The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Phoenix Deck - the successor of the Bicycle Deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark

For all of you who have not heared any rumors about the upcoming Phoenix Deck or did not read about it in other threads so far...

At this particular moment USPCC is approving the designs and will soon print the new magician´s deck, called the Phoenix Deck. The printing sheets are set and they look great.

Why did I came up with the idea of the Phoenix Deck? Easy. Over the last few years I dealt with uncountable gaff orders and printed several decks in all variations, in old style like th Gypsy Deck or the Medieval Tarot, but also in very modern style like the Jill Deck.

For years I planned to release a thin deck (like the blank Phil Deck) that would have the same look as your standard deck of cards. But this task was impossible as your favourite deck design (Bicycyle) is owned by USPCC. There are so many great card printing companies out there who can do great stuff for us, but as long as a design is owned by a single printing company, every idea of mixtures will come to an end. The solution? Please read further.

My idea was to establish a new brand and design especially made for us magicians. I am NOT talking about the 531st deck of fancy looking cards that hits the magic community on a monthly basis and that ends up on a collector´s shelf. I am talking about a working horse for all of us magicians around the globe. A deck that should look nice and modern, but not at all fancy and suspicious. A deck that has secret weapons built in that can be used but don´t have to be used. Well hidden and secret that no layman would ever find them. And if he would find them would not think about it as a weapon!

Bringing it to an easy statement:
The Bicycle Deck is for Poker players, but magicians can use it.
The Phoenix Deck is for us magicians, but Poker players can use it without ANY problems.

What is similar to a Bicycle Deck, what are the differences?

Similarities:
- the card stock will be the same, also the air-cushion finish
- the card case will look familiar and will use the back design on the back of the card case as it WAS USED TO BE. USPCC changed that recently and a lot of magicians are concerned.
- the faces will be the same like your favourite Bicycle deck (with a few exceptions)

Differences:
- the decks come sorted in the bricks and not mixed. If you only want red decks, buy only red decks! No problems to get rid of the blue decks then.

- The Joker has a new design, as the deck is called Phoenix Deck, it shows a Phoenix rising from Fire. Having a mythology bird as a Joker perhaps give you new ideas for torn and restore effects, burning cards etc. (BTW, there is only one Joker in the deck, do you really need two? Buy two decks...)
- The Ace of Spades is different, but somehow still feels familiar...
- all the other regular aces are still included but only as a backup if you do have problems with the new ones. There are new aces that have a larger middle pip, they look great in closeup but also perfect on stage! No more difficult-to-see ace routines!!!
- The back design is changed to the Phoenix theme. Can you spot the hidden oneway information on the back?...
- The deck setup will be different to the one you are used to. Joker, Ace-King of Clubs, Ace-King of Diamonds, King-Ace of Hearts, King-Ace of Clubs, the old three aces of Diamonds, Hearts and Clubs. For all afficionados of the Tamariz stack... do I have to say more? Smile

Perhaps you all heared of the bad news how USPCC has changed the politics about our gaffed cards. No more changed back designs, Ace of Spades or Joker on any Bicycle Deck. As this is my design: Welcome magic fellows, contact me with your ideas of gaffs, I CAN AND WILL PRINT EVERYTHING FOR YOU!

So just from the beginning I will realize a lot of standard gaffed decks.
There will be a marked deck available that will put a smile on your face as soon as you find the marking! PROMISED! Everybody did that when I showed them the prototypes. It is so well placed, easy to read, well hidden. As if you would have had one wish come true.

Together with Martin Lewis I will also release the S.U.M. deck (meaning Setup Marked Deck). This is even an improvement of a regular marked deck and will find its connaisseurs.

All standard gaffs like double backers and blank cards will also be available, Invisible Deck, Brainwave Deck, Stripper Deck, Force Decks etc.

The pricing is also interesting I guess:
I will do everything to get the price down to 3 US$ / 3 Euro per deck. It will get really interesting if you buy more than 60 decks. Because then you will get your own business card printed on blank faced Phoenix Decks FREE OF CHARGE! 60 Phoenix Decks will give you 60 free Business cards printed, 100 Decks 100 free cards with your logo on. Just imagine doing an Ambitious card trick and ending with your own business card. Leave the deck with the spectator as a souvenir and your next gig is nearly booked.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
663 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hi this sounds great I remember hearing about this a long time ago. Glad to see it finally going along. What about shipping? Where will you be shipping this from?
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I wanted to add the other images but you were too fast, as soon as a new posting is sent, I cannot edit anymore.

Chinese Proverb
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
The cards will be shipped out from the USA and Germany. Whatever is better. The only item still to be solved are the trick decks. They will probably be produced / sorted in Germany and have to be shipped from there. But I will find a solution for that, promised... Smile

Chinese Proverb
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
Very nice deck. I'll buy a few decks and try them out. Gonna create a lot of work for the card splitters if it goes over. Thanks for the pictures.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Will this be available to dealers, as well? Or will you sell it exclusively on your website?
Also, will a Pheonix Version of Twilight Angels be available (with Paul Harris' permission, of course)?
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
You CAN split cards, but you do not have to. I am thinking of starting a new price structure for custom printed gaffed cards on Phoenix card stock. This will make it easy and affordable to get your favourite Bicycle gaffs in a Phoenix Deck version.

Chinese Proverb
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
The three cards for McDonald's Aces for sure, please.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
606 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I like having two jokers. I have been using an idea I got from Doug Brewer of having two identical jokers. This allows for a duplicate card in an examinable deck, and makes certain effects a little cleaner (there is no discrepancy between jokers).
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I can fully understand you, Darrin. Even in a Bicycle deck you only get one regular Joker, the other one is a Guarantee Joker with a lot of text on.

For me I had to decide how to fill the 56 positions. And giving three extra aces was a better idea (hopefully) than giving a second Joker. So after opening the second deck you should not have the problem any longer Smile

Chinese Proverb
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
662 Posts

Profile of dduane
Very exciting!!!
"Can you spot the hidden oneway information on the back?... "

It's the 'lazy eight' pattern at the top center. It is reversed. Very invisible!!! (I cheated.... flipped it in Word...sorry)

Congrats! Can't wait!

Duane
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
...and this is not the real secret for the one way marking.

I thought it would be much more important if it would be visible even in a spread. So I moved the info to the side of the back. See it?

Chinese Proverb
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4353 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
My only concerns if I switched to this deck...why two jokers? They are used in many sandwich effects and are also great as duplicates. Don't want to use two decks just for one card each time a joker is required. Especially if you lose the deck with jokers in, as then you would have another open deck..with no jokers, and have to open another two just to get jokers for that deck.

The size of the pips on the Aces...will this now stop the Magician showing the same Ace twice when doing the Elmsley count as it will be more noticable...

Just a couple of points I have...
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4700 Posts

Profile of edh
Will the extra aces be regular sized pips. With the size of these pips doing an Elmsley count could be problematic.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark

Here you see the layout. Christopher, this is exactly the dilemma, you cannot get both and I had to make a decision.

I think the bigger Aces will be much more visual than before. If you perform up close the thin detailed lines will make the center pips light weighted. Only a few steps away from the spectator these thin lines blur away and the center pips get solid. And from distance a spectator will not even have the feeling that the centers are bigger than usual. But if you want to stay with the old aces, you see that they are included. It is not my fault that USPCC only prints 56 cards per deck Smile

I will see how the reactions are regarding the larger aces. Perhaps in the next run I can switch over completely. Another idea: I can make an assortment deck with double backers in all variations and blank faced cards also. In this set I can also add perhaps a few spare Jokers. Just an idea. The gaffed deck is not ready yet as I am still open for suggestions. For instance I think a good idea would be to print Skinner Monte cards with the Phoenix back design as this is nearly in every performer´s repertoire.

Chinese Proverb
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
662 Posts

Profile of dduane
OK,Card Shark.... I see the mark for the spread! The spectator will NEVER see that! (I cheated again....)

Thx, Duane
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
I found the one-way mark too! Easy to spot; but, only once you know where it is!
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1583 Posts

Profile of bugjack
This is a smart idea and after hearing about the USPCC printing issues I've been waiting for someone to do it. Congrats on being the first.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6786 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Fox Lake decks were doing exactly (to my perception at least) the same as your Phoenix deck. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. H

owever using Bicycle cards was a way to avoid having to underline that these are normal cards because every one (at least in the States) is using them on a regular basis or has been using them at some stage.

Being categorized as "magician cards" by the public destroyed the distribution of Fox Lake. How do you intend to go around this problem? Is it just with a nice looking background and elegant pips?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
bodybyfood
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of bodybyfood
I do like the new look aces. And in response to Lawrence O's question, with the advent of all the new decks recently, is this even really a problem anymore (being "trick" cards)? I think the bigger problem with people not trusting certain decks has to do with whether or not they look professional (don't know the Fox Lake ones, so can't compare). If a deck looks professional I think people will trust it.
Llynus
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Llynus
I'll definately be getting some to test out.

Nice work =)
Dizzidiz
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Dizzidiz
Nice! can;t wait! I'll definitely have to pick these up! Smile I LOVE the business card idea. do you have a mailing list? I'd love to find out about updates
KingJeux
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of KingJeux
I am impressed, really nice design. I'll pick up a few for sure!
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2009-09-03 19:24, Lawrence O wrote:
Fox Lake decks were doing exactly (to my perception at least) the same as your Phoenix deck. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. H

owever using Bicycle cards was a way to avoid having to underline that these are normal cards because every one (at least in the States) is using them on a regular basis or has been using them at some stage.

Being categorized as "magician cards" by the public destroyed the distribution of Fox Lake. How do you intend to go around this problem? Is it just with a nice looking background and elegant pips?

I have to agree with this. While I like the design, the deck is going to be unrecognizable by lay people, many of whom will be skeptical and suspicious of a "special" deck. While the old Bicycle design is drab and boring, it is also the most recognizable deck of cards. This kind of looks like a foreign knockoff.
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
576 Posts

Profile of Seeker
I too remember hearing something about this a while back.

I will definitely be looking into this some more. Watching for when the hit the market so I can write up some reviews and make a few split gaffs.

I spotted the one way feature. Its nice and invisible. Not to close to the edge though...

Good Luck and Keep Us Updated.
-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1491 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I use a wide selection of cards. I've never had anyone assume it was a trick deck. I like to show the faces of the cards to assure everyone the deck is well mixed up. I then go right into my effect. I never say things like "This is a regular deck of cards". I simply imply (by showing the cards) that the cards are simply cards. So for me this will be great. I also see lots of ways of "marking" the backs of these cards. I like the number of lines on the back design.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Since last year´s November I am discussing this "problem" from time to time with magicians who can remember of Fox Lake cards. I heard different stories about them and I cannot give you my five cents to it as I am too young into magic to know about them.

All I can say: life changes all the time. The ability of writing down these lines and talk to you all around the world is still astounding. That you can order things from Germany and get it shipped to USA, Japan, South Africa, Iceland, Norway, Chile and all other places on mother earth is just possible due to the Internet and the time we are living in.

Our experiences in Europe, or even here in Germany when doing card magic for real people is always the same. All laymen here usually have no problems about the Bicycle cards, even if they do NOT look familiar for them. We use completely different faces and other card sizes (like Bridge). Also the regular decks here have only 32 cards. But still every magician uses them without any problems. No, you cannot buy a Bicycle deck in a regular shop here. If someone asks, the answer is just: "This is the most common used deck in the USA." "Ah, OK." No more questions.

You could say: "This is the most common used deck in Europe. I found this deck when I was / performed in Paris, London (whatever) and I just love the artwork." No more questions, but this time they are even impressed, if the story is believable. And if you leave the deck as a souvenir at the table after your gig you give away a much more valuable deck compared to a Bicycle deck as this one is "priceless" for them.

Not everybody is buying his Poker decks at Walmart, if you go to Walgreens, you would get Studs, if you go somewhere else, you get other designs and brands. China is coming closer... So who really cares? The old rule still is valid: Why run when you are not chased?

Believe me that I will open up new doors in magic in the next few years that have never been opened so far. All you have to do is give me a chance with this deck.

BTW, the thin cards will be produced simultaneously, so expect great effects with these also. Oh, the cards are even thinner than the Phil Deck, as two!!! complete decks will fit into a card case. I get a shiver if I imagine the new possibilities.

Chinese Proverb
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I want one! When will the deck be released?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1611 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Before Christmas Smile

No serious: It can be that the decks are ready for me in about 4-6 weeks. The main order will go to a friend´s depot and from there a part of the decks has to be shipped to Germany. To keep the price down I have to ship them by ship and I have no idea how long this will take. Perhaps I will ship one or two boxes to Germany using UPS to speed up things.

Chinese Proverb
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Will they be in red only, or in blue also? And will they be in boxes of 12 decks or sold separatly?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Phoenix Deck - the successor of the Bicycle Deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2016 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.77 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL