We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2009 entrée: Cameron Francis » » Transition from performing for friends to performing for strangers and getting paid » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
Hi Cameron

can you describe how you went from practicising and rehearsing for friends and relatives to getting paid to perform for strangers?

thanks
Servaas
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6463 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Good question.

Well, when I got back into magic, I was a bit terrified of performing close up because it just seemed so... intimate. Which it is! I'm fine on stage, with a little distance between me and the audience. But doing stuff for people right under their noses just seemed terrifying to me.

So I started off slow. Just occasionally did a trick or two for friends when the opportunity arose. Eventually I started to get more comfortable with it.

Wanting to make a little extra money on the side, I decided to try some restaurant magic which was terrifying at first! I just took a deep breath and did it. And I loved it. I actually enjoy performing for strangers more than friends and family.

What I didn't like was the uncertainty of approaching tables. 90% of the time, people loved it and were very receptive. The other 10% was disheartening and uncomfortable. I found after a while that I prefer performing for a captive audience, In other words, I like getting hired for a gig where people know I'm going to be there and are expecting a magician. I found in the restaurants that even with signs, most people had no idea there was a magician who would be approaching their table.

I think Eugene Burger's got it right with the way he does restaurant work.
"The Triple" -- A Three Phase Stunner!. Out now!
http://cameronfrancismagic.com/the-triple.html
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Eugene Burger's approach to restaurant magic, in a nutshell?
Official Product Reviewer of Trick Shop Magic
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6463 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Eugene Burger is introduced to the guests by the waitstaff and only performs for people who request him. A chair is pulled up to the table and Eugene sits down and does his act.
"The Triple" -- A Three Phase Stunner!. Out now!
http://cameronfrancismagic.com/the-triple.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2009 entrée: Cameron Francis » » Transition from performing for friends to performing for strangers and getting paid » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.040088 seconds, requiring 24 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [2] [0] [2] [3] [8] [0] [3]