The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Packet Trick Management (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Ok, let's say you have 3 or 4 packet tricks you use for restaurant/walk around etc. gigs. How do you manage em'? Separate plastic wallets, maybe a card to wallet wallet! It seems that no matter how hard I try the only cards that don't end up intermixed is the Color Monte, and that's only if I see the faces. The stickum on some gimmicks doesn't help matters either.

HELP-HELP-HELP, and Thank You!
Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I have a wallet that holds the cards in the spot where the credit cards go...

But if (like most wallets) that doesn't work for you I used to have them in the money area of wallet with index cards separating them. Each index card was cut down to fit inside the wallet and had the name of the effect on the card that was in front of it!

Good Luck!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Magic Methods sells a Deluxe Card Wallet that has spots for 18 Packet tricks. I have one and it hold all my packet tricks, plus extra business cards. You can find it online at the following link about 1/3 down the page. Good price too. Check it out.

http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/cmagic.html
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
For walk-around, if you plan several packet tricks, load them all on a deck and separate with multiple corner shorts. So rather than reach into a plastic wallet, or pull from your pocket, you give the impression that you're pulling from an actual deck.

You could even lightly pencil the initials of the effect on the white edge of the separating short for trick confirmation. Then when you're complete, you just rotate to the bottom of the deck. When you're off to the next table, you cut to the top of the stack to reset.
Spatula545
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Spatula545
I got an idex card sized portfolio and just use that (it has thirteen sections).
12 pennies stacked equals the hight of a dime.
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Hey Jive-T, I like that idea a lot.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What I've done is to take several of the plastic wallets that they come in, and glued them together, and labeled them on the inside with post it note paper. Works pretty good.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Jerry O'Connell makes a great Packet Trick wallet.

You can get it from him directly http://www.leatherjerry.com and many dealers sell his stuff.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I do something pretty similar to what Jive-T recommends. No special wallets to carry multiple packet tricks and no clutter of little wallets each with their individual tricks placed all over my body. No, I simply pull out a card box, open it and take out a deck, thumb off a packet of cards and perform the trick. To the spectator it is just a clump of cards being taken from a deck.

I have several packet tricks and carry them in a card box. The packets are separated by thick cards (I have glued three cards together to make the thick card) and the name of the trick is penciled on the narrow ends of the thick card. It is easy to thumb riffle and cut to any packet trick I want to perform. All my packet tricks at least start with a Bicycle Blue Back.

By the way, I have the list of tricks penciled on the flap of the card box. I can open the card box, glimpse the list of tricks (and the order stored in the box) thumb riffle to the trick I want to perform cut to that packet and off we go.

The only exception to this is the packet trick “Gypsy Curse”. The cards are oversize and I keep them wrapped in a cloth that has mystic markings drawn on. The cloth, a coin, and a ring are part of the presentation.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
Bro. Hamman, for half of his lecture, would bring out a deck in its case and take a few cards off each time for the appropriate packet trick, basic idea posted by J.Turkey.

I rarely performed packet tricks but now I have several that play so well I am considering the above ploy. I keep a few cards loose in my outside top jacket pocket including Mike Skinner's "Non-conformists" (patter excuse of lucky hand once dealt me) and JCWagner's FactoryMisprints2 (some cards not printed). My business cards act as divider and Card Warp sometimes there although I plan to use the excellent Darwin Ortiz routine.
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
A great idea I picked up from Boris Wild, carry your packets in one of those small metal CD cases that contain about 20 sleeves in them. You can then put colored sticky dots with the tricks name on them and color code them accordingly or just put mailing label on the sleeve to identify the packets. Great idea Boris. I love it!
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
To trasport and protect them, go to a hobby shop and buy a baseball card portfolio. Nice and slim and will fit in a briefcase perfectly. Very inexpensive too.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Personally, I don't carry but a couple packet tricks so management isn't an issue. I have always just used one of those plastic wallets that come with them.
I believe I will try Jive-T idea of using the deck. Good thinking!
Of course it may not work out for Color Monte but that can stay in it's own wallet.
Daniel Faith
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
I have a moleskin pocket organizer that I use for non-magic purposes, but it would also be perfect for carrying and organizing packet tricks. Here's a URL for reference:

http://www.moleskineus.com/memopocket.html
Bigmac
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Bigmac
Solution: Never do more than one packet trick in a set. There is nothing worse then seeing a magician take out a carrier with multple sets of compartments and putting cards in and out. It reeks of TRICK CARDS. If I do a packet trick I carry it in a small envelope and have a logical patter reason for using a separate set of cards. Otherwise you should palm the cards onto a regular deck or do a deck switch.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I just purchased several very nice business card cases from my local Wal Mart. These cases in particular had a strong backing so they were not flexible. This is important when carrying packet effects. There is nothing worse than using cards that are bowed or bent.

I found that I could keep 2 packet tricks, one on each side of case and they stay nice an straight. The case looks great as well. Black leather. I now store the packet effects in seperate cases and just take the ones I will be using.

It is called the Day Runner Card Case and the website is http://www.dayrunner.com as I said I purchased at Wal Mart.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
It depends what you are wearing. I usually have pants with multiple pockets. I carry a different packet trick in each of them. But if you are in slacks, forget I ever wrote this.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
I posted this thread about a year ago regarding management of those confounded packet tricks.

Many magis suggested just putting them on top of a regular deck and peeling them off as needed to avoid suspician of "special cards." I have taken it one step further by using spray adhesive to create a "block" of cards (52 minus the number of packet cards) with a blue on top and a reversed red card on the bottom ('cause we can never find the packet cards in our preferred color).
Then just load the specific color packet cards on the top or bottom of the glued block and pay attention when you pull 'em out of the box. So far, so good!!!! Nobody has questioned why the red cards are in a blue box or vise versa yet. For that matter I guess you could glue up a dual color box if you were really anal about it. Just memorize which trick is which color and you're set. Just thought I would share!! Anyone see a downside to this that I may have missed? Smile Smile Smile
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
I just started using a Himber Wallet where I carry four packet tricks, that's the best thing I have come across.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
FYI:

Almost 2 years later and it's still working. Anyone else try it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Packet Trick Management (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL