The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Abb Dixon? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
I haven't seen or heard anything about Abb Dixon in quite some time. Does anybody have news of him?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You might want to contact the guys at IBM Ring 9 in Atlanta and ask them if they have info about Abb Dickson.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Abb has had some health problems and is currently in a nursing home doing rehab.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
Sorry to hear that Richard, but thank you so much for letting me know!
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I wasn't aware he was ailing.
no wonder he hasn't responded to my emails.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
garybart98
View Profile
New user
Branson, MO
10 Posts

Profile of garybart98
HI,

Abb Dickson is currently in a nursing home in Atlanta. I'm working on my way to go down there next week or so to meet with him.
He was my mentor and best man at my wedding in Las Vegas. I'll get the nursing home address and post here soon.

Once again, my travel plans are contingent upon this weather we are getting.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Gary E. Bartlett
President / CEO
Midwest Concerts & Events, LLC
Branson, MO 65616

Quote:
On Aug 8, 2009, AttnPls wrote:
I haven't seen or heard anything about Abb Dixon in quite some time. Does anybody have news of him?
CHAPPELL
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of CHAPPELL
As in the case of Mark Twain, rumors of Abb Dickson's death have been greatly exaggerated. For a number of years Abb has suffered from severe kidney failure requiring frequent dialysis, and many a magician had told me he was dead. Turns out that was a considerable overstatement, though Abb is not really in good shape.
When I last visited him in the old family home near Jonesboro, Georgia, only a few years ago, Abb was a frail echo of his former ebullient self, yet still Abb. At that time he was attended by a nurse and needed dialysis every other day. Later attempts to reach him by telephone reached only disconnected lines. I feared his departure from this life, but could find neither an an obituary nor any report of a broken wand ceremony.
Finally, last month searching online archives, I found a 2012 newspaper report indicating the Pope Dickson funeral business had closed. It was in its cavernous basement where Abb stored his vast store of illusions and odd collections -- like his collection of magician's suitcases, begun I seem to remember when a European lecturer visiting IBM Assembly 9 left one behind. That basement may indeed be where finally reposed Duke Stern's famous metal suitcases – the ones he garishly marked with bright yellow tapes on every side so the legally blind wizard could pick them out at bagage claims. After Duke's sudden death I met Abb at the airport in St. Louis and together we took Dukie's ashes to Colon for the final ceremony. There's a YouTube video of Karrell Fox at that grave recalling his old pal.
From that news report I was able to reach a former employee of the Dickson's who told me Abb still lives, but is in a care facility. He thought Abb would like to have a card now and then from magicians, and said he get me the name of the place.
A week later I received an email with the information. Abb's mailing address is:

Abb Dickson, c/o Kindred Care and Rehab Lafayette, 110 Brandywine Blvd., Fayetteville, GA 30214

So that's the story.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I enjoyed seeing Abb perform many times at the Abbott Get-Togethers with Karrell.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Sorry to hear that Add Dickson passed away this last week. I loved seeing him perform. I got to meet him in Philly in '76, and several times after that.

Blair
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm extremely sorry to hear that sad news. Abb was a good friend for almost 45 years. I had sent cards, but had no reply. I'm sure he would have replied, had he been able.

Dr. Mossey and I are thus the last surviving members of the SECRET SIX.

Requiescat in pace, old friend.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Abb Dixon? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL