Who would have thought? I never run out of people to perform for and lately have been cutting down my sets to two effects so I can hit more tables.

So Lyle and others, don't give up on Applebee's completely. I think it just depends on the location Smile

I agree Hart! It was simply my location. I decided to go pitch the one that was close to me b/c of all the great stuff both you and Hansel said about your locations. I'm sure if I went to a different Applebees out here things would be different...but the closest one to me (other than the one I was playing at) is about 50 miles from me. Not worth the drive.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2009-08-03 16:52, Christopher Lyle wrote:
THIS is a Disco Shirt: http://www.costume-shop.com/images/products/7929.jpg
Disco Shirts are usually brightly bold and made of either silk or a satan material and are very shiney. THAT IS NOT WHAT I WEAR.

I bet a lot of people would LOVE to see you in it though!

Quote:
On 2009-08-03 17:02, joshsmagic wrote:

I think your shirt collar out of the jacket scares people away. I think my tux shirt and vest don't.

Chances are they think you are one of the waitstaff. You either want to be the best dressed or noticably dressed in the room. Otherwise , they ask you for a refill on their water.
Official Thread Killer
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-04 03:35, MiketheMagicDude wrote:
Chris,

Maybe you didn't go over well at applebees because customers were vicariously mad at you because their food was disgusting. good riddance if you ask me. I have had better cuisine at mcdonalds.

You're right about that! The only times I have ever eaten at one was when I was dragged their with a group. Not one of my favorite places to dine. However...I don't have to eat there to perform there....lol!

Quote:
btw. no offense but your collar is way too large for rat pack style. (which was 60s not 20s, and they didn't dress that way often.) it is nuevo disco all the way. nothing from the 20s really resembles the way you dress. what exactly are you talking about.

Actually, it was a typo (multiple times). The rat pack began actually back in the 50s and stayed strong thru both the 50s and 60s. Why I kept saying the 20s I don't know. Fingers type faster then my brain can think I guess.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-04 03:35, MiketheMagicDude wrote:

and they didn't dress that way often.

The thins is Mike...neither do I. Without ever seeing me perform live and in person, he based an assumption on the fact that he saw the demo for Foiled Again and that must be exactly how I always dress when I perform.

The good news about Josh's ignorance is Bizzaro just got a great plug for his product.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
IN your original post, you gave your number 1 reason for leaving Applebee's as being too slow due to construction:

".... At this location there is LOTS of road construction right in front of the restaurant which makes getting to it very challenging...."

I think you understated this a little in that the construction at that location made it nearly impossible to get to without very convoluted detours and creative driving through other commercial properties. Way too much work for an Applebee's. A helicopter would have a difficult time getting to the resturaunt. The location is just a dead zone for business right now. I wouldn't want to sit in an empty joint waiting for Josh and his friends to stroll in an get all punky on my collar..you are way better than that!
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-08-04 03:59, Hart Keene wrote:
Hey Lyle,

Carbondale IL

and I googled chris's location and there are about 10 different applebee's locations within 30 miles of him
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
This message is from Jonathan Kamm towards chris lyle

Tell Chris that it isn't just about the way a person dresses. That was only an example of what people may find a turn off. Think of it this way if Chris was just a patron in the bar wearing casual clothes and nobody knew he was a magician he would have no problem approaching people and socializing with them. So why do they wave him away when he is dressed like one and they promote him as one. Maybe a friendlier approach is needed. Once you become a friend its much easier to introduce a little entertainment. Once you get one table going the other tables will want to know what all the fun is. Each restaurant is different. Many restaurant magicians find it easier to dress as a manager would and even approach as if they are management asking how everything is and making small talk before subtly introducing a little magic. You need to be able to adapt. Corporate restaurants certainly have a different vibe to them. Maybe its not Chris's venue. He's more of a Mom and Pop type of restaurant magician. Sure there are people who don't want to see magic and they are easily noticed and should be avoided. But I find it almost impossible to believe that 95% of the cliental don't want to see magic. Maybe one night that could happen but not week after week. One night I was working the Cognac bar at work and a group of about 20 or 30 people came in who I found out were the "Chicago Skeptics Society". YIKES! If I had approached as a magician I'm sure I would of been turned away. But I approached as an interested bystander. I asked them what their group was, what exactly they did along with other general questions. It gave me a better feel of how I was going to introduce my magic. I told them that that was funny because I was actually a professional magician hired to entertain them. They thought that was funny too. I made a point of letting them know that I do not claim to be magic or have any special powers, its all an act. I just make it look that way. I also confessed I too was a skeptic. Then one of them asked to see something. (They asked me. So I knew I was in). So I chose a strong fail safe effect and they loved it and wanted to see more. I only showed them a couple more things because I didn't want to over stay my welcome and I could tell they had club business to attend to. They thanked me, tipped me nicely, I thanked them and I went on my way. The more you work the more you learn how to perform for different types of people. If you simply avoid everyone because you think they don't want to see magic you will be limiting your audience. The more different styes of people you learn to perform for the more versatile you become.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

WOW! Really Josh. You had to go cry to Johnny Kamm b/c you can't fight your own battles? WOW! It was you Josh who thru down this silly guantlet...when you realize you are fighting a losing battle, you have to go cry to your mentor to come and bail you out. I find that sad.

Normally, I would just dismiss ANYTHING that comes from Kamms mouth as he is a self rightious loser (who has been BANNED from the Café') who could never love anyone more than he loves himself.

What I just don't get is WHAT is so hard to believe about a venue not working out for someone. I would love to see either you or Kamm try and work this location. I can 101% guarentee that your results would be EQUAL to my own.

HOWEVER...on this one very rare occassion, he does make several good points that I wish to address.

Quote:
On 2009-08-05 09:56, joshsmagic wrote:

Once you get one table going the other tables will want to know what all the fun is.

You are exactly right! You get one table going, which builds excitement for other tables, you can play one table into another, etc.,etc., etc. However...that DOES NOT HAPPEN when you have the following occur:

1. You walk in to begin your shift at 6pm and there is NOBODY in the restaurant.

2. Your first potential customer finally walks thru the door at 6:30ish and is led to his seat at the bar. This person is now the ONLY person in the entire place. By 7pm (1/2 thru the 2 hour shift) a few more walk in...all looking equally as run down and tired as the first person...most of whom make a B line straight for the bar.

After their orders are taken, I wait a few minutes and make my approach. The first guy waves me off uninterested. So there's no way to build any excitement with him for the other 2 or 3 tables. I approach the other tables with similar results.

During the time I was there, the MOST people that I had in the restaurant at any given time was approximately 20 people. Understand...that's not all at the same time...that's staggerd over a 2 hour period. The average was more between 4-10 people. On occassion, a family would come in to dine...but it was RARE!

Quote:
Each restaurant is different.

Correct! Every place is different. That is why I'm always busy at Cristina's which is just down the road 10 mintues from this location of Applebees. Differnt people come in with a different mind set. In fact, it's going so well at Cristina's, that they have offered me another night during the week (Wednesday) to come in and entertain.

So why is one restaurant thriving while the other was dead for me? Because like Kamm said...every place is DIFFERENT!

Quote:
Many restaurant magicians find it easier to dress as a manager would

Dressing like a manager...sure! Dressing like a homeless person...ummm...I don't think so. Josh looks like a sloppy bar tender when he performs...or at least he did on his You Tube clip.

Usually, when I perform in my restaurants doing table magic, I wear a suit and a tie. I usually don't wear a tie when I'm doing STAGE MAGIC! There are occassions when I go tie less in my restaurants. There is nothing wrong with how I dress. I have a very nice look that is in style!

Quote:
and even approach as if they are management asking how everything is and making small talk before subtly introducing a little magic.

...which is EXACTLY what I do!

[quote]He's more of a Mom and Pop type of restaurant magician.
[quote]
That is NOT TRUE at all. I have worked at Corporate Owned Red Lobster's, Fuddruckers, Boston's, Golden Corale's, TGI Friday's, etc. Those are all big chains and I was at each one of those restaurants (with exception to Boston's) at least 5 years each!

Cristina's that I perform at every Monday and Wednesday is considered a fine dining restaurant and they are a chain out here in the DFW Area. I believe there are about 8 of them.

When I got hired at Crystals, they too were Corporate Owned by Pastabillities Inc. Just in the last 3 years, PB Inc. sold the restaurant to a private owner.

I have worked the Mom and Pop places and love those just as much as working the big corporate restaurants. But to generalize what I do as simply a "mom and pop" performer is simply unfounded!

Quote:
Sure there are people who don't want to see magic and they are easily noticed and should be avoided.

Correct! Technically..."almost" every person who walked in to the restaurant looked to be this way. However...since we were so slow to begin with...approaching these people was required...or I would have just stood in the same location for 2 hours not moving.

Quote:
The more you work the more you learn how to perform for different types of people. If you simply avoid everyone because you think they don't want to see magic you will be limiting your audience. The more different styes of people you learn to perform for the more versatile you become.

Agreed! I'm sure once Josh gets more than a year or two under his belt (if he sticks with it) then he will understand this more.

I don't know WHY this has turned into what it has. Other people post that a gig didn't work out all the time and it never gets this much air time on here. It's silly.

As Kamm states...all places are different. Some are good matches for magic...some arn't! This one wasn't. EVEN IF all the people who were in there wanted to see magic, this location on a Wednesday Night (the only night I had open to perform) was always dead. They were losing money having me there. I have too much respect for the industry to stand around and get paid for doing nothing.

This place wasn't a good match. It has nothing to do with my approach, my style, my attitude, and especially my COLLAR! Hmmmm...come to think of it, I don't think I ever performed at this location out of a tie. LOL!

I posted what I did to educate people that just b/c you have a gig that will pay you, if you're unhappy there, then you shouldn't continue to perform. Don't do something that doesn't make you happy just b/c you're getting paid for it.

This location of Applebees was not a good match. The next closest one to my home (I live in the sticks) is about 50 miles from me (100 round trip). I have no interest in driving that far to do magic for 2 hours.

What I find funny is that Josh STILL hasn't answered my questions to him. I pose the questions and he totally ignores them...much like Kamm use to on here...I see where you get it from.

I also find it funny that he went to Kamm crying like a little school girl and got Johnny Boy to write a letter to me on here and almost everything that Kamm said goes to support MY SIDE of the arguement!

Josh...grow up and let this thing die. You hijacked a completly innocent thread and have turned it into something that is completely insane!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-05 09:55, joshsmagic wrote:
and I googled chris's location and there are about 10 different applebee's locations within 30 miles of him

How do you know my location? Do you have my address? NO! You do not! I live way out in BFE. Directions to my home actually do include "turn off the paved road!" We live about 15-20 miles from life out here.

I checked out all the locations of Applebees before I ever pitched the one I worked at and saw this was the only one close enough for me to perform at.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Quote:
On 2009-08-05 11:08, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I live way out in BFE. Directions to my home actually do include "turn off the paved road!" We live about 15-20 miles from life out here.

HAHAhahaha!!!
He's not kidding. I can testify. ^_^ It's nearly a full tank of gas to go visit. (Roundtrip)
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe he already drives 30 miles to get to Crystals so add another 20 to that...and I'm not a math major but that makes a 50 mile drive one way.

Bottom line is, Chris left a gig he wasn't happy with and moved onto another. Big deal! The only point he was trying to get across is don't keep a gig just to have one. Find a gig both you and the customer are happy with.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-08-05 20:14, Mario Orsini wrote:
Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe he already drives 30 miles to get to Crystals so add another 20 to that...and I'm not a math major but that makes a 50 mile drive one way.

Bottom line is, Chris left a gig he wasn't happy with and moved onto another. Big deal! The only point he was trying to get across is don't keep a gig just to have one. Find a gig both you and the customer are happy with.

read the earlier posts, chris said he is 10 min away from crystals
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1249 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Cute Josh... posting "kill yourself" on one of my youtube videos. Thanks for the insight into my routine. Very classy.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 00:46, pearljamjeff wrote:
Cute Josh... posting "kill yourself" on one of my youtube videos. Thanks for the insight into my routine. Very classy.

lol, I had a feeling you would comment on that jeff... "hey everybody, I told jeff to kill himself" ... would you rather have me have said that? chris, what about the 4-10 people? and what about you only being 10 min away from crystals and the location of other applebee's?
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:

Tell Chris that it isn't just about the way a person dresses. That was only an example of what people may find a turn off. Think of it this way if Chris was just a patron in the bar wearing casual clothes and nobody knew he was a magician he would have no problem approaching people and socializing with them. So why do they wave him away when he is dressed like one and they promote him as one. Maybe a friendlier approach is needed. Once you become a friend its much easier to introduce a little entertainment. Once you get one table going the other tables will want to know what all the fun is. Each restaurant is different. Many restaurant magicians find it easier to dress as a manager would and even approach as if they are management asking how everything is and making small talk before subtly introducing a little magic. You need to be able to adapt. Corporate restaurants certainly have a different vibe to them. Maybe its not Chris's venue. He's more of a Mom and Pop type of restaurant magician. Sure there are people who don't want to see magic and they are easily noticed and should be avoided. But I find it almost impossible to believe that 95% of the cliental don't want to see magic. Maybe one night that could happen but not week after week. One night I was working the Cognac bar at work and a group of about 20 or 30 people came in who I found out were the "Chicago Skeptics Society". YIKES! If I had approached as a magician I'm sure I would of been turned away. But I approached as an interested bystander. I asked them what their group was, what exactly they did along with other general questions. It gave me a better feel of how I was going to introduce my magic. I told them that that was funny because I was actually a professional magician hired to entertain them. They thought that was funny too. I made a point of letting them know that I do not claim to be magic or have any special powers, its all an act. I just make it look that way. I also confessed I too was a skeptic. Then one of them asked to see something. (They asked me. So I knew I was in). So I chose a strong fail safe effect and they loved it and wanted to see more. I only showed them a couple more things because I didn't want to over stay my welcome and I could tell they had club business to attend to. They thanked me, tipped me nicely, I thanked them and I went on my way. The more you work the more you learn how to perform for different types of people. If you simply avoid everyone because you think they don't want to see magic you will be limiting your audience. The more different styes of people you learn to perform for the more versatile you become.

And what about this post? Did Kamm also not manage to include any carriage returns or line breaks in his email? This is a HUGE jumble to read through. The internet really is the black hole of proper writing ain't it? (Said with a sarcastic grin)
Official Thread Killer
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 05:50, Stucky wrote:
Quote:

And what about this post? Did Kamm also not manage to include any carriage returns or line breaks in his email? This is a HUGE jumble to read through. The internet really is the black hole of proper writing ain't it? (Said with a sarcastic grin)

Yes well said Stucky,one of my pet hates on this and just about every forum.When will people realise there posts are soooo much easier to read with spacings,paragraphs,commas,etc........Regardless of the content,posts like this are such a strain to read you almost don't bother! Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-08-05 21:54, joshsmagic wrote:
Quote:

Thanks. I did and I see nothing where he says he lives 10 min away from Crystals in this thread. I only see where he said "We live about 15-20 miles from life out here."

I love how you disregarded the rest of my post though.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-05 21:54, joshsmagic wrote:
Quote:

Josh...you're a idiot! I have NEVER said that I lived 10 minutes from Crystals. I don't know HOW you get that from anything I have said. You show me where I've said that?

From my front door to Crystals parking lot, it's exactly 36.8 miles. That's a long way drive. Seven years ago when I got booked at Crystals I only lived about 15 miles from the restaurant...but over that 7 year period, we bought a house out in Justin...so now I'm much futher away. However, I put 30 hours per week at Crystals over 3 days and am very well compensated for my time so it makes it worth my while.

Ask anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Crystals is my temple. It's a shrine to Christopher Lyle. I couldn't leave that place even if I wanted to (and I don't).
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

[quote]On 2009-08-06 03:09, joshsmagic wrote:
Quote:
chris, what about the 4-10 people? and what about you only being 10 min away from crystals and the location of other applebee's?

Sorry Josh for not being able to respond in a more timely manner. You see, I actually PERFORM FOR A LIVING and I'm not a professional forum guy like you are. I didn't get home last night until almost 10pm and then I have a wife that I like to spend time with. The world doesn't revolve around you monkey boy...some of us have lives outside of the green place.

What about the 4-10 people? I don't get that? I answered your lie about living 10 miles from Crystals above. The closest Applebees to my home (I just mapquested it) is 46.8 miles from my front door. As I stated, I'm not driving that far to go perform. When you figure in milage and gas and wear and tear on my vehicle vs. my hourly rate, it's not worth my time.

I also have a FULL BOAT SCHEDULE RIGHT NOW. I quit Applebees and got Cristina's to add me to Wednesday Nights all in the same week so I wouldn't be out any money. That means that I'm still performing 5 nights per week so even if I wanted to go to another Applebees, I just don't have the time to do it now.

My wife and I have our schedules melded pretty well where she works her job during the day and I go out and perform at night...which works out great for our 2.5 year old daughter. Someone has to be home with her so during the day when I'm not performing at a School or some type of Corporate Gig, I stay home and play Mr. Mom and then my wife get's home from work and she takes over and then I go to work.

For me to try and take on another Applebees (or anything right now) means I'd have to work 6 nights a week. That just ain't gonna happen. I'm no Mark Burne for cryin' out loud! lol

I've never said that Applebees is a crap place to work for. I have NEVER SAID THAT! On the contrary, I have said that if you live near one, then GO FOR IT as they will most likely book you since they all appear to be open to entertainment. What I have been saying was that the one "I" was at wasn't a good spot for Magic.

I have been wondering WHY you decided to hijack this thread and the only thing I can think of (since our paths have never crossed before) is that you were bored and thought it would be fun to attempt to rouse me up. Perhaps out of envy or jealousy? I don't know.

YOU are not a PRO. You work 1 restaurant 2 nights a week and have been doing magic for all of a couple of years. You have a LONG WAY TO GO to be able to hold a candle to myself (and MANY) who are on this forum. Respect is EARNED...NOT GIVEN!It's very easy to sit behind your computer and act like you know what your talking about, but we can all see that your a hack. Sad really...but you choose your own path.

You see that you're wrong with what you were saying and couldn't get out of the hole you dug so you went to Kamm and cried about it and asked him to help you out. (which did nothing for your side of this silly arguement)

Josh...here's my advice for you...

If I were you, I would spend your time working and worrying about YOUR OWN act then to try to play armchair quarterback to a real pro like myself. All this time you have wasted saying that my collar scares people could have been spent more constructively.

I don't need your help. I don't need your critisim. I never asked for any of it. If I need either, I sure has heck wouldn't have come to you.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Know When To Walk Away... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL