The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Liquify by Bill Abbott and Richard Sanders (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey guys,

Wanted to post a quick review about Liquify since several people have asked.

Effect
Someone thinks of a word, a card, an image... or virtually anything really. You then have them concentrate on a glass of water, sending their thought into the glass. Grabbing whatever paper seems handy you rip off a piece and dip it into the water- their image appears on the paper. Everything examinable before and after the trick happens.

So, thoughts.
I called ******** when Automatic Mystery advertised that "Absolutely nothing is applied to the paper. (No chemicals, no lemon juice, nothing)". So, I contacted them. I watched the video. Guess what?

Nothing is added or taken away from the paper!

First though, the trick itself. There is not much that needs to be said here- you can see the effect on the demo. An image appears on a piece of paper dipped in water. What Bill and Richard have done, or added, is the following:

1. Two methods. One that can be done on the fly and one that needs prep. Both are interesting. And, yes, one works by adding nothing to, or taking anything away, from the paper. The method is sorta magical in itself!

2. The paper is completely examinable. Other versions of this used chemicals and things that you could see if you held the paper up to the light. With Liquify this isn't a problem. Also, since there are no chemicals you can dip it into a drink without poisoning anyone (assuming they wanted to finish their drink anyway!).

I've been playing with it for the past couple of days now and have two interesting routine ideas for it which I can share if people are interested. I wanted to try it tonight at my gigs but it was the wrong type of venue (really didn't want to dip it in expensive wine...). I'm going out with friends tomorrow though so I'll try it then.

If the trick looks like something you'd be interested in, then do yourself a favor and pick this up.

Ben
p.s.
You don't have to dip the paper IN the drink. You can pour a little of the drink onto the paper.

Posted: Dec 6, 2009 11:42am
By the way-

We can start brainstorming ideas even before you get the product!

All you need to know is that an image appears on an examined piece of paper after it is exposed to water (either by placing it IN water or pouring water on it).

I have a few interesting ideas so far and I'll be sharing them soon. Let's get a mini-brainstorm going!

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Thanks for the sharing Ben, I m looking forward to read more ideas throw in for Liquify.

Bob
Best Regards,

Bob
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Ben,

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a good one.
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
I gree also, this sound very good effect.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I posted this on another thread because they asked about the forces taught in the video. I hope you guys find it interesting!

Quote:
On 2009-12-08 03:14, Ben Train wrote:
For cards the forces are pretty simplistic, but still good ones. The criss-cross force (which is a great force) and Al Koran's (or maybe Holden's) handling of the same thing. The latter I'm not a huge fan of for this trick, but it's a good force for, say, an ACAAN...

The book force is a wonderful book force, and while it's not new it's definitely a workable idea.

When I played with using Liquify as a card revelation I used the criss-cross force. And, since it's a good segue I'll share my first handling (this is the least interesting, and least creative, of the several I've been playing with).

You shuffle then cards then have someone cut the pack for a selection. Before they look at the card you show you have an envelope on the table- and turning it over it says "prediction". You explain you have predicted the card they will have freely chosen.

They turn over their card and you say "perfect! It worked again!" and tell them to look inside the envelope. They do and find... a blank piece of paper. They look at you quizzically.

"Let me explain," you say, "this isn't JUST a blank piece of paper- it was a piece of paper that they were going to print the 6 of hearts on! I grabbed it before they were finished printing it! It's a collectors item... you don't believe me do you? Well, I'll prove it- all we have to do is develop it..."

And you know the rest.
The first inspiration came from a Ricky Jay piece in which he shows a prediction written in another language, which later changes to English. I loved the idea of having a "silly" prediction and then making good on it.

As far as presentations go, I played with a bunch. One that I liked was talking about how specific pieces of paper could only be used to print specific cards, since trees have a specific playing card property just like we have hair or eye color. Then you offer to prove it using the water- the trees lifeforce. I gave up on the idea pretty quickly though because a) it didn't fit my character and b) just not believable enough. Sure most people won't believe the unprinted card premise, but it's MORE believable then it being "in a trees nature" to posses a single playing card.

Anyway, the premise justifies the dunking in water, the introducing of the paper, and provides the time misdirection for the criss-cross force. I hope you like it.

Ben
p.s.
The rest of the ideas are NON card. I'd love to hear any ideas you guys have.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
It's unclear how this is an improvement over the Al Baker method. If it is, please explain what it can do that the Baker method cannot.

Thanks,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
I have sent you a PM Neil.

Cheers
Bill
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Mr. Abbott, can you share will all of us how this is an improvement over the Al Baker method?

Thanks!
~Joe
prizna
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of prizna
Mr. Abbott if you do not want to post how this is an improvement over the Al Baker method could you PM me please?

thanks,
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Hi mr. Abbott I would like to know the same thing.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Me too please. And can you tell me what the Al Baker method is as well?(lol)

[just kiddin'] Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
Me too please, I would like to now Al Baker method as well;-)
Also please let me know who Al Baker is....
Double kidding Smile
Gears
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Gears
I was wondering if Liquify can be used on cardstock or other types of paper?
(i.e. cardboard, notecards, etc.)
Richard Sanders
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sanders FX
174 Posts

Profile of Richard Sanders
Hi Guys,

I have been away for a few weeks. Sorry for the late reply.

Gears, Liquify can not be used on card stock. BTW, the use of your business card for the revelation makes this less strong in our opinion because the whole thing looks like it might have been planned. Using a random piece of paper from the environment that you are part of is what turns this into an absolute miracle.

It is best to use regular copy paper for Liquify, the kind you find in any office supply store. It also works on envelopes, certain post it note paper, etc. For specific papers, you will have to experiment. We explain some killer applications with regular paper as well as ideas how to create multiple revelations and how to make your revealtion seem totally impromptu.

Bhayankaran, Gospel Dan, Rpascual, Prizna and Joe Mauro
Re the Al Baker method: I am not familiar with it. If you are familiar with this method, please PM me.

Liquify was designed not so much for the strolling magician but more for that one time where you want to destroy your spectator with something very special.
Incidentally, Bill and I destroyed a few magicians with this at a restaurant during preliminary testing of the effect. (We used the "Liquify on The Fly" method.)

In the right situation, where a glass of water is part of the environment, you will be ready to create the illusion of something borderline supernatural.

Thanks for the fantastic ideas Ben and thanks for your questions guys.

Richard Sanders
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
I just got an idea that could possibly work really well if you don't mind using a stooge.

What you do is have someone with a book that you prepared one of the blank pages in it. At some time in your performance (perhaps right before a book test?), casually "take notice" of the book, and ask if you can borrow it. Rip out the prepared blank page, and go on with the effect. Obviously, you should do the effect with someone other than the one who had the book. If any of you happen to like the idea enough to use this, let us know how it goes!
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
Tennispro
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Tennispro
Richard I noticed you mentioned 'glass of water". Could this be done in working in a bar with a glass of beer?
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Should work with most liquids.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Richard Sanders
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sanders FX
174 Posts

Profile of Richard Sanders
Tennispro, Liquify works with most liquidS.
Revmike, yes you were correct.
thanks guys
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Another great principle. Can't wait to get this one and apply it!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Alright folks,

I promised an idea would be posted. Here's one.

You offer to create something amazing with a spectators help, something amazing to share. Think of any denomination of bill, you ask. $5, 10, 20... etc. They name a $50. You rip off a piece of paper and hand it to them, asking them to imagine it's a real $50 bill. You concentrate on the paper and announce that it's happened- it's changed to a fifty dollar bill.

And do you know how you check? The watermark. They pour a little water on it and "$50" appears on the paper- their freely chosen denomination.

You take back the paper and squeeze it in your hand. Of course, you point out, it's not a REAL bill. If it was... it would look like... this. You open your hand to show the paper has changed to a real $50!

Of course you promised to share it. So you get the bill and they get... an amazing story to tell their friends.

:)

Happy holidays guys!
Ben Train

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Liquify by Bill Abbott and Richard Sanders (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL