The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » "Ideal Levitation: Brainstorming" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Atco, NJ
6062 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I posted lots of "What I thought were Good Levitations."
http://www.levitationillusion.com/Levitations.html

Ray Pierce wrote:... "what makes something good."

I've heard many comments and read many posts on "good and bad levitations"

Some of the most pointed responses are "it looks fake" or "the hoop pass gives it away", "the slumping back gives the pivotal point away" and similar comments.

What would the ideal levitation be?

"Stage Flying" such as http://www.zfxflying.com/ blows away all levitations. David Copperfield's Flying is just a wonderful routine, and it is his version of stage flying.

What would "look real"? The floating without any means?

I would love to read your comments related to an ideal levitation. Obviously, presentation and music have a big part in it.

Dennis
Dennis Michael, Atco, NJ (856)768-2281
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I have been working on this idea for a while. It was inspired after I saw Copperfield fly for the first time and I was always a bit upset that he never flew outside or above the audiences heads.

As such, I have created the following routine, it has never yet been performed, but would cost only slightly more than the original version by Copperfield. However, it does need to be performed in very specific places, in buildings which have roofs which can open. There are several of these in Britain, and more in Europe.
(p.s it needs a better name?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Defying Gravity

The Effect:
The routine starts much in the same way as Copperfield's originally started; with the magician rising slowly and gracefully into the air. He can fly all around the stage.
To prove there are no strings however, two hoops are used.
The first giant "ring" extends from a pole arm and rotates all the way around the performer as he is suspended in mid air, this can be however high off the ground as they like (depending only on how high the pole can reach). Then a second giant hoop on a pole arm is introduced and once again rotates around the performer AND the first hoop. Since this second hoop is larger, it encompasses both the performer and the first hoop and spins in the opposite direction; say counterclockwise, presuming the first is rotating clockwise.

It must be noted that the performer can float in the middle of these two rotating hoops as long as he wishes, they DO pass over him, and this does not effect the performance.

The same perspex box display can be used as was in the original Copperfield show. (I.e The magician can fly into a glass box and then have a lid put on it) However this is entirely optional and personally I would not use it. If it is used I would recommend sugar glass be used on the front pane, so the magician can seemingly "punch" his way out of the box, instead of removing the perspex lid.

For the finale of the act, the stadium roof opens up, and the magician rises and flies over the heads of the audience. This is the most dangerous part of the act, and will require A LOT of safety rehearsal, but it can certainly be done. He may fly all around the stadium, with no roof or apparent support above him. He then flies up and out of the stadium, hundreds of feet into the air if desired before appearing to fly away.
(note: Though the audience see him fly high up and begin to fly away, they cannot see where he goes too, as they are inside the stadium)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think? Yes its expensive, but not as expensive as you might think. My father is an engineer manager and I asked him about the price of
the equipment needed and it was surprisingly less than I expected.

Any suggestions, questions or advice is VERY welcome.

I think (and hope) this is a new idea, appologise if it already exists. I don't believe it does.

By the way, this is a copy of my other thread, but it seemed appropriate to post here too. Smile
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1342 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Something Angle resistant. (there's really no such of a thing as a perfectly surroundable levitation.

Something smooth.

something where the "rise" time is adjustable... I prefer a faster "up".. and a smooth down...

No "box" underneath.. or one at least disguised as something else. Too many commercial levitations have an odd black "box".. why do you need to levitate somene while standing on a box.. unless the box is the trick?

Quiet.

I don't know why more magic builders don't build their levitations with a worm drive.. they're quiet.. and can be hidden in any number of places.. behind a curtain, in a lamp post.. in a torch, in a couch, behind a mirror....

Portability is important.. but again.. a worm drive is small and quiet.. and could be attached and bolted to the underside of a platform in moments.. perhaps using coffin locks so you wouldn't even need bolts!
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I love Levitation, I really do. As you can tell above; but I do not know what a worm drive is.

Can you please tell? Or atleast PM me if you cannot reveal it here Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Atco, NJ
6062 Posts

A worm drive can be found by a search engine. Type in "linear actuator" or click here: http://www.firgelliauto.com/

The problem is finding the right one with the right speed, the desired height (lift) for the correct weight and really quiet. Add in battery powered or electric powered. Keep in mind it isn't directly under the person so the lift weight increases.

Concealment is extremely important. Worm drive means "screw type" vs hydraulic.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
So basically we are talking a piston?
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
My Bed levitation can be done completely surrounded....really. I did this in the round at the Drury Lane theatre in Chicago. Rise and fall times can be made adjustable. See it on my website.
Worm-drives are not that quiet compared to other motorized systems and are slower than other systems. Motors under load will resonate through surrounding structure. Hand-crank systems are extremely quiet. I have never seen a true hydraulic levitation. That seems to be the word used generically by folks for linear actuators, pneumatics, etc.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Atco, NJ
6062 Posts

A piston is generally referred to an engine of a car. Hydraulics do use a smaller piston to push up a larger one. Elevators up to 3 floors use a hydraulic system. That is like some jacks in a auto repair shop. This is not the best type for levitation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » "Ideal Levitation: Brainstorming" (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.167195 seconds, requiring 38 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [1] [6] [9] [5] [9] [5] [0]