The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Name and origin of this cut and restored rope effect? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I’m embarrassed to ask this question... I don't know the name and/or origin of this rope effect, which I have seen it performed mostly on stage:

The magician has a long rope (about 10-15 feet) and has a spectator hold each end. He openly cuts the rope with scissors. The ends are tied together, and the knot can be slid along the rope - anywhere the rope stops, it can be untied and the break in the rope appears to move. This is repeated several times, ending with the knot being removed from the rope and apparently restored.

Somehow I’ve missed this classic in my education – I would be very grateful if someone on the Café can direct me to the origin of this effect. – Thanks!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Pavel's "Super Walking Knot"
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Wonderful! Thank you.

www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The original is Paul Curry's. I first saw Doug Henning do this and was blown away. It is a totally different method and requires assistants to hold the rope. Siegfried and Roy also used Curry's method, which for the magicians is easier. Although, it doesn't have a restoration mode. I'm working on a way to do it without an assistant.

The Pavel version cannot be handled by a spectator very freely, and I would be afraid of that as they can see the gimmicks in the rope. Everyone I have ever seen do it, including Pavel, just tied the ends to a chair and/or mike stand.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Ah, the plot thickens...

Thank you, Pete - after I looked into Pavel's effect, it was obvious to me that the spectators can't freely handle the rope. I appreciate you giving me a heads up on that because this is not an inexpensive prop - running almost $300.00.

www.RichHurleyMagic.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I'm not sure who the creator is; Pete is probably right on. But if I am not mistaken, didn't Harry Anderson perform this effect with the rope tied to two chairs?
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Harry Anderson did the Pavel trick. You can not let it be handled, and it is a far more versatile trick.

The one Doug Henning did was performed with great skill, and you can only do one cut.
Christopher Rinaldi
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Christopher Rinaldi
Where could one learn the Henning version?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I don't remember the name of the Henning trick, but I bought mine from Abbott's.

There is a much cleaner & cheaper version invented by Magic Ian, which he calls "Loops". You can only do one cut with Loops, much like the Henning trick, but Loops requires very little skill to do, and you can make your own version for pennies.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
The one at Abbott's can be found by clicking here. It's called Knot Unexpected and was created, according to their advert, by Jim Steinmeyer.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yes, "Knot Unexpected," that's it. Of the three Magic Ian's "Loops" is easiest, cheapest, and totally examinable. Both "Knot Unexpected" and "Loops" only allow you one cut. With "Super Walking Knot," you can cut and restore all day long, but it is not examinable.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Franz H. played the parlor at the Castle years ago and actually did a version of the Paul Curry method combined with the Jim Steinmeyer version causing 2 knots near the two assistants to slide virtually to the middle of the rope where they were untied revealing a short rope in the middle and one long one on each side.

Now keep in mind the parlor is what? ... about 10 feet wide at the proscenium, then add the two dancers he used in the room (yes, you read that right) and take out a little space for the speakers (yes, a full sound system) The knots slid maybe 4 feet or so at the most.

lol... Possibly the most complicated rope effect EVER in relationship to the effect!
Ray Pierce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Doug Henning did the Paul Curry method on television and his touring shows. The Paul Curry method was available in manuscript form from Paul Curry. It was very involved method and that required 2 assistants and a big hook up, the rope could not be examined or handeled by the helping spectators. It is no longer available as most of Paul Curry's tricks. With all the stealing going on I cannot believe it is not on the market.

Later came the James Steinmeyer's method, I cannot remember if Henning did this in his traveling shows or not. It did become popular, but it is much like a Zombie, they just set in a drawer, never seen anyone do it. Probably because it uses so much rope.

Magic Inc. was the 1st to manufacture this item. And if you want to be really Politicly Correct, Slydini should be credited for the method. Steinmeyer switched from a scissors to a knife.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2009-09-08 09:11, Christopher Rinaldi wrote:
Where could one learn the Henning version?

I have the original Curry manuscript. I can scan it for you if you wish. Curry offers a method to restore the rope at the end and pass it for examination. Doug never did this method on his show.

You have to buy two rope reels that is used for clothes line to dry your clothes.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-09-08 18:53, Al Angello wrote:
Yes, "Knot Unexpected," that's it. Of the three Magic Ian's "Loops" is easiest, cheapest, and totally examinable. Both "Knot Unexpected" and "Loops" only allow you one cut. With "Super Walking Knot," you can cut and restore all day long, but it is not examinable.

Yep, that's me cheap and easy!!
-----------
Loops was and is an attempt to duplicate the Henning effect. It is virtually unpublished, except for those who have gotten
my lecture DVD or have seen that lecture.
So, the reference by Al, was probably ignored.
Talking about obscure "lecture" material, is like name-dropping. It just whizzes over
heads.

Anyway, using any rope and 2 minutes of preparation, you can simulate the effects mentioned and without the expense. Or, use it as a standalone cut and restored method.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I just started thinking about this trick and googled it up. I was hoping to find a video of the performance. I was blown away by this when I saw Henning do it on TV. I bought the manuscript for Curry's Sliding Knot in the 70's from Micky Hades in Seattle. As a young teen, there was no way in hell I was ever going to be able to perform it. Now I'm thinking about trying.

Bill H. above is incorrect about the spectators' ability to handle the rope. As I recall, the spectators sign a tag attached to each end of the rope, the spectator selects the spot about halfway between one end and the middle, cuts the rope and ties the knot. The magician then moves the knot to the middle of the rope. The spectator can untie and re-tie the knot. The magician moves the knot to the opposite side of the middle from where it started and it is again untied by the spectator. At the end of the trick the signed tags are inspected and the two pieces of rope may be given to the spectator to keep. That said, this is definitely a stage illusion requiring two highly gaffed assistants.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As I remember, Doug Henning never used the tag version. You have the manuscript, I do not. I realized the gaff at once, as I worded in an industrial setting and knew what was going on. Still the best version of all the versions, in my opinion.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Correct! Bill!

Doug was a very good friend. We met when he was about 17, and attending Abbott's GTG for the first time. I tell the story in the book! He was going to "camp out" in the Colon city park. It was raining!!! I knew he was an OK kid, as Denny Loomis had told me about him, My friend Chet Kubit and I had a motel in Bronson. We had the manager put a rollaway bed in the room. For the next several years, Doug. Denny, and I stayed at the Jerry Conklin "YMCA" along with Karrell Fox, Van Cleve (Haubold) Anne Gwynne, Gene Anderson, Wayne Burchell, Ken and Roberta Griffin, and "sundry" (!) other legerdemaniacs.

The method that Doug used required two assistants (not spectators) and "a bit of mechanical help". If you see a tape, listen for Doug's cue: "NOW!".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S. I have a photo of a teen aged Henning with SHORT HAIR!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
roningramii
View Profile
New user
Van Buren, Arkansas
18 Posts

Profile of roningramii
One note as to Pavel's Super Walking Knot and the price of this wonderful stage effect, I have personally gone to the trouble of making this effect for myself due to the price and wanting a specific color of rope. If I ever need to replace it, I will buy one! After spending the hours and hours to produce it, $300 is well worth it!
Ron Ingramii
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Name and origin of this cut and restored rope effect? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL