The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Silver Shifter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
uknavynigel
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of uknavynigel
I have Silver Shifter and it says there are many thing you can use the gimmick for. Any ideas on this as the one effect shown is a bit limited, though it works? Well? Smile
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I believe there was a 200 post topic on this subject in the reviews section in the site.

I personally think this prop is overpriced for what it does, although can understand why it is so expensive to make.

Smile
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
What is Silver Shifter?
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
Run a search for 'Silver Shifter' on this site.
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Guys I was just joking!!!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-06-09 11:33, phonic69 wrote:

I personally think this prop is overpriced for what it does

It was just put on the market this year by Steve Brooks. He is making a book with more effects for Silver Shifter. Several effects already come with the instructions when purchasing the illusion.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
The last entry in this thread was over a year ago. Does anyone know if this book is out yet or if it is coming out?

Thanks,
Jeff
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
Quote:
On 2004-07-13 17:28, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
The last entry in this thread was over a year ago. Does anyone know if this book is out yet or if it is coming out?

Thanks,
Jeff

I guess not . . .
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Oh, well....sigh.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
A book had been planned, but put on the back burner for a variety of reasons. For the record: Though KEITH LACK and myself co-authored and published SILVER SHIFTER as a team effort, I personally have not been involved with the product since its initial release. Just so ya know. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers here but I did not care for Silver Shifter. It's a cute idea but not a real practical item.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
No offense to Steve, but it wasn't for me either.

It looked too fake, and people caught it right away.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
I have a very unique effect with the silver shifter...I have fooled a number of well known magicians with it as well as layman...I'm contemplating putting it in a book that I am doing with Paul Cummins.

Mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Mike, Curtis Kam also discussed some ideas that might be suitable. There is a killer sponge ball vanish that has applications here. Would have to PM on that. Let's just say I asked them how many fit in a ** and all went hmmmm when the subject came up Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I don't want people to feel like they've been misled by the initial enthusiasm I (and a lot of other guys) expressed for this prop. The fact of the matter is that Steve asked a lot of people for their feedback, and a lot of very clever things were forthcoming. I'm not even sure of the exact number anymore, but there were enough for a book, most of which were entirely different from the coin bending effect that was used to advertise the prop.

Many of the applications also addressed the concern that one part or another of the prop did not look "realistic" enough. All I can tell you now is that if you don't like the look of the prop, that's just a starting point to begin your thinking. All the guys who got around that issue did so because they knew the problem could be solved. Of course, those who simply decided it would never work ended up with nothing.

The material I submitted and everyone else's is still ready to go, and would be published today if not for one simple fact. Re-read Steve's post above. Since he (for reasons that will not be discussed, period) no longer has any involvement in the production of the Silver Shifter, you can understand that he has little incentive to invest the time and money in producing the book.

I have tried to get him to release the material anyway, and Steve may still do so, if he can find a way that will justify the investment of time and effort.

While this may be more disclosure than our host has intended, I do not want to give the impression that I, or the others who provided endorements, have abandoned this product. Rather, it seems the product has abandoned us.

This is an unfortunate situation, however, I hope to see it resolved. 'till then, I encourage purchasers to look past the problems in order to see the solutions for themselves.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
watchdog
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of watchdog
Great words there Curtis. One man's rubbish is another's miracle. Think about utilizing the gimmicks poorest qualities to your advantage.
Got a lemon? Make lemonade.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I bought the Silver Shifter but sold in on Ebay soon after. My complaint was the silver pigment would come off on my hands after only briefly handling it. I don't know whether that was a defect in the product or related to the chemistry of my skin but that problem alone made it an impractical gaff to ever use.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
That is really the main reason I don't care for it that much. I can see the other uses for it as I have thought of some of them Myself. But with My hand sweating problem I have anyway I think the stuff would rub of on My hands even more.

I am sure tho that some of the guys on here have come up with some very good ideas with this item. It is easy to fix one of the draw backs it has and once that is done you can do somethings with it.
coinlover
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of coinlover
Hi Curtis ,

I have bought a full set of Silver Shifter (with companion coins). Last year you said you have some routines and ideas with those companion coins. Will you put them up to your comming DVD ?
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Is anyone using this regularly in their professional repertoire? That would seem, to me, to be the acid test.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Silver Shifter (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL