The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Insurance Changes? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Does anyone know if the SAM insurance policy has changed this year?

I became a member of SAM last year so I could get the insurance, as it covered me as a Canadian working and performing in Canada.

This year I renewed my membership, and the insurance policy. However, on Tuesday I received a voicemail from the insurance coordinator stating that the policy only covers Canadians who perform in the States, and she wanted to know if I still wanted to get the policy.

I checked the SAM website, and it clearly states that it covers Canadians performing in Canada. The SAM president (Maria Ibanez) also told me last year that I was indeed covered (via this forum).

The coordinator said she needed me to respond before the next morning (Wednesday), as that was when everything had to be processed. Since it was too late in the evening to call (and I was heading out town very early the next morning), I emailed her. I explained that the website stated the opposite of what she was saying, and that if this is truly the case (that I'm not covered in Canada), then I not only don't want to renew, but I also want a refund for last year's policy (if in fact it did not cover me after all).

I also explained that I was heading out of town for a few days, and would get her response when I returned. I just returned, but there was no response. :-(

I just emailed her again, but now I'm getting a little concerned that I have no insurance for my performances.

Is anyone aware of the policy changing this year?

Brian in Canada
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings Brian, yes indeed that is what I told you after checking with the national administrator and getting a reply. Your best bet, rather than asking on this or other forums, would be to contact the national administrator, Manon Rodriguez, directly and having an answer direct from the national office who would be the ones dealing with the insurance company. Contact Manon at manon@magic.bz or contact the SAM President for 09-10, Mike Miller at President@magicsam.com

Please feel free to contact me if I may be of any further assistance.

Maria Ibanez
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Thanks Maria,

I have emailed Manon several times at that address, but I've received no response. I'll try contacting the SAM President.

Brian
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
Hello Brian:

You mention you have not had a response from the National Administrator (Manon Rodriguez), but actually, she was the one who left the original voicemail to you that you refer to in your first posting. I just spoke with her and she is working with the Insurance Chair. You can expect a response directly from her in the next week.

Mark Weidhaas
SAM President Elect
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Thanks Mark.

I just received an email from Manon, and she mentioned she was looking into getting everything straightened out.

Brian
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
[probably off topic, so I moved it]
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
It is with disappointment that I just received an email that SAM will no longer be offering insurance to Canadians who perform in Canada. They are also in the process of making changes to the website to clarify this.

Now I've got to start searching for a new Canadian insurance carrier that provides performer's insurance. Any suggestions?

Brian
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
That is sad, hopefully they will work this out in 2010!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Brian, you've probably recovered from this months ago - Certainly hope so. In the meantime and for anyone else facing this situation, visit Specialty Insurance's website at

http://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/......nce.html

I've been with them for several years now and have never had or heard a single complaint about them. They are consistent, affordable, reliable and totally professional.

They insure U.S., Canadian and Puerto Rican
Clowns and Santas
Face Painters
Balloon Twisters
Jugglers
Magicians
Fire Dancers
Stage Hypnotists
Caricature Artists
Street Performers
Comedy Acts
Aerialists
Storytellers
Minstrels
Children Entertainers

Premium: Coverage is for an annual term from April 25 to April 25 for $200.00 per person.

The limits of coverage are as follows:

Each Occurrence $2,000,000 (bodily injury & property damage to others)

Damage to Rented Premises $50,000 (to rented premises)

Personal & Advertising Injury $2,000,000 (hurting someone's feelings)

General Aggregate $4,000,000 (the most the policy will pay out during the policy year)

Products – Completed Op. Agg. $4,000,000 (the most the policy will pay out during the policy year)

Medical Expenses $5,000 (covers the medical expenses of others injured by you)

Carrier: Coverage underwritten by Lexington Insurance Company; a carrier rated A (excellent)

Deductible: Zero

Other Policy Information:

The policy provides protection for bodily injury or property damage to others during your performance in the United States, Canada, & Puerto Rico.

There is no charge for naming a venue (such as a festival, school or fair) where you are working as an additional insured. (Certificate of Add'l Insured is usually delivered direct to your client within 24-48 hours!)

Operations Not Eligible:
Fireworks, pyrotechnic devices, animals, mammals, fowl, athletic participation, your business employees or subcontractors, hypnotists doing the “human bridge”, trackless trains, moonwalks, jump houses, or other amusement rides and attractions.
Hypnotist Requirement:

Effective for the policy period starting on April 25th, 2009, Hypnotists must complete a safety course for stage performers prior to renewing your policy. We have added information regarding live and the online class options to the safety page of the website.

Audience participation is NOT ALLOWED when performing with fire, knives or a bullwhip.

Highly recommended over the ever-changing club policies.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2009-11-29 11:02, Skip Way wrote:
Brian, you've probably recovered from this months ago - Certainly hope so.

Personal & Advertising Injury $2,000,000 (hurting someone's feelings)

Skip, I have not recovered, and you hurt my feelings by your above statement. Now, how do I collect my $2,000,000! Smile

On a serious note, I had checked into this group, and was about to sign up with them, until I discovered this little note on their website:

---------------
Policy Requirements:
* In order to qualify for this commercial general liability policy, performers must have a U.S. mailing address.
---------------

Oh well, the search continues.

Brian
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On a serious note, I had checked into this group, and was about to sign up with them, until I discovered this little note on their website:
---------------
Policy Requirements:
* In order to qualify for this commercial general liability policy, performers must have a U.S. mailing address.
---------------

What?!?!? They cover Canadian, U.S. and PR performers - but, you must have a U.S. mailing address??? Sorry for missing that one, Buddy! It's ALWAYS the fine print that gets ya...
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Brian,

I've been using this company for the last several years. Ask for the performer's liability insurance. The only limitations are they don't cover the use of fire or animals.

http://www.hkmb.com/

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Thanks Kent. I was with them for one year, but then I started using a lizard in my show. Since I no longer use the lizard, I am considering signing up again. Unfortunately it means being unable to use Hot Leads or my Fire Book. :-(

Brian
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
I have rabbits and sometimes use a fire wallet. I think the SAM insurance is great for me, and you can join at any time.

But always wise to shop around.

Mark Weidhaas
SAM President-Elect
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 14:34, weidhaas wrote:
I have rabbits and sometimes use a fire wallet. I think the SAM insurance is great for me, and you can join at any time.

But always wise to shop around.

Mark Weidhaas
SAM President-Elect

That's exactly the reason I joined SAM -- in order to get the insurance. Unfortunately, SAM Insurance doesn't cover Canadians who perform in Canada. So, I'm back to looking again.

Brian
Tennispro
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Tennispro
This is a good forum I was looking for other options over the SAM policy and am glad to see that there are other options. Kent I would ask about what is termed "fire"? I use a feel flash paper tricks and would like to use the Extreme Change Bag (which has fire). Of course none of these are anywhere near the spectators. I could see maybe the extreme change bag is "fire" but is flash paper? (Probably yes but never hurts to ask)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Insurance Changes? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL