The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Badlands Bob(Dice trick) (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Joe Strantz
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Joe Strantz
Thanks to all for the posts on the new CW Badlands Bob. Very helpful. I'm planning on picking one up now. Appreciate all the insight. Joe
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I am curious about this effect/puzzle. Can any number be called and made to come up or does it have to be forced some how? Also, can I do the effect more than once in the same performance? Can a two be named and have it change to a two and then take it back and have a four named and have it change to a four etc? Thanks.

-Paul
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
I use it along with a poker deal and how Bob cheated Blackbeard the pirate here in Calabash, N.C.. A museum is in the works near here about Blackbeard, really, and the die in the box is going to that museum in my presentation. I gets a great reaction.

The Cardshark

btw: Any number mentioned is face up in the box when handed to the spectator. As much as they shake, they can't change the number!
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
I've ordered this small illusion (together with 2 Haunted Memories portraits!) from Grand Illusions Ltd: I like small nice looking devices and I'm a dice collector... I've seen this trick and I thought: I must have this prop in my collection! Smile

But now I read some "negative" opinions: difficult to use, need practice and skill and so on...

The little thing seems beautiful to me and for me that's very important, but I've no ideas of the real difficulties in using it or the exact mechanism involved (I've read here about a gimmick or a special close-up pad and/or a glorpy...I'm confused and I fear to understand a very ordinary mechanism under this trick...!): could someone write a P.M. to me, so I could know a little more about what I'll receive?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I like this effect a lot. In the earlier Viking version, the spectator couldn't choose the one spot. In the recent version, any number can be selected. I found it easy to perform with just a little practice.
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
Received now this beautiful prop: the only problem in performing this, is that my dice turns very abruptly and not in a "normal" slow way as I've seen in the videos. The presentation also is not so clear... it's in english and I must find something different to tell my spectators... (If they choose number 1 for instance! Smile)

I will study better the videos, to understand the exact movements I have to do...

P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmEhWDnauGQ

In this video the hand is under the prop, but I don't perform well this way: I keep my hand at one side... Which method is the right one?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Spend a little time just playing with the gimmick, holding it different distances from the box, moving it in different directions to see how the die responds. A little tip: I put some double stick tape on the gimmick. This allows you a little more freedom to be casual.

I like to change it to the selected number, then change it to the one to end. I don't use the Badlands Bob patter.
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Love this! Great effect that's pretty easy to do. You will have to have a good story to make it even stronger but it's well worth the effort coming up with a fascinating story. The reward is much greater and people really are baffled by this.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
I'll share a presentational idea for Badlands Bob with you. I begin with having the box wrapped up in a "Glorpy" handkerchief. I remove the box from the hanky and show the number and explain how no matter how much one shakes the box, the number will always stay the same. Let the specs try to change the number to no avail. I then take the box from the spectator and ask for another number. As soon as the number is called out, I secretly change the die to the number called for and place the die into the "Glorpy" while keeping the changed number from the spectators' view. The hanky is seen eerily moving with the box inside. The hanky is unfolded, the sectator removes the box and finds their selected number has mysteriously risen to the top of the die.

I hope you enjoy this idea and give it a try.

~ Brian
Deignan
View Profile
New user
Poinciana, Florida
17 Posts

Profile of Deignan
The Badlands Bob effect has always fascinated me for some strange reason or other. It has been on my list for years, and recently I decided to do some research on it. I was tempted by eBay, but the prices were so low and it came from Asia, so I thought that it must be garbage. I was put off briefly when I read that some of you who have it, have relegated it to a shelf, because of it's consistent difficulty or lack of a good effect. Some have even sold it. Well, I went with my gut and ordered it from Viking Magic. It arrived yesterday, and I'm quite pleased with it overall. Coming from Viking, the quality is excellent, as would be expected. After playing with it for a while and getting the hang of it, I find it quite easy to manipulate. No problems whatsoever. If you like the effect that you see or read about, I would suggest that you purchase one from Viking. It is very precisely made. Even after I explained to my wife how it works, she kept saying, "But there's no room for that die to flip over!" And yet it does, for you only.
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
I love the effect as well. By all means buy from the source Viking and avoid the copies. There is a routine from Peter Nardi I believe that has the box wrapped in paper from the start which I thought was a neat touch. The spectator opens the package revealing the chosen number.
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I like your idea Brian.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I love Peters version as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ZjSmJIGf8

Very fun way to perform it.

And beware if you don't buy the Viking version. That would be a bad idea and you will end up like Bob!!!
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
There is now also the Badland Bob's Box made by Magic Wagon and Tony Curtis
(if you can find one;

http://www.tonycurtismagic.com/badlandsbox.html
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2017, edshern wrote:
(if you can find one;

Very hard to find one.
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Thanks for the video link mikenewman. I think Peters presentation really transforms the effect.
Antera
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Antera
This is a brilliant effect now that I stopped using the gimmick supplied and just us a PK Rg....just hold the Viking box to your forehead and bring it down and its done...in any event its much cleaner this way whatever way you perform it...
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
840 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2017, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2017, edshern wrote:
(if you can find one;

Very hard to find one.

Badlands Box Dieluxe will be available in September 2017.

Tony
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.

Click Here
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Great news! Any idea what the price will be?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Badlands Bob(Dice trick) (40 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL