The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HN Review 41: Miracles From the Hip - Mark Strivings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Perhaps the best way to reply would be to write a counter review of the product you feel has been badly rated? A review from other perspectives could be useful.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
Pretty harsh review.

It's very difficult to compare two similar books. Or two similar anything. One will always be favored over the other, in most cases.

John Riggs is a genius, IMHO. He really thinks outside of the box.

Mark Strivings is an excellent thinker as well. And he writes very well.

I've purchased stuff from Mark that *I can't use*, but that certainly wouldn't make it useless.

Writing on the same topic will almost guarantee duplication. But that's what makes it great. A different thought, a different twist, a different take.

I respect your opinion, Harvey, but wow.. that was harsh. I'm sincerely curious...have you created any books?

For all the reasons you critique, Harvey, I believe they would be reasons to make his book great, in addition to Riggs.

Blair

Rapid Stage Hypnosis Inductions Revealed:www.Mental-List.com/masterhypnosis.htm
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
I agree with Talisman on Strivings’ mentalism products: he mainly deals with simple tricks with a mental theme. The WAM video is a perfect example.

I don’t own “Miracles from the Hip” and after reading this thread (especially the positive reviews), I will definitely not buy it.

Also, comments such as “Mr. X is such a nice guy”, “everything Y puts out is outstanding”, "Z is an excellent thinker and writes very well", or "XX is sexually arousing" do not really help in the evaluation of a specific product. Especially if they’re coming from fellow PEA members and friends (check out the thread on Fat Free Mentalism for another example), or from magic dealers.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 11:35, Bill Cushman wrote:

A small example of what I liked, one I suspect you will relegate to your claim of Strivings creating and solving non-existent problems: The placement of your hand in the pocket is not natural for many of us. Striving's suggestion to just develop the habit of doing this, sans PW, was right on target for me. If something is not natural you are going to telegraph it in most cases. You might want to read the opinions of an unknown who goes by the name of Dai Vernon for more on this area.

This clever subtlety was already popular when Prof. Hoffman described his handling of the belly servante in "Modern Magic" (1876).

Anyway, I see from the previous posts that some people have now enough information to decide by themselves - this is one of the great strengths of this forum.

H.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
From HN: This clever subtlety was already popular when Prof. Hoffman described his handling of the belly servante in "Modern Magic" (1876).

And your point is?

As for enough posts to allow people to decide for themeselves:
7 for MFTH
1 against MFTH (HN)

You're right, people do have sufficient info.
Next topic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HN Review 41: Miracles From the Hip - Mark Strivings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL