The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » ITR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Hi. I bought an ITR awhile ago and I was wondering if anyone could e-mail me with some good tricks with it - preferably not floating bill tricks though
Thanks
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
Just use your imagination and you will find several things that you can float that have never even been done before as well as things that have.

Aedryan
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I am just finishing a routine that floats a rubber band, right after doing CMHC.
The little rubber band becomes almost like a tiny cartoon character Smile

I won't go into the handling for it, but the hookup is downright outfront and "in your face" and can be done with Dan Harlan's Financial Attraction or an ITR.

I have floated just about everything that shouldn't naturally fly. (.. and is small enough) I think the everyday common objects are the most impressive. Like pens and pencils, etc. Money, and other paper items that can be crushed into a ball work pretty well. Look around, and if think the ITR will handle it - give it a go. What's the worst that can happen?? - whooops there goes my T....d again...... Ok, here's a hint: skip bowling balls and most live pets. (except possibly Yaks - I still don't know how Yak floats that one..)

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Smile Thanks. I suppose I will just mess about with it then.
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Ray Eldard
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ
90 Posts

Profile of Ray Eldard
Personally I think the Underground TM is a superior thread reel, but I believe Volume 2 of Michael Ammar's new "Thread Miracles" series has a section dedicated to the ITR.

After the floating bill, my favorite reel levitation is Steve Fearson's method forr floating a borrowed ring from his "Thread Head" video.
Magnus Maccormack
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Canada
67 Posts

Profile of Magnus Maccormack
It all depends on which ITR you're using (Full size or micro). In a stage setting you could gimmik a credit card with a bend staple and some wax to "float" the card horizonal to your audience. This is useful for animating the card as well.

In a close up setting you could use move in the direction of animating objects you are already floating. I like to pinch the thread between my middle and index fingers. Now you can control the movement of the object as well as the rate of retraction of the thread.

I've been known to float popcorn and/or limes from cocktails.

Hope this helps Smile
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>After the floating bill, my favorite reel
>levitation is Steve Fearson's method forr
>floating a borrowed ring from his "Thread
>Head" video.

I think I regret not buying the Thread Head video now, but it looked like I had all the routines on other tapes.

I think the best one ever is James George's PK Pencil and Ring. I first saw it on his video and went nuts. I saw it on Ammar's tape and went nuts. Then I saw the full marketed effect and went nuts (even while practicing it). When I performed it, my audience went nuts. But I didn't want to risk it breaking, so I used the thread from my Kevlar reel ... definitely worth the destruction. When that pencil starts spinning around and you flick it out away from you and it's still hovering ... then you slowly bring it back, do a few 'through a linking ring' convincers, it's beautiful.

James George has a good pull-the-bill-through-a-ring effect ... well, make it a pencil instead, bring it through all the way to your mouth and blow it to start it spinning and send it back through ... all right, I'm going nuts again, but I think it's absolutely sensational.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Maybe I will pull my Jim George Pencil and Ring back out of the box again. But this effect, along with everything else of his that I bought (Dancing Canee, etc) seems to come up way short of the descriptions. And it could be that the shipping delays add to my dislike.

Which Ammar Video was it on? Maybe that will convince me. But as long as I am talking videos, in my opinion the video that came with the Kevlar reel was VERY poor in quality and presentation. The Underground ITR video was way better (In my opinion)

But in fairness, I will take another look at it. And I might pick up the Ammar video (if I dont already have it) just to rexcite me, and allow me to use it, and recoup my investment.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
John
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of John
I'm not familiar with the "Underground ITR" is it an ITR or is it a video or is it something else? Could anyone help fill me in on this one?
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Which Ammar Video was it on? Maybe that
>will convince me. But as long as I am
>talking videos, in my opinion the video
>that came with the Kevlar reel was VERY
>poor in quality and presentation.

I'm pretty certain it was on Ammar's Thread Miracles vol. 3. However, let me double-check that tonight.

I agree that the Sorcery Shop videos were cheaply made. Actually, the Pencil and Ring routine was either on the one that came with the Kevlar reel (ITR vol. 2) or perhaps vol. 3. I think he went over how the hookup worked on vol. 2, but he never actually showed too much about it ... it's pretty much the same as the floating ball routine, if that's on there (a small fishing lure or something).

Better double check to see if it's on that video before buying another one, though, if you don't already have the Ammar ones.

Now, he marketed the effect separately for something like $32 (Canadian). For what you get (just a bunch of thread, a ring, and a pencil with a hole in it, which is explained on the video but when am I going to drill a hole in a pencil?), it's a lot. But I was pleased with the end result and that he detailed the entire routine. It is a cash-grab for James George.

>The Underground ITR video was way better
>(In my opinion)

You'll have to tell me about this one. Who makes it?

Whoever has the Thread Head video by Fearson, are there a lot of different takes on hookups and routines than the Ammar and Sorcery Shop videos? Enough to warrant buying yet another IT tape?
Morganite
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Morganite
Steve Fearson's method is one of the best methods that iv used. It can be adapted with many materials like notes, decks , etc.

gosman
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
To my knowledge, fearsons effect is not possible with ITR, only normal T. Smile
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
There is a wonderful firefly routine (using a mini lightstick) on the ITR video I purchased with my first ITR (I believe it's from the Sorcery Shop) and the pencil and ring routine is superb as well..
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
One thing I've found with floating bills. etc. is not to let them float for more than a few seconds. If you have a long drawn-out floating routine, people are going to figure pretty quickly that you're using some kinda thread. If, however, you just let it float for a few seconds (5 at the most), people are going to wonder if they really saw it or not. It's much stronger, I think.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:

...I've been known to float popcorn and/or limes from cocktails.

Hope this helps Smile

A friend of mine (also into magic) and I were at a dinner with some of our co-workers. I used him as an anchor several times that evening. Once, to "pass" a pretzel between us from across the table, and later as we were standing in groups, I floated a rubber band (after CMH) and dispelled any rumors that there was any attachment to me as it hovered 3-4 feet away from me. (he had his back to me behind one of my spectators)

David
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Adding to my last post:
I found the rubber band "levitation" worked better either as an "animation" effect (without full float) or as a demonstration of "static electricity" (this last bit inspired by Michael Ammar) I cause the band to cling to my forefinger and I can "lift" it off the palm of my hand. When the "charge" weakens, I quickly pull my hand away and rub it vigorously on my jacket (leaving the band hovering in front of me) before returning my finger to the top of the band. This "throw away" effect of the band waiting in mid-air awaiting my return was all the levitation I needed. Any more and they really did suspect some sort of "invisible" attachment.

David
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » ITR (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL