The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic at a party?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
Hey all, my mom is having a party at the house on saturday and she told me that she thinks the guests would like it if I did some walkaround magic at the party.

I do all sorts of magic. I have been practicing an extended ambitous card routine, it's a mix of a lot of different moves and ideas from many different places. I've been keeping up on two coin routines, spongeballs, professors nightmare, bill switch and I want to try Richard Sanders "Identity" out, I have practiced it but not used it on the public yet.

So basically, do you all have any ideas, pointers or anything reguarding performing at a house party?

Ari
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
It sounds like you have a pretty good start there already. If you can, do something with borrowed objects, as those play really well in a walk around situation. It's nice that it is your mom's party as that will give you real world practice without all the pressure of a paying gig. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes.
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Mingle, have fun and charge your mom a lot.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Be careful with "extended" versions of things. A few phases of an ambitious card routine will do for a lay audience.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 22:48, Frank Starsini wrote:
Be careful with "extended" versions of things. A few phases of an ambitious card routine will do for a lay audience.

Agreed. If I do an ambitious card routine I keep it to a few phases. After that you'll start to see their eyes glaze over with boredom.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
At events like this I have always tried to keep it light and happy. Always doing this because it's fun.
Then I'll throw in a heavy effect, like say Stigmata.
That will keep them talking for a awhile so I can take a break for a bit.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Your mom's party sounds like a great place to start and cut your teeth working with the public.

Cards for men

spoonge balls for woman

everyone likes coins

Not a rule just a hint.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 11:45, montymagi wrote:
Your mom's party sounds like a great place to start and cut your teeth working with the public.

Cards for men

spoonge balls for woman

everyone likes coins

Not a rule just a hint.

Great advice!

I totally agree.

Mike
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 16:57, Michael Peterson wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 11:45, montymagi wrote:

Cards for men

spoonge balls for woman

everyone likes coins

Not a rule just a hint.

Great advice!

I totally agree.

Mike

Really good advice. If you have sponge bunnies the women, and men for that matter, get a kick out of them.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
My advice... just have fun!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Not everyone I hate coins. Smile
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 21:11, LBP MAGIC wrote:

Why do you hate coins?
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Leave them wanting more. Do a few tricks and then move on to another group.

Make sure that your routine can bear a bit (not a lot) of scrutiny. I've done a few parties for friends and sometimes there is someone who follows me around so that they can figure out what I'm doing. In this case I try to do something else, or I make sure that if there are angle problems that the person following is least likely to see anything.

I find that some folks who know me are more than willing to help me out by telling me that they know how I did something.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
One of my first routines was,
ACR,
Sponge bunnies,
Professors Nightmare,

I did the 3 effects as the history of magic and wahts nice there aa great involvement for guys with cards then the girls love the bunnies. But then you stand alone at the end with PN. This was a start for me and it lead in to other things I use the similar routine when I an out on the streets.

Hope this helps an have fun.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 21:52, Bryanpier wrote:
Quote:

Why do you hate coins?

always have for some reason. Never liked them as a laymen. Still don't like them. I have tried to get into it, so I got a few coin dvds....never slept so good.
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 12:59, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 21:52, Bryanpier wrote:
Quote:

Why do you hate coins?

always have for some reason. Never liked them as a laymen. Still don't like them. I have tried to get into it, so I got a few coin dvds....never slept so good.

I'm not a huge fan either but they are just so practical so I do a couple routines. Usually a coins across and maybe a hopping half.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
I know how to make a coin vanish for a kid and I actually do love one coin effect. Sankeys coins across. That one I am always ready for and people and myself love. Outside of that I prefer other things.
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 21:30, newtomagic wrote:
Hey all, my mom is having a party at the house on saturday and she told me that she thinks the guests would like it if I did some walkaround magic at the party.
Ari

So Ari how did the party and your performance turn out? Let us know.............

Tony
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:

Maybe if you get a CSB set and learn a good routine you will change your mind. This is visual magic at it's best! The routine doesn't take long and the reaction is strong.
So, Ari, how did it go?
Cheers,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
newtomagic
View Profile
New user
Merion, Pa
78 Posts

Profile of newtomagic
It went well. I started after everyone was just about done their meals. I did three card tricks, 2 card monte into the biddle trick into an ACR where at one point the card is in my pocket which always seems to "wow" the onlookers.

I then did a spongeball routine for the lady closest to me at the table (I was standing and the audience was sitting for the whole performance).

I then did professors nightmare (rope trick.) after I did this I took a bow as to say "that's all I have to show you right now" and I goty an applause from all ten or so people at the table.

I then later came back into the living room (claiming I was back for the encore) At this point I performed a new trick by Richard Sanders called "Identity". That went over really well and was fun because it was the first time that I had performed this trick for a real audience.

The last trick I did was a haunted deck trick. I did the version done with loops. When the deck started moving opened by itself the audience really didn't know what to say or think. But they were genuenly amused.

It felt good to try new material and it felt good to see the amazement on their faces. I felt like they were entertained and wanted more, which meant a lot to me. Because that is the point right, to entertain?

I also had a nice moment where the sleights came so natural and I was able to just focus on interacting with the crowd and being personable. It felt so good to not have to worry about doing all the sleights well and unseen.

All the practice deffinatly pays off....

What do you all think??

Ari
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic at a party?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL