We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HN Review 41: Miracles From the Hip - Mark Strivings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 41: Miracles From the Hip – Mark Strivings

AD:

Advertised in Mark Strivings' catalogue – could not find it on the web. It's a treatise on PW.

REVIEW:

Mr. Striving’s challenge probably consisted in writing 50 pages on PW. He indeed achieved his goal, thoroughly creating inexistent problems and solving them with zealous accuracy. Two entire pages are filled with words one could practice with (one word per line!!!!)
I feel the explanations given in Mobile Mentalism (“What a Great Out” ) were more than exhaustive.

Overall rating: useless

H.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2745 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Wow Harvey,

Do I have to disagree with you on this one.
Is there some padding? Maybe, but I think that depends on how you look at things. I was so impressed with the content, I don't remember that even being a consideration.

My only other exposure to PW are the standard sources, the gimmick you mentioned from MM and Riggs book. I thought Mark went into far more detail about EXISTENT problems and really delved into the psychological shifts needed to do this effectively. Also, he covered how to practice, breaking a complex skill into its component parts, which is the best way to learn anything, let alone something of the nature as PW.

While I don't regret purchasing Rigg's book one bit, I felt I got a lot more out of Strivings'.

I usually don't respond to your reviews, even when I have disagreed, but I feel this one is so off base I had to. I would hate to see anyone making their choice of sources based on your review of From The Hip.

Bill
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Mr. Harvey Nerzof I respectfully would like to hear what you do feel is worthwhile on the market?

Honesty goes a long way but I would be very interested in hearing what you actually like.

L.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2745 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
That's funny Luke, I was thinking the same thing. Harvey, how about sharing some top ten lists with us? For example, your top ten books of all time, your top ten books in the last ten years, your top ten effects, etc. That would give everyone a better sense of your tastes and where you are coming from with your reviews.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Opinions are what makes this forum go. I not only think the book is a classic, along with Riggs, but I have seen Mark lecture on this and also perform. If you follow what he says, you will be successful in acquiring the Art of Pocket Writing.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
IanBrodie
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of IanBrodie
To be fair to Harvey, you can find out what he likes by reading his reviews - he's done plenty. To my memory, he gave a very good/excellent review to Hillford's Real Mind Reading, Busch's Peek Performances and your 7 Deceptions, Luke.

Admittedly, many of his reviews are critical of the product - but he's definitely not just criticising everything.

Rgds,

Ian
Ken
View Profile
Regular user
Belfast
112 Posts

Profile of Ken
Miracles from the Hip by Mark Strivings is a great book!

The views and opinions that I value are from people who have taken the time to put the material into practice.

Best wishes,
Ken
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
How much is Miracles from the Hip, and is it available only directly from Strivings? None of the Boston area dealers have it, and I can't find it on the web.
Smile
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Yes, it is only available from Mark. Email him at markyapril@aol.com

Also, ask to get on his mailing list. You will find it worth your while. Hope this helps.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Well if opinions make the Café work then I will add mine:
After reading Miracles from the Hip I found it to be "outstanding" and very, very helpful and complete.
Thank you Mark Strivings !
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Lee:

Actually, Hocus Pocus Magic also carries most of Mark Strivings' products, including "Miracles From the Hip". Check here:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com

I'd also like to add that everything of Mark's that I've bought is top notch. Plus he's a really great guy! Just my 2c.

Magickally,
Dave Birtwell
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
So does Ronjo magic.

Howard
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
I stand corrected. For a long time Mark kept his material only available through himself. Still, if you are a mentalist and not on his list, get on it.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-06-04 21:30, Bill Cushman wrote:
That's funny Luke, I was thinking the same thing. Harvey, how about sharing some top ten lists with us? For example, your top ten books of all time, your top ten books in the last ten years, your top ten effects, etc. That would give everyone a better sense of your tastes and where you are coming from with your reviews.

Luke/Bill,

Thanks for your interest. As Ian correctly pointed out, my reviews include a number of very positive ratings, from Kenton’s WW to Bob Neale’s origami. You may want to do a search by author – ALL of my postings are reviews (with a few occasional comments like this one). Most of the reviews are indeed critical, because I feel most of the items deserve it.

Concerning Miracles from the Hip, I don’t see how an owner of MM and Riggs’ previous PW book could need such redundant info. Hence my “useless” rating.

Cheers,

H.
Talisman
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Talisman
I would think twice before buying stuff from a man who put out the Walk Around Mentalism video (a completely waste of money). For my pocket, his reputation has been ruined.

Talisman, Israel
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Harvey: How can you say " Concerning Miracles from the Hip, I don’t see how an owner of MM and Riggs’ previous PW book could need such redundant info. Hence my “useless” rating "?

Giving a variety of positive/negitive reviews does not make one qualified, IMO.

How do you see "redundant" info!? Where in the Riggs book does it discuss 'Attitude'? Or 'Vision'? Or give such extensive practice exercises?! Or making custom pocket writing tools?!

Redundant? Are you reading the same book I am?! How much of this have you used in real life? Are you just an 'armchair' reviewer? Or are you a working pro?

Respectfully, Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2745 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Harvey,

My requests for top ten lists wasn't made in ignorance of the fact that you have given some positive reviews. I am looking for a more all encompassing understanding of what you find valuable as a mentalist. The kinds of things that you are drawn to, where exactly your interests lie. Simply looking at your reviews won't offer this, in my opinion.

Bill
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Riggs came first, and he deserves the credits; Strivings' additions are irrelevant.

Quote:
On 2003-06-08 04:26, Nicodemus wrote:

How do you see "redundant" info !? Where in the Riggs book does it discuss ' Attitude '? Or 'Vision' ? Or give such extensive practice exercises ?!

In the "extensive practice exercises" for example, Strivings' contributions consist in letting us know that we can practice PW anywhere, anytime, in the subway, in your office, while talking to someone etc. He then offers us 2 pages of words we could practice with.

I will soon release my own booklet, describing NEW practicing locations (including recently renovated grocery stores) and 50 different words to PW.
Available through Meir Yedid.

H.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2923 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Talisman,
A little off-topic, but I couldn't let it slide: I didn't find the Walk-Around Mentalism video at all useless. Specifically, the three-phase ESP card routine truly kills (but instead of the envelope, use the SUC).

Granted, if you have his book, you may not need to see the effects performed; but sometimes one can pick up subtleties by watching effects in performance rather than on paper (which is why I presume you bought the video in the first place).
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARD-winning show, Near Death Experience, opening soon! Http://neardeathx.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2745 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Harvey,

Strivings aditions are irrelevant? Do you feel that way about all additions to to existing material?

I read Rigg's first and still didn't feel quite comfortable with PW. I then got Striving's and many of my concerns were answered. First off, Striving's writing was clearer and more accessible, in my opinion. And this is by no means meant to knock Riggs; I thought his book was also well done it is just a matter of degree.

A small example of what I liked, one I suspect you will relegate to your claim of Strivings creating and solving non-existent problems: The placement of your hand in the pocket is not natural for many of us. Striving's suggestion to just develop the habit of doing this, sans PW, was right on target for me. If something is not natural you are going to telegraph it in most cases. You might want to read the opinions of an unknown who goes by the name of Dai Vernon for more on this area.

You know, I am not usually so sarcastic but your choice of words just seems to pull for it from me. This is the quality that many successful reviewers in the media have; stirring up controversy taking precendence over accurate and fair reviews. It may make a name for you but is it really the way you want to go? Maybe that is your preference. That would explain a lot.

You also seem fixated in this case on one small aspect of the many ideas that Mark offers regarding practice. There is a whole lot more and given you are obviously an intelligent man you certainly know this. So who is setting up straw men to knock down?

Check out the responses on this thread and I'm sure you'll see they overwhelmingly support the value of Striving's book. I've yet to see one response that agrees with you. That must mean something.

Also, when are you going to provide an overview of the kind of material that does interest you as I requested awhile back? As I said, it is not enough to simply read your positive reviews. They give some idea but I'm more interested in a broader perspective over a few examples.

Thanks,

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HN Review 41: Miracles From the Hip - Mark Strivings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL