The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Out of the mouths of babes.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Saturday night, I was aghast at what a 12 year old kid said to me. I was about to do a coin trick for a table of 11, mostly kids. "Let me get my purse out." as I reach in my pocket. I look at said child, "If you see a guy who is 6 ft. tall, shaved goutee, tattoos weighs over 300 lbs and carries a purse, you know what you call him?" (Of course, I tell them the answer is SIR, or WHATEVER I TELL YOU.) This 12 year old used an insulting term that would probably get me banned from here. I froze for a minute. I don't have kids, but I'm around them often at my real job and I do have nephews this age. I really can not remember the last time I heard a kid use this insulting slang term for a homosexual man. I really thought schools were trying to teach them tolerance and all that jazz. I really thought this term had gone the way of the "N" word. A moment later, another kid smacked him in the chest. "Shut up, look at the size of this guy, he's obviously not a f****n' queer." All this language in front of their dad, who said nothing. I just went on. However, I really thought it was funny and said that this kid thought that for someone to be homosexual, he would have to be a small efiminate guy, wearing a dress and patent leather pumps. I WANTED to tell him that "No, I'm not, but I have a few friends who are. And if you still use language like that in a few years, you'll have one of those f*****s split your head open."
psychicJeff
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of psychicJeff
That is horrible!

... kids these days...
The Magic & Mindreading of Jeff Deans.

www.jeffdeans.com Coming soon!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well, you have to admit you set him up for that! Smile

BTW, is that a doumbek you are drinking from, or are you just happy to see me?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Its right, He set the situation... BUT ANYWAY! In my times we have respect for Adults...TIMES ARE CHANGING , sometimes for good...But in this case for Bad!
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Bill, I've been using that line for years. No one has ever said that. They may think it, but this kid had the stones to SAY it!

I am drinking champagne from the Calder Cup. The AHL trophy, won this year by my hometown team, the Hershey Bears. The team often eats where I work and brought it in. After the place was almost empty they filled it with champagne and passed it around. It's a tradition. Kinda tough to drink from though as it weighs about 20 pounds. I tried to get them to make a hot fudge sundae in it instead.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
As far as I know, originally the word faggot was used to refer to a bundle of something and when homosexuals were burned (in the old times when they were considered evil) they threw faggots of dried wood on the fire and therefrom the term faggot developed as an insulting term for homosexuals.
Not that interesting though.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Pepka,

Are you sure those kids weren't the two boys from Talledega Nights?

DD
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I would have asked the dad something about parenting that I probably shouldn't but would anyway.

Sounds like that's what I'd call "Parenting by Satellite Dish"
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Yes nothing against the gays.Iv plenty of friends who are going to hell lol Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 02:31, pepka wrote:
Bill, I've been using that line for years. No one has ever said that. They may think it, but this kid had the stones to SAY it!

I am drinking champagne from the Calder Cup. The AHL trophy, won this year by my hometown team, the Hershey Bears. The team often eats where I work and brought it in. After the place was almost empty they filled it with champagne and passed it around. It's a tradition. Kinda tough to drink from though as it weighs about 20 pounds. I tried to get them to make a hot fudge sundae in it instead.

I can see that!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 00:58, pepka wrote:
All this language in front of their dad, who said nothing.

There's your explanation.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 09:35, abc wrote:
As far as I know, originally the word faggot was used to refer to a bundle of something and when homosexuals were burned (in the old times when they were considered evil) they threw faggots of dried wood on the fire and therefrom the term faggot developed as an insulting term for homosexuals.
Not that interesting though.

It's also British slang for a cigarette, but clearly they meant it as an insult.
ZoiyaKumar
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of ZoiyaKumar
Is there any suggestion on how to handle this kind of situation?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Turn to the parent and ask, "Does your child always address people my size with this kind of language?"

Or "Do you encourage hate speech among your offspring?"

Then leave the restaurant and find another gig.

Seriously, the best thing to do is raise an eyebrow and say NOTHING.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 00:58, pepka wrote:"If you see a guy who is 6 ft. tall, shaved goutee, tattoos weighs over 300 lbs and carries a purse, "

You forgot to mention "doing magic tricks"...
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
So my step-daughter is the right age to be a huge Michael Jackson fan and was very distraught at his demise. Naturally I set-up my 12 year old grandson with a line to use when the news came on and she started weeping. (Fortunately, I was present
when he used it.) It went like this (perfectly, I might add.):

We finished dinner and went to the living room and the news came on. Believe it or not they started talking about Jackson. Sharon started weeping a little to herself and her kid says "Mom. What are you crying about?"
Sharon: "Well, MICHALE JACKSON died."
Tyler (12 year old): "WHO?"
Sharon: "MICHALE JACKSON DIED. HE IS GONE!"
Tyler: "So? HE WAS OLD!"
Sharon freaked out.

It was great, almost as though I'd scripted both of them.

But then reality steped in and shocked even ME.

The 8 year old chimed in with "So, what's all the fuss with some child-molester kickin' the bucket?"

I didn't script that and was pretty freaked that he knew that language.

whaddoyado?

Have fun!
Terry V.

Seriously!

Quote:
On 2009-08-11 22:59, Bill Palmer wrote:...
Seriously, the best thing to do is raise an eyebrow and say NOTHING.
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
<BR>-"There is no place for laughter in magic." B.Martin-
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I don't know about over there in US (I think the "politically correct" standards are higher than here in Europe, which is probably not always a good thing), but the question you asked suggested the same answer in my head, even if not the same word and the same offensive way of saying it. But the contrast between the "male" things (big guy, tattos and s.o.) and the "female" purse would raise this way of answering to a lot of people. I am astonished that this was the first time you received the answer. In the same time, I am sad that this answer was meant in an offensinve way to homosexuals.
But this kind of humor (since I am persuaded that such humor is possible if played with good taste) is very delicate, and a child probably won't have acquired the requisite finesse to handle such jokes...

I would definitely drop that line from my shows.

Jonathan.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I was just about to PM David for permission to ADD the line to my show when I realized I'm not 6 feet tall, I don't weight 300 lbs and I don't have a goatee.

If adults responded as such, and you were prepared (which you are now), you could get a lot of mileage out of it, a la Jeff Hobson.

But kids responding like that is just an indicator of outrageously poor parenting.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I imagine you switched to the old Brass Knuckle coin star from that point?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 12:16, Frank Starsini wrote:
But kids responding like that is just an indicator of outrageously poor parenting.

That's the type of parent that expects the schools to teach values to his kids, yet undoes it all at home. Elective sterilization should be free in the U.S. - stupid people shouldn't breed!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Out of the mouths of babes.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL