The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet trick question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

houstonmagic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of houstonmagic
What is a good way to handle a request form the audience to see the cards used in a packet trick that are gaffed?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
This might be better asked in the "Deckless" or "Gaffed and Funky" section!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Have you given any thought to NOT doing packet tricks with cards that can't be examined? HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Why eliminate so many good tricks just because they can't be examined? The Skinner Monte, NFW, and Twisted Sisters all use gaffs and are too good to pass up just to eliminate gaffs.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
This question comes up from time to time. I love packet tricks with gaffs and I've rarely been asked to see the cards. If the routine is a good one and well executed, they are usually a little stunned. Use that moment to put away the cards and move on to the next trick.

The few times I have been asked I just throw out a one liner such as "your best not knowing how tricks and sausage are made." BTW, I got that line from a fortune cookie only with the word "laws" instead of "tricks."

Of course, you can always take Harry's advice and use a packet trick that is examinable. There are a million great packet tricks that are examinable.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
I agree with Konjurer's first paragraph. However, you could switch in your pocket or case, or with any type of switching wallet/card holder.
domno
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of domno
I'm not very knowledgeable about packet tricks. However, it seems to me that if you were doing packet and full deck tricks, it may be a neat idea to add the packet cards to the top of the deck. Then just pull them off to do the trick. At the end, pretend to shuffle them into the deck and palm them back out.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Couple things I do is;
Keep a wallet that has the hidden pockest behind the visible pocket to keep the gaff cards, that way in putting them away, keep it tilited towards you, if they inquire about it, just tilt forward and pull out the real cards.

Keep the real cards in a pocket, and just do a switch.

Or you can always respond to them with another trick (I've never done this one, but have seen it work. if you're good at working people, this can be most helpful)
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
I've never had a spectator question my gaffed cards. Have you got any idea, what caused them to ask this question to start with?
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Perhaps there is a long standing tradition of passing out examinable props to the hungry throngs to examine to their hearts content.

Maybe we should just not let the spectators examine anything unless it is crucial to the effect.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
176 Posts

Profile of coolini
That sounds like a great idea...do a gaffed trick, when they ask you to show the props, switch them secretly as mentioned before, and do another trick to c if they can catch you...do an ungaffed vervion of the trick with which you can end up clean. I
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
Use Paul Diamond's approach (he had good advice for newer magicians).

At a request to examine he said, "You can't look at those; they're fake."

Also useful, when asked to do something in a different way, "I shall do it the way I learned it."

Magic effects are performance pieces. Do them the way they look the best and nothing else. Control the performance. Sometimes one can admit there is only so much one can do.
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Wow, lots of GREAT advice. I've used bunches of packet tricks over the years, and I have to say that no one has ever asked to see the cards. I guess it has to do with your approach and how the audience views you. Maybe try doing a few tricks with things that CAN be examined (not to say that it SHOULD be...more on that later), then moving into the gaffed stuff.

My main point is that even if something CAN be examined, you shouldn't let it be because your audience demands it. As a performer, you're in a powerful position and you don't want to give that up by "taking orders" from you audience. It's a whole 'nuther situation when you want something to be examined either before or after to enhance the effect.
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Wow, lots of GREAT advice. I've used bunches of packet tricks over the years, and I have to say that no one has ever asked to see the cards. I guess it has to do with your approach and how the audience views you. Maybe try doing a few tricks with things that CAN be examined (not to say that it SHOULD be...more on that later), then moving into the gaffed stuff.

My main point is that even if something CAN be examined, you shouldn't let it be because your audience demands it. As a performer, you're in a powerful position and you don't want to give that up by "taking orders" from you audience. It's a whole 'nuther situation when you want something to be examined either before or after to enhance the effect.
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
325 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
You can also "hide" the gaffed cards inside a real deck, perhaps one you can use in conjunction with another trick. Then say "for my next effect I need just a few cards", then go through and pull out the gaffs. I've done Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte this way several times and no one has ever suspected that the cards were anything other than legit. Hope this helps.

Jeff
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Every now and then, just for fun, I've built into a gaffed packet routine a switch at the end - using a simple z-wallet. Then I'll pause a beat before putting the (normal, switched) cards away. That usually gets a request to look at the cards.

Depending on the audience, it's fun sometimes to watch the specs try to manipulate normal cards, to make them "gaffed." I did this with Back Flip by Schwartz, and I enjoyed watching one of the specs try unsuccessfully to slide the mirror back out of the way, to reveal a normal back.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
What causes people to ask how the trick is done? I'm just an amateur magician, in real life I'm a teachter. Teachers explain how things work, so when I do a trick (amongst people who know my profession), people expect on behalf of my ethos that I'll explain it. Quod non!
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Sometines you just need a good switch. With Skinner's routine, I use a z-fold wallet or sometimes even have the normal cards in a pocket to make the switch.

The other thing I do is a few non-gaff packet tricks, to get that out of the specs system and to get a feel as to whether or not they are "grabby". It seems after an effect or two, especially if they have seen the cards to be normal, they assume you are using regular cards...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
957 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On 2009-10-16 23:30, houstonmagic wrote:
What is a good way to handle a request form the audience to see the cards used in a packet trick that are gaffed?

Hi huostonmagic,
When I show a packet trick,I produce the cards from a Himber wallet.Do the trick then casually put the cards (Gaffed) back in the wallet, And then and Only then if they ask I again open the wallet casually,and let them examine the duplicate cards,I must emphasize if they don't ask you don't show,Remember you have nothing to hide !!!!!

REGARDS

GTX MAGIC
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
Thanks for the wallet ideas.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Packet trick question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL