The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Review 40: Unfaked Book Test - Val Andrews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 40: Unfaked Book Test – Val Andrews

[sorry, couldn’t link to older threads]

AD:

You hand a book to a spectator. Other spectators call out numbers to select a page, line and word. No force, no stooges, no mis-calling. The spectator looks up that page, line and word. You read her mind by telling her exactly which word she's looking at.

REVIEW:
The booktest that Al Koran never used...
It can be appreciated by non-English magicians: use your cheap 200-page bestseller and give it away at the end. However, the page selection procedure feels too “mathemagic” for me - stick with MOABT if you can.

Overall rating: average

H.
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
do you mean it got the essence of adding a number and multiple it add 9 etc?
I READ MINDS.... YOURS TOO.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
mindgames.

Not really.
and what Harvey doesn't mention is it only costs £5.

How much Does MOABT cost?

Also ask Ted Lesley what he thinks.
No doubt if he is "looking in" he will contribute.
There are already some threads on here that refer to it.

Howard
Ken
View Profile
Regular user
Belfast
112 Posts

Profile of Ken
This is a great unfaked Book Test at an unbelievable price. Great value for money!

Harvey I think you are trying to wind us up with your reviews they are way way of the mark again.

Ken
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1701 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Interesting to see what Ian Rowland says on his web site about the test.

"Quite possibly the finest book test in creation, and I've used it for years."

I have enough book tests to last me, but I was planning on obtaining it based on Ian's recommendation.

Let's hear from those who use it.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Terry,
Took me a night to learn how to do it.Amazed a few colleagues at work the next day.
I've also introduced a way of selecting the word, sentence and page which makes it harder for the "brighter" ones to figure out how it is achieved.
I'd say GET IT rightaway.

Howard
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
Howard
The Mother of all Book Tests (MOAB) is $350 from Daytona Magic. This is where I saw it demoed. I am not familiar with enough book tests to say that this one is better than any others. However, this is much more direct with no math and a free choice. I would get this one if I had a place for a book test. I realize that the one suggested in this thread is good considering the price, but I thought I would put this one out there if you have some extra cash laying around.

Effect:A spectator is invited to take a readable and 100% examinable, 400 page novel, open it to any page. They are then told to pick out a word on that page and think of it. Without touching the book or approaching the spectator, you reveal the word. This is done in the most unsophisticated direct manner ever. In other words you tell them the word! This method makes all other book tests antiquated.

This book test is very is simple to perform and only takers a short time to learn, You receive a four-hundred page hard cover novel plus a booklet of instructions with tips on how to handle the effect by members of New York City's legendary Thirteen.

This effect can be done close-up, on stage, on radio or TV. It can be performed any time, anywhere; and it is instantly repeatable. All pages are different. Nothing is written down. There are no stooges of any kind. Everything may be examined. No breaks; no glimpses; no forces; no prompters; no preparation; no angles; no peeks; no sleights; no anagrams; no gimmicks; no short pages; no counting; no skill required. This is a true reputation maker.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
lesterkirad,
Thanks, I do know of the MOABT..but at $350
one would expect it to be good..it is obviously better than Val's but then again..Horses for Courses.
There is of course the "cheeky" Hoy Book Test!!

Howard
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
I will soon market this item:
a triple book test and I believe it is the best book test will be in the market (I bought almost all booktest in the market to compare it... believe it or not!)
the effect will be:

1. spectator think (yes, they never reveal it) any page number, open it and choose a word in any line he likes, and you while your back is turn is able to reveal his/her inner thought!

2. spectator choose a book , find a word (no force), write it down to a name card and slip it inside the book. then the book is again sealed inside a Ziplock bag.
and... another spectator will reveal the word! (yes, another spectator)

3. spectator choose a page, tear it to small pieces of papers, choose one only to choose another word... and you have a prediction that match the chosen word!

here is the best part!:

1. the books is ungimmicked!
2. can use any language!
3. no marking, forcing, pumping, anagrams, key word or any other things that used in many book test!
4. can be done for close-up, stage and impromptu! anytime, anyplace!
5. oh yeah, nothing is written down for the first effect!

I know this look a pipe dreams, but no! i made this about a years ago and used it in all my professional shows. because i must somehow find a way to duplicate the best book test available such as "flash back" or "MOABT" (mother of all book test) in my language and also find a way to give the books to the spectator at the end of the show for the souvenir.

so here it is after years of experiments comes my own "Nocturnal Book Test"!!!
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of afknight
mindgames

when do you anticipate releasing the Nocturnal Book Test and how much (US) will it cost?
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
still dealing with the elmwood company... right now I really need a good reviewer.
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Neil
I also wan't impressed with the Val Andrews one. It seems totally obvious to me.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5243 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'm not familiar with the Val Andrews book test, but the best ungimmicked version of a book test I've ever seen is Alain Nu's, and it's extremely cheap in that all you have to do is buy the issue of "Genii" in which he published it (I believe it was published in "Genii" vs. "Magic").

With Alain's version, you don't have any page number called out (and I think that having a page number called out makes a book test extremely weak). Instead, you can use ANY book, you need no advance preparation, you use no gimmicks, and you have two people look at words in a book as you riffle through the pages. You then with no equivoque (no fishing) reveal the two words.

It's brilliant.

Regards, Larry D.
kaitou
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of kaitou
do you have the issue number for it? I assume one could get the back issues at the magazines homepage.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5243 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I don't know the issue off the top of my head. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll call Alain.
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Harvey. You haven't seen the Val Andrews Unfaked Book Test worked! I have used it for umpteen years and it never fails to baffle. If you use Terri Rogers( the late pro Vent) idea, ie 'Give me a number between 1 and 200. Right page 187. To keep it a really ,random choice look up page 180, the 7th. word.' I use a choice of 5 books and have managed to eliminate even the SMALL amount of memory work used in the original. At £5:50p approx $2 it's bargain. You can only get it, and updated, from Val Andrews,16,The Firs,Woodbine Close Park, Waltham Abbey, Essex EN9 3RG, UK
Allen Tipton
UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Re The Val Andrews Book Test. There are several other variations given to make it look random.
Allen Tipton
UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1570 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2003-06-04 12:40, Harvey Nerzof wrote:
HN Review 40: Unfaked Book Test – Val Andrews

[sorry, couldn’t link to older threads]

AD:

You hand a book to a spectator. Other spectators call out numbers to select a page, line and word. No force, no stooges, no mis-calling. The spectator looks up that page, line and word. You read her mind by telling her exactly which word she's looking at.

REVIEW:
The booktest that Al Koran never used...
It can be appreciated by non-English magicians: use your cheap 200-page bestseller and give it away at the end. However, the page selection procedure feels too “mathemagic” for me - stick with MOABT if you can.

Overall rating: average

H.

Not much of a "review".

What sets this apart from the others, aside from the price?
Regards

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10545 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Well, in this one you really do use memory to recall the words from the books Smile....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Kephri
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm Sweden
195 Posts

Profile of Kephri
Have it and find it to be both clever and good!

But to me the absolute best adaptation of it is
the variation that is included in Terri Rogers
"The Master Key" book test, as you with that
can perform a "headline prediction", predicting
the choosen sentence long before the show.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1570 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Thanks for the clues, but, it's not much of a "review" in the classical sense.
Regards

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
Is there a way to get this "unfaked" book test in the US? Or do you have to order it from Val Andrews?
Always in motion is the future
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1935 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2006-10-25 15:54, barneyfife wrote:
Is there a way to get this "unfaked" book test in the US? Or do you have to order it from Val Andrews?

Do a search, many, many posts that answer you.
Buy used from someone.
Best of Luck getting Mr. Andrews to send you one.

s

p.s. I was certain he had passed recently, but I cant confirm it right this sec. Soooooo, if he is still among us, you will have no problem getting one from him.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Special user
How odd... I almost have one more than
794 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Unfortunately, according to the Magic Castle's website, Val passed away earlier this month... very sad; he was a wonderful man.

Seth
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
803 Posts

Profile of e-man
He was indeed a wonderful man and charming,
I will miss him,He and Lewis Jones I wanted to make a point of seeing my next trip to the U.K.God Bless you Val
e
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
kardini
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
136 Posts

Profile of kardini
Sad to learn that Val Andrews, Terri Rogers, Allen Tripton and Howard Wiles now are passed ...

I own the original booklet Ungimmicked Book Test by Val Andrews, but do not understand how what he wrote Allen Tripton HERE on MC in 2002 (about Terri version): "Give me a number between 1 and 200. Right page 187. To keep it a really, random choice look up page 180, the 7th. WORD." OK, obviously I undestand the system by Val Andrews and Terry Rogers version...but "page 180 and 7th. WORD"??.... In this case not see the line??? Only 7th. WORD in FIRST line????
(WORD????...) How?... Sorry, I'm confused with this important detail ...

Could someone help me understand this for PM?
website 2017 - http://www.kardini.com.br
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » HN Review 40: Unfaked Book Test - Val Andrews (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL