The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling magic in the dark (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Last week, a prospective client asked me to do strolling magic at 8pm for her "summer magic" pool party. I asked her what the lighting conditions were and it sounded like it was a typical back yard - with a few flood lights - but basically not a great situation. I went ahead and booked the gig, knowing that it was likely going to be a problem. Then I had an inspiration....

Recently I’ve started wearing a hat when I do strolling magic. I’m also a bike rider. I happen to have a “strap on LED headlight” designed be worn on the head. The idea occurred to me to strap it onto my hat. The elastic band fit perfectly around the hat and ta da.... I had a portable spotlight!

When I arrived at the gig the client was really impressed by how well prepared I was for the situation. I was able to perform all my close up in the darkest corners! The gig was one of the best parties I’ve done in a long time – really nice people, great party, all the magic worked well – and I got a nice tip!

I Just thought I’d share the idea with the Café. Now the sad ending. For some weird reason, as I tossed my bag into the car, I paused a moment and put the hat on top of the roof… You guessed it. I drove off with the hat on the roof and didn't remmber until I was 40 miles away. So now I have to buy a new hat and a new LED light! There go my profits for the evening!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Great idea Rich!!! Smile

Oh...and..uh...sorry about the hat. Smile
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
Nice idea!

how did you manage it that the spectator weren´t dazzled, when you were looking at them?

thanks,

rené
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
WOW! I never would have thought of doing something like that. Cool idea! Not sure that I would call it a "stap on" tho...LOL!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 09:42, Christopher Lyle wrote:
WOW! I never would have thought of doing something like that. Cool idea! Not sure that I would call it a "stap on" tho...LOL!
LOL! I was thinking about going for a monthly walkaround gig at a "teen dance" night my town holds every month and that is a pretty dark environment
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Well, it was an adult party Christoper!

The unit I had was designed to shine down at about a 45 degree angle. It's fairly directional so it was easy to manage keeping it out of the spectator's eyes. Also, I could switch it on when I was focusing on the close up. I bought this light about 5 years ago so when I go shopping I'm sure I"m going to find the technology has gotten better.

This one looks like the one I had but has more settings:

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/outdo......ourPicks

www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've used a mini maglite with the directional lense removed, so that it acts as a lantern. It was sticking out of my breast pocket, but the one on the bike helmet might work a little better. Another option is the LED headgear that a microsurgeon wears - I saw Duke Tumatoe wearing that when he played his solo in the audience, back in the late 80s.
DGillam
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of DGillam
Thanks Alan for sharing that idea and thanks Duke! Was Duke playing with the "All Star Frogs" back then? He still gigs around here, but with a different band.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I did a Holloween party last year and had the same problem. It was all around the house and when I got to the back yard it was dark.Funny thing is I was using the ghost deck that made it even harder to see the cards.
They called again for me to do it this year and that's all I could think about is what I am going to do for the people out back in the dark. That is a Great idea So thanks for sharing the idea. Going to give it a try.
Shawn
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I guess you could use an old miner's helmet with the carbide light in it Smile

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 11:10am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On second thought, Rich, maybe working in the dark would help in your case.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
You can get LED glasses (lights) in the car section at Walmart.

I bought two pairs..(back ups are nice)

That where I got mine a few years ago.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Great Idea!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Maybe you're on to something Pete! Now that you mention it, I did get better reactions in the dark!

www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I do balloons in a nightclub on Friday & Saturdays, I use a a set of LED lights on a neck holder. I found mine at Big Lots for $8.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
My son had a flashlight of sorts that is attached to an elastic headband. It came from some spy or military toy set. Anyway, he was cleaning his room and this ended up in the pile of stuff he wanted to donate to Goodwill, but I saw it and thought I'd rescue it and give it a try. It uses 2 AA batteries, and is adjustable up and down.

Works great! I mostly use it backstage for setting my show in the dark, but it could easily work for performing in dark areas. You'd just have to become aware of where the light is pointed so you don't suddenly look up at someone and blind them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I do several goth industrial events. fog, strobe lights, black lights, the hole thing.
I have some book lights with the flexie stem and put it in a top pocket aiming at my hands. better than on your head as the light wont look with you.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 22:37, Pokie-Poke wrote:
I do several goth industrial events. fog, strobe lights, black lights, the hole thing.
I have some book lights with the flexie stem and put it in a top pocket aiming at my hands. better than on your head as the light wont look with you.

I like this idea as I'd rather not walk around with a light strapped to my head. Is the light bright enough though?
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
ZoiyaKumar
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of ZoiyaKumar
That's a good idea, what about those LED shirts or the ones will go with the music?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling magic in the dark (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL