The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2003 entrée: Ted Lesley » » Magic and Mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
How do you perceive the relationship between magic and mentalism, or is there one?

Do you prefer one over the other, and why?
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
I think, Mentalism is much harder to do than magic. It needs more "guts" and the performer must be a great showman, to put mentalism over, convincingly.

Magic is easier in my opinion. Smile
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Let me come back to your question Steve: I prefer mentalism over magic also for the reason that mindreading is the more intelligent kind of entertainment.

Another reason is that the props for a mentalist's act fit into a briefcase, in which you can also collect your fee after the show. Maybe you need a plastic bag for the props to use the empty case for the money only..... Smile

Magic is sometimes well paid also but a mentalist gets, as far as I know, even more money for his work and I think for this reason some magicians become jealous and expose the tricks of the mentalists to the public, to show them "how easy it is" and that is a pity.

ESPecially

TED Smile
Ted Lesley

Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
A follow-up to Mr. Brooks' question:

How do you differentiate between what is mentalism and what is magic?

Thanks,

/Matias
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Ted, I admit I am a big fan of your work. I usually put one or two magic effects into my mental shows. For example your ungimmicked six card repeat makes a great opener for my mentalism shows. Do you also combine both from time to time ? Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
On a related note...if you do combine mentalism and magic in a single show, how do you transition between the two?
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Scott,

I think that it would kill the Mentalism. Everyone knows magic has a trick to it but, they don't for mentalism. If you come across as a magician they might think the mentalism effects are tricks.

Lee
Larry Becker
View Profile
V.I.P.
241 Posts

Profile of Larry Becker
It never bothered the greats of mentalism, i.e., Dunninger, Fogel, Berglas, etc.

Larry Smile
Visit our website: www.MentalismUnlimited.com
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Let me mention this, especially since Larry Becker is in the house!

On his wonderful Stnading Ovation DVD, Mr. Becker performs a killer Card To Wallet routine in the middle of a mentalism show.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with combining magic and mentalism if it fits your performance style. Trust me, the audience will let you know whether or not it plays!

See ya!
Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I agree with Pyro... Mentalism has a mystique of it's own and something perceived as a magic trick would ruin that, or at least put it in a different realm.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
I understand the concern and for some styles I'm sure it would "ruin" the effect of the mentalism but for others it works and works wonderfully. I'm interested in how those for whom it works transition between magic and mentalism or if they bother with any overt "transition" at all.
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
I'm with Pyro and Slim,

of course it can be performed together... but obviously it makes a different impression(!)

Of course the spectators won't "protest" - just as they won't protest if someone shows them only magic. Well performed they will obviously enjoy it, be it magic or mental magic or a mix of whatever. But the end result differs.

I look on it like this: If you saw, say, a fire eater perform, and all of a sudden you have reason to suspect he "cheated" in one of his stunts. Would this affect your impressions of the other stunts? Of course it would - your mind set would be different. You may still enjoy the performance, though.

However, to make sure it's not forgotten, my question to Mr Lesley was slightly different one:

How do you differentiate between what is mentalism and what is magic?

Thanks

/Matias
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Maybe, if you use more of a Mentalism magic. Like the card effects of Derren Brown and a few others. I just think magic and mentalism shouldn't be blended.

Lee
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Friends,
To make my viewpoint clear once more, I perform Magic and mentalism in the same show nearly every time. My last appearance was on a magic convention last week. The tricks in my show were:

Six Card Repeat
The Tossed Out Deck
My CT Routine
Gypsy Thread
Linking-Finger-Rings
Pegasus Page

This was a complete "MIX UP" of mentalism and magic. How the audience reacted you can see in this thread. Look for Felix Farell`s posting "Winterberg convention"

Any more questions? Feel free to ask!

TED Smile
Ted Lesley

Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Yes, I have another question: When the laymen later describe you and what you did, I'm certain they use the terms: amazing, great, fantastic etc.

But do they, additionally, use terms such as: magician, tricks, David Copperfield etc.

Or do they use terms such as: psychic, genuine, etc and (seriously) ask if you can see their future etc.

Sincerely,

Matias
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Matias:
They ask me usually, if I have "psychic powers".

TED Smile
Ted Lesley

RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Ted,

I really WAS wondering . . . do you?
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Randy:
Sometimes, if I do a cold reading on stage, I believe, that I have "real" psychic powers, because it happens, that I suddenly tell the spectator things, which i really didn`t know, I could give you a few examples, which were witnessed by many people and this particular experiences were frightening, even to me. But such a thing happens only once in tenthousand performances.Telling these things by chance was completely impossible. So I ask myself very often,how that could happen......!
Any questions? Feel free to ask!
Let me know, if you want one of these experiences described by me!

TED Smile
Ted Lesley

Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Quote:
They ask me usually, if I have "psychic powers".

Good to hear! Smile

Thanks for your answers Mr Lesley.

/Matias
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The June 2003 entrée: Ted Lesley » » Magic and Mentalism » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL