The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » "Russian Roulette" - funny rather than scary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
One does not want to be playing with knives or nails in cups at children's parties and the like! But still the idea of a fun version of Russian Roulette appeals to me.

I'm trying to think up a presentation for Russian Roulette involving something harmless but amusing, involving, say, cups being up-ended over the magician's head, all but one, which is found to be the only one actually containing water. As either a magician or spectator could easily feel the weight difference between a full cup and an empty cup, the idea of building suspense in the presentation seems a bit tricky.

Derren Brown had a good one on one of his recent shows where he had three spraycans, the final one of which turned out to contain the paint. So the 'spray route' might be the way to go, where there are a number of sprayers, of equal weight and seeming content, where only one works. Any further ideas? Thanks in advance.
Attan
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Attan
You could still use the cups. If you fill one cup with water, and then cover each cup with a napkin and smash them one by one. The smashing is nice, and it's good because the kids are involved in the risk too since it would splash all over the place if you missed.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Good one, Attan. Cheers.
Attan
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Attan
There's a thread about this trick in the street magic forum (for some reason) where a good idea popped up.

This is quoted from Revmike, not my idea.

Quote:
I do a comedy version of the effect with raw eggs and paper cups and the kids giggle knowing I could get my hands all messy but no danger of anybody getting hurt. This usually follows my silk to egg or egg bag when I ask if they would like to see another "egg-strordinary" trick.

Thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=92&25
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Oh, nice! Good find. Thanks for that. I may see if I can incorporate something along these lines into my upcoming Xmas children's gig. Whilst working on a more sinister one for the adults Smile
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
For a more 'child-friendly' version, you could incoporate a water balloon under one of the cups...

Jv
Guillotine+ASYLUM
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Cool idea. Nice one JV. I have a children's gig on Friday so I might try something along these lines.
David Franklin
View Profile
New user
Jonesborough, TN
76 Posts

Profile of David Franklin
Check out the latest issue of Genii (January).

Magicana features a routine by Stephane Bourgoin called 'Silly String of Death'.

Might be what you're looking for.
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
706 Posts

Profile of bobn3
The Survival Egg 2 at Stevens Magic might fit the bill for this. You have an egg under the cups as mentioned earlier.

Bob Phillips

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......d=111519
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Cheers guys. Well, I had a children's Xmas gig yesterday, and decided to leave out any Russian Roulette/"Smash and Mess" routine, but the idea still intrigues me as a way of building up suspense with a young audience.

David, I'm not subscribed to Genii, but it seems I can pick up that individual issue in e-form at some point. I see November's is on sale at several online magic emporia, so I might have to wait a bit.

Bob, the Survival Egg looks very cool, albeit a bit expensive for me, but the eggy concept is a good one. I'll have to come up with my own "arte povera" version Smile
amedica
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of amedica
Ouch, I am just imagining a spraypaint russian roulette plot gone wrong. Guess it's better than a real russian roulette plot going wrong. haha
Looking to BUY: Penomenon Writer (Black version), Ghost Cap (Porper), CAPtivated, Glass Mirage, Just a Key (Porper)
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
557 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
My Russian Roulette Firing Squad of Death may fit the bill.

Six identical toy dart guns are shown. The first 5 are shown not to fire at all due to the firing spring being removed. The 6th and final gun is shown to be the only one that shoots. All 6 guns are put on a round spinner (to mimic the spinning action of a revolver's cylinder) and spun fast enough so that no one knows which is the only gun that shoots. Five volunteers have a free choice of any gun they want (no force) and any dart they want (no force). Performer is required to take the final gun remaining on the spinner. All 5 spectators line up, aim their loaded guns at the performer. Performer aims his gun at picture of the Masked "Magician" (or any currently unpopular pop-culture figure). At the count of 3, all spectators pull their triggers. None fire. Performer fires his gun. Dart shoots out of gun and sticks to the picture.
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Humester
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Humester
I think that for a children's show I would steer clear of any type of weapon, even a toy gun. I do like the silly string approach however. I'll need to check that out.
Humester
Marduk
View Profile
New user
Argentina
89 Posts

Profile of Marduk
Russian Roulegg
Russian Roulette for all kind of audiences
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php......0&page=1
or:
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1

All the best
Quique Marduk
http://www.marduk.com.ar
I'am a proffesional magician and lecturer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » "Russian Roulette" - funny rather than scary (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.102025 seconds, requiring 46 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [9] [1] [2] [9] [7] [9]