The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Badlands Bob(Dice trick) (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
hboy
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of hboy
Does anyone know where to get Badlands Bob or other version?
Viking is always out of stock on this item.
I had even seen the Japan magician performed the dice with crystal box version.
I think it is very powerful close-up item.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
hboy
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of hboy
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 16:04, Peter Nardi wrote:
http://www.alakazam.co.uk/magic-shop/50-......ing.html

Thanks for your help. But do you know the size of box and dice?
and is there any USA magic shop sold this item except the original viking.
Thanks a lot.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I had it, sold it. Didn't think it was that great. It's one of those items you think you HAVE to have and sounds cool but when you get it, it's not so cool after all. That's my experience with this item. I mean, it's made well and all but ...
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
To me it was more of a puzzle than a trick.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
This is a good trick--the presentation provided is what makes it good. Instead of the gimmick as supplied I adapted my close-up pad...

Julie
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
I have never been able to get the die to turn reliably to a specific number.

I have seen one other person do it. He got it to work, but his handling was crude and it seemed obvious. It would be an ok effect if it were more mysterious, but even then it would need great presentation to elevate it.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
When Rich used to perform this, I always loved watching it. Never picked one up though. But it seemed to work perfectly for Rich every time.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Maybe the original Viking/CW piece works better than the knock-off? I don't mean anything negative to anyone here, but this is a bonafide possibility...

Julie
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
For those of us Collector's Workshop historians, Badlands Bob was the first piece they sold that they didn't manufacture. I never liked the way the die was made, specifically the 1 side (the gimmick)...since if you looked in the (albeit TINY) window, it didn't look right. Still have my original BB from 1988. Sits in a display case.

Steve
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2009-10-13 20:07, Stevethomas wrote:
For those of us Collector's Workshop historians, Badlands Bob was the first piece they sold that they didn't manufacture. I never liked the way the die was made, specifically the 1 side (the gimmick)...since if you looked in the (albeit TINY) window, it didn't look right. Still have my original BB from 1988. Sits in a display case.

Steve

Mine, too. In a display case.

Robert
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
For the record: Badlands Bob is and has been owned by Viking/CW for a number of years.

George bought the rights when the original supplier could not keep up with the demand.

Has anyone actually learned the handling well enough to become proficient and then tried it out with real people using the presentation supplied? It is worth the effort.

(The modified close-up pad makes all the difference in the world!)

Julie
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 16:11, hboy wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 16:04, Peter Nardi wrote:
http://www.alakazam.co.uk/magic-shop/50-......ing.html

Thanks for your help. But do you know the size of box and dice?
and is there any USA magic shop sold this item except the original viking.
Thanks a lot.

There is a knock-off version called - Obedient Die. You can check it out @:

http://goldsteinmagic.com/close_up_magic.html
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=878

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The knock-offs seem to miss the entire point of the trick. Check their description of the effect and then check the Viking/CW site...

It's no wonder some magicians don't like the trick.

Buyers of the knock-offs beware!

Julie
hboy
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of hboy
Thanks for Ustaad's information.
and I agree with Julie's comment.
I also saw Japan reproduce this dice trick.
Why viking stops to produce the original one to offer those who collect original items.
hboy
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2009-10-13 22:22, Julie wrote:
For the record: Badlands Bob is and has been owned by Viking/CW for a number of years.

George bought the rights when the original supplier could not keep up with the demand.

Has anyone actually learned the handling well enough to become proficient and then tried it out with real people using the presentation supplied? It is worth the effort.

Julie

I haven't seen the current Viking/CW version, but I have the one that was put out by the ORIGINAL Collectors' Workshop (Rich Bloch and Nick Ruggiero) years before CW was sold to Viking. It's no big deal, but just wanted to correct Julie's statement that "George bought the rights when the original supplier could not keep up with demand." I believe that the correct information is the George acquired the rights to produce and market the effect as part of the deal when he purchased Collectors' Workshop; however, I am certainly willing to stand corrected if I am wrong (I am not privy to the details of the transaction between Rick/Nick and George -- am just a long time friend and customer of the original CW and was one of the early purchasers of "Badlands Bob" when they first put it on the market.)

BTW, when done properly (i.e., original routine using the original props) it is a VERY strong effect.
Dick Christian
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Dick

The transaction to PRODUCE the apparatus occured AFTER George Robinson bought CW. (Honest!)

This is my last post concerning Badlands Bob.

Julie Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
I can very well understand Julie's concern and how she feels regarding the knock-off of the original effect 'Badlands Bob'.

My above post pointing toward the knock-off version was not at all intended to advocate the knock-off, but was meant just as an info that knock-offs dose exists. I am sorry in case my post read that way as it was certainly NOT the intention.

OK, here is the add comparison between the original & the knock-off:-

Badlands Bob by Viking Manufacturing
A spectator is asked to try and change the uppermost number on the die by shaking the box, which he soon finds is impossible. The performer then asks the spectator to choose a number between 1 and 6.

The box is simply pushed toward the spectator and lo and behold, the uppermost number now matches the spectator's selected number!

The Obedient Die (Knock-Off version)
Hand the "Obedient Die" to your spectator. Give them as many attempts as you want, to try and make the die roll in the box.

Then tell them, that the "Obedient Die" is so well trained, that not only does it roll only for you, but that you have it trained to roll a one, EVERY time!

Quote:
On 2009-10-12 22:03, Julie wrote:
This is a good trick--the presentation provided is what makes it good. Instead of the gimmick as supplied I adapted my close-up pad...

Quote:
On 2009-10-13 22:22, Julie wrote:

Is the close-up pad adaptation mentioned in the instructions supplied with Badlands Bob?

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Actually, Badlands Bob is a rip-off of a VERY old trick, I believe created by Joe Berg. The effect and apparatus is exactly the same. It was sold through Tannen's back in the 60's-70's. So, let's not pay too much homage to CW on this particular item.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
For Julie, runawayjag and other interested parties,

I never said or meant to imply that the original CW either invented or manufactured the effect. Only that I bought mine from them when they first added it to their line. As they carried it before the sale of CW to Viking I assumed that the marketing rights were conveyed as part of the sale and said in my post that I would stand corrected if that assumption was not correct.

I hereby stand corrected.
Dick Christian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Badlands Bob(Dice trick) (40 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL