The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2009 entrée: Docc Hilford » » Your opinion about Derren Brown » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Hi!!

I wanna know your opinion about Mr. Brown and his work

thanks!
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
I love Derren!

I love how he's fooled the public and magicians as well.

I love his fresh approach.

I love Andy Nyman too!

We keep missing each other in the UK, but soon, my friend, soon.

And although this is about DB, I have to share this...

My indebtedness to David Berglas demands much more than a just mention on The Magic Café. I spent 25 years performing professionally before he single-handedly and completely changed my understanding and approach to mentalism.

As I studied every page of the magnificent tome, The Mind and Magic of David Berglas, I saw the real secrets of performing mentalism. For me the secrets aren't contained in the brilliant effects, but rather between the words. As was said thousands of years before us, "let those with eyes see," and, David, I think I see.

The endless subtleties hidden in the descriptions of his performances are evident to those who search for audience management techniques, blocking tips, ease of operation, clarification to the audience and the list goes on and on.

I recall sitting in the balcony of the theater in South Shields. David explained to me one of his personal secrets in the magician's choice concerning a bar and what seemed like countless bottles. I use the technique often. It's simple and concise, as is most of his work.

I have, over the past few years, earned the reputation of a mage who takes simple tricks, often forgotten and discarded, and breaths new life into them. What I try to explain in my lectures is that I stand in the shadow of David Berglas. That through his demonstrations, he has taught me that most tricks discard perhaps 80% of effect! The example that strongly comes to mind is ESPcology. An absolute lesson in extracting several valuable elements from a single, albeit well planned, method.

By combining and practicing the 28 rules outlined in Maskelyn and Devant's, Our Magic, and the techniques in David's book, one cannot help but become a good performer.

David, Thank you for all you have contributed and continue to contribute to, not only my, but all performers' understanding of magical theater.

I mention this here because I understand that Derren also uses a lot from the mind of David Berglas.
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Thanks Doc!
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2009 entrée: Docc Hilford » » Your opinion about Derren Brown » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL