The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Content. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dylburger
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dylburger
I'm a young christian, 20 years old, who has been dabbling in magic (various card and ring and string are my favourites) for the last 9 months. I am looking to start busking closer to christmas. Why I started magic is it seems to be a pretty dark place (referring to people in magic circles in Sydney, Australia), however, once you meet them, they are just regular people with a hobby. I realised there has to be some christians trying to love these guys and girls. It also provides a fantastic ice-breaker to start chatting to strangers.

I don't wish to bible bash any crowds whilst I'm busking. However I constantly struggle with feeling like I'm an getting the better of people. Due to the nature of a lot of tricks, I often feel conflicted between magic and being a servant of Jesus. I DO NOT INTEND THIS!

I think it is a case of correct material. I have become fascinated with Gregory Wilson's "Ring Leader" DVD and have a very entertaining routine - roughly 10 min long (entertaining for both me and audiences, I competed in a Magic Club in Sydney with this routine - very positive responses). This is a fun routine, where I don't show off any "special power" it is sleight of hand. I have tried some mentalism, but I really struggle with giving off the feeling that I am somehow special.

Tricks or genres of magic that don't show the magician to be a super human would be appreciated - if anyone has suggestions. Thankyou, Dylan
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I use McCombical Deck. I've adapted my routine from David Ginn's lecture The Magic of Choices. It packs small but plays big. You could check his website to see if this is still available. http://www.ginnmagic.com

I hope this helps you.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
MMark
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, AB, Canada
39 Posts

Profile of MMark
I think your attitude matters more than the content. If you focus on entertainment then nobody is going to feel stupid or foolish. There's many ways to do this. I've seen some magicians appear surprised by their own tricks. This puts the crowd at ease and makes the whole thing more fun.

Just have fun and entertain. If you feel the audience is feeling stupid/foolish then adjust your presentation.

Mark
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2009-11-10 17:29, Mark Boody Illusionist wrote:
I use McCombical Deck. I've adapted my routine from David Ginn's lecture The Magic of Choices. It packs small but plays big. You could check his website to see if this is still available. http://www.ginnmagic.com

I hope this helps you.

Mark

I bought McCombical from Ginn last year, and put togehter a nice routine. Nice, untill I found out that none of the kids could name the cards! Now what!? I had to use an adult for that critical piece.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
It's not the prop or method, it's the presentation that will alleviate your internal struggle. No need for a disclaimer before the show. There are ways of doing every magic/mental routine that negates the idea of you having "special powers." Comedy is certainly one choice, but not the only way of doing it.

Wes Holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
dylburger
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dylburger
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 14:41, Wes Holly wrote:
I Comedy is certainly one choice, but not the only way of doing it.

Wes Holly

Any suggestions on making mentalism comedic? The only way I have seen it presented is in a mysterious way
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Mentalism comedic, pretend you missed one of the selections(such as in a 3 choice trick like mental epic). You can also add humor into certain selections, it requires knowing a bunch of lines for various situations, but is worth it.
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 19:39, dylburger wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 14:41, Wes Holly wrote:
I Comedy is certainly one choice, but not the only way of doing it.

Wes Holly

Any suggestions on making mentalism comedic? The only way I have seen it presented is in a mysterious way

Sure, as a sucker or look don't see type effect - the magician blows the prediction, the assistant waves the wand, says the magic word.. and things work out. This is a natural way to present the McCombical deck. Its a good trick, I just had kids where none could reliably name the cards (although they thought they could and wanted to be my assistant). Its all in the routining, and "bits of business".
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I use McCombical deck with 1 child & 1 adult. I have the child help me "choose" the card for them to hold (the prediction) while the adult "names" the card that he chose.

It's a nice contrast using a child & an adult. I don't have to worry about the child knowing the cards, I leave that up to the adult. It also gives me a chance to use some comedy w/ the adult, which can take some "kidding" better than a child sometimes.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Larry Conger
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Larry Conger
Dylburger, speaking as a christian and not a magician I believe you are dealing with a heart issue. I also plan to use magic as a ministry, although it is taking me a very long time to move from practice to performance. I do not believe your delima is unique to magic. Consider a football player who makes the winning touchdown. He may have played the entire game with the right atttitud, but when the crowd goes crazy his focus moves from pleasing His father to the crowd he wowed in the process. This isssue must be bathed in prayer. Keep in mind, you are performing for God and his glory is the purpose. Your material, patter, and everything else must be chosen with this in mind. I will stop now before I get overly preachy, but, I hope this gives you a little help.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Dylburger, you should check out John Archer who is a comedy mentalist...he's great and widely respected in the UK, he's also a Christian.
Taliesin
View Profile
New user
Virginia
52 Posts

Profile of Taliesin
It certainly depends on your situation. I perform mentalism at our church's winter banquet each year, and everyone enjoys it in the spirit it's intended (that is, as entertainment). However, I can see some churches having huge problems with mentalism (or even magic in general). I think in most scenarios, however, if people see that you're having fun and that you want them to have fun as well, they won't get the impression that you're setting yourself above them as someone with "special powers".
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
You mention busking - it sounds like you're going to use magic as a tool for evangelism? Or are you simply feeling conflicted that you don't speak Jesus to every one who stops to see you when you're out just having fun or trying to make some extra money?

If this is a tool for evangelism, there are some here who do that - search the forum for their posts or ask one of the regulars who they might be.

If you have the conflict of watching people go by and you haven't said anything, then you have to figure out why you're there. If it's just to have fun or make some money, then your conflict is simply condemnation by our Accuser. If it is to evangelise, then you need to discern the voice of the Spirit. He does NOT beat you up or play games with you - He's very clear in His leadings, and will ALWAYS make a way for you to respond. If that's not happening, then I again advise you to put it on the accuser and feel free to ignore that voice!

Jesus Himself did not speak to everyone in the crowds that came to see Him. He did not stop for everyone, He did not minister to everyone, and He even made Himself difficult to get to at times. You are allowed to go somewhere and simply have fun!! Or to stand on a street corner and make some money. And you are NOT required to take your "gospel bullhorn" with you if the Spirit did not tell you to! (Either by crafting you for this work or telling you "This time, take it.")

"Learn of Me. My yoke is easy and My burdon is light." *THAT* is our Savior and example.

Ed
MagicMatthews
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of MagicMatthews
Dylan, where in Sydney are you? Perhaps we could meet up? PM me if you wish.
All the best.
Don't get even... Get odd!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Content. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL