The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » New here and looking for direction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CRO9207
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of CRO9207
Hello,

I am going to start teaching Sunday School again in October and was looking for a place to learn some simple magic tricks that would tie in the gospel message for kids ranging from 5-8 years old. I have never before performed magic, but thought it would be a fun way for the kids to learn the gospel. I have done some searching with youtube and google, just looking for a little more advice.

Thanks, Ryan
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Welcome to the Café Ryan.

I would suggest you give Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co a try. Here is their web address http://www.GospelMagic.com
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Ryan Where do you live? There is an organization called the International Fellowship of Christian Magicians, usually referred to as the FMC. They have local chapters all over the U.S. I think that this would be a good place for you to start. Search out a local chapter and find out when they have their monthly meetings and start attending. Once they know that you are serious about what you are wanting to do they are always eager to share with you so you can use these tools to further the Gospel. There are also conferences and/or conventions that are held all over the U.S. at different times during the year. The International has a whole week long conference each year where they have every type of performing arts that you can think of to share the Gospel. There are several lectures going on all day long each day for all these performing arts. So if you are really serious about this the FMC would be a good place for you to attend.
klf1964
View Profile
New user
Northern Indiana
24 Posts

Profile of klf1964
Get to know the staff of your nearest local magic shop. Chances are they've had many people come to them with the exact same question over the years. They are a great resource and I am always happy to pay a little bit more to help keep them going, as long as it's within reason. Many of them host clubs like FMC or can direct you to them. Many times they can mentor you, or you will meet someone with similar interests and more experience just hanging around the shop. A few months back I went into a magic shop in Columbus, Ohio. We were there on sort of a mini vacation. I was amazed at the atmosphere of the place. Guys just went down to hang out. Help each other with tricks or chew the fat. We even met a fellow from the church we were planning on attending the next day, which I thought was way cool. We don't get quite that much traffic at the local magic shop, but they are growing and the counter help always has wonderful recommendations.

Another tip (just because it took me a while to catch on to this) is to decide what you want to teach then find a trick that will help you illustrate the point. DOn't find a trick that's fun to do and then try to stretch a Gospel message around it.

Finally I would strongly recommend some of Duane Laflin's DVDs. The the DVD set called The Art of Gospel Magic is a wonderful resource. I also have his silk fountain video and his Beautiful Gospel Magic book, which are both very helpful. I also understand he has done some videos that walk you through full routines with lots of spiritual applications.

God bless you in your efforts. This is the same age of kids I work with and it is just amazing to watch their faces when they "get it" and, I think magic is especially helpful with this age. It gives you a level instant credibility and it helps attention challenged kids stay focused, so they can actually hear the message and, hopefully, it can make some complex issues easier to understand.
CRO9207
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of CRO9207
Klf1964, I agree, it is great when you see the light go on and the kids just "get it", especially for the 1st time.

Thank you all for the advice.

I get to meet my new class in 2 weeks.

Thanks again, Ryan
KENNYRB
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of KENNYRB
I would also suggest that you spend time watching other live performances to see how it is done in real time. There are so many aspects to a successful performance that do not get caught on video clips or even DVD's. Watch as many live pros as you can.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi Ryan! Well, I will give you a "plug" for our web site which most other FCMers are probably tired of reading with me plugging it constantly. It is http://www.ChristianMagician.org We don't sell anything on the web site, we just post there from time to time various Gospel magic programs we produced for cable access. More programs should be added there shortly. I recommend Randy Craven's "Teddy Bear" silk effect from program #8 of Now That's Magic! for your age group. Personally, I purchase many of my props from Duane Laflin, Barry Mitchell, David Ginn and Steve Varro (Dock Haley). MagicBob and I also write a web column from for The Newest TOPS magazine through Abbott's Magic (www.abbottmagic.com). Great to hear from you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » New here and looking for direction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL