The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Hollywood Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I met Jules Lenier at Hollywood Magic in Costa Mesa. Meeting him was by far the most treasured memory I have of Hollywood Magic. I would visit him every time I went down to the beach. I saw him also a couple of times at Hollywood Magic in Hollywood. I'm very sorry to hear about Hollywood Magic and I hope it gets cleared up. I too have placed down a good share of hard earned money in both places. I have most of the effects that I purchased from them over the years and for some reason they just became more special to me.

But I just have to say once again---nothing compares to when I met and then got to know Jules Lenier. He was such a gem, and man he kept me laughing. I miss him and now I will miss Hollywood Magic.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Canadian Guy
View Profile
Regular user
California
149 Posts

Profile of Canadian Guy
Let's all shed a tear. HM will not be opening any time soon
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin

I was only there once, but my experience there was like what you read about from all the magic shops of yesteryear. Extremely helpful and knowledgeable staff. A sad loss indeed.
Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
All I've managed to write is
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
I just passed the shop last night; still locked up. Hollywood Toy Store, which is next door, has opened up a counter selling magic tricks and a few Tarbell volumes. They also have a vertical sign that says 'Magic' outside their store that resembles the Hollywood Magic sign.

So it looks like Big Apple Magic is the only brick and mortar magic shop left in Los Angeles.

Bato William
You're nothing but a pack of cards! - Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Bummer as I am going to be down there next week...oh well.
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Bummer is they aren't going to reopen. But then of course that kind of opens the door for a magic shop to cater to the tourist population in Hollywood. Seems like a no brainer for someone else to open up a shop or move there. Hint, hint...studio city.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Yup big bummer but I think I will try to swing by Magic Apple as I have never been.
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Let us know what you think of the Apple.
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Yesterday, I drove through Hollywood and passed the store where Hollywood Magic had their business. Still closed. However, a store two doors down decided to capitalize on their closure. Decided to stop, but had to park in a Red Zone which limited my time inside. Spent a few minutes talking to the owner. They have been in business 59 years selling costumes, face masks etc. They have now opened a section for magic. They employed a woman named Lisa from the Magic Castle to demonstrate. The owner said they are expanding their line of magic almost daily and as the business continues to grow, they will keep expanding. The store is hugh, much larger than Hollywood Magic. The owner said if we don't have it, we'll order it. They even have a Layaway Plan available and will ship anywhere in the world. Sounds and looks like their on the right path for success. Here's additional information if you're interested.

Hollywood Toys & Costumes
6600 Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood, CA 90028
http://www.hollywoodtoys.com
(323) 464-4444
(800554-3444
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
I am going to go to Magic Apple today and will let everyone know how it goes.
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there folks, I visited the Magic Apple magic shop today and had a great time. I went with a local magician buddy of mine that showed me how to get there. I was happy to see a well stocked place and met Brent who showed me everything I asked to see.I will definitely go back next time in town.....just my 2 cents worth. B
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
Quote:
On 2010-01-19 11:28, PaxMentis wrote:
Yesterday, I drove through Hollywood and passed the store where Hollywood Magic had their business. Still closed. However, a store two doors down decided to capitalize on their closure. Decided to stop, but had to park in a Red Zone which limited my time inside. Spent a few minutes talking to the owner. They have been in business 59 years selling costumes, face masks etc. They have now opened a section for magic. They employed a woman named Lisa from the Magic Castle to demonstrate. The owner said they are expanding their line of magic almost daily and as the business continues to grow, they will keep expanding. The store is hugh, much larger than Hollywood Magic. The owner said if we don't have it, we'll order it. They even have a Layaway Plan available and will ship anywhere in the world. Sounds and looks like their on the right path for success. Here's additional information if you're interested.

Hollywood Toys & Costumes
6600 Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood, CA 90028
http://www.hollywoodtoys.com
(323) 464-4444
(800554-3444

I was there a couple of weeks ago and scored a vintage Tenyo Crazy Spots trick still in it's original box from the late seventies or early eighties. It was obviously old backstock form an earlier attempt at carrying magic sometime in the past. Other than that there wasn't much of interest but at least they are trying and the shop should start to grow.
thedoktorisin
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of thedoktorisin
As you know after working for Hollywood Magic for eight years as a
magic demonstrator, the store closed about three months ago. Certainly
its sad to lose an icon which had been around since 1948. Well,
although the store is closed I will be just two stores east at a new
magic venue at Hollywood Toys and Costumes. I have accepted a new
position as magic demonstrator. I will be there initially Tuesday,
Friday and Saturday with my co-demonstrator Lisa. I look forward to
seeing all my magic friends at this new venue. Saturday will be my
first day back. Thanks for your ongoing support.

Newell Unfried
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Hello Newell,

Good to now there will a place to see some great closeup magic in Hollywood. (Aside from the Castle that is.)

Randy from Utah
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Hi gang!

I was in Hollywood last night taking my daughter to see Justin Bieber at the Hollywood Paladium, so I took a stroll over to see the New Magic Counter in the Hollywood Toy Shop.

While I was there I couldn't help but going next door to see the old site of the late great Hollywood Magic.

Very sad to see it as nothing but a shell of it's former self....

I took a photo, but I can't seem to get it to post here.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
I too will miss Hollywood Magic very much but The Apple is a fantastic store, Brent and crew are friendly and knowledgeable and they have lectures all the time from great magicians. I have learned a lot at the Apple Smile
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
My first job was working at Hollywood magic in Costa Mesa for Amy St Pierre, the grandmother. From 1983 to 1986 and then worked for Janor the sister in the mid 90's right before they closed the Orange County store.I am so bummed out for the family and I hope they work everything out. I will miss the Hollywood store.
kingsillusions
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
20 Posts

Profile of kingsillusions
Very sad. They'll be missed greatly!
Matthew King
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Welcome to a new age (new is not always better and change for just the sake of change isn't a good thing either)
Lord Bennington
View Profile
New user
Glendale, CA
8 Posts

Profile of Lord Bennington
I will miss Hollywood Magic. Growing up here in Glendale, CA it was Mecca for me when I performed as a 12-15 year old as (get this) The Great Bengenie. There was another wonderful shop closer to home in Glendale on Wilson Street. Does anyone know more about that shop? It's long gone now, but it was there that I moved beyond the "Adams Magic Kit" and Marshall Brodine's TV Magic cards.

I'm delighted that Newell will be at the Hollywood Costume and Toy shop. I've learned a heck of a lot from that man. Also, I just want to put in a plug for The Magic Apple. Brent and (Mike?) are fine guys and are always very helpful. I always have a nice time when I'm there. As for the "clique" that hangs out at the poker table. Sure they won't pay attention to you if you don't engage them. But why would they? If you sit down and watch and/or show something of your own, they are very welcoming. That said, I always felt Hollywood Magic had more active demonstrators.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Hollywood Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL