The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2009 entrée: Steve Axtell » » Welcome to the Magic Café Steve! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Absolutely you can do a snake... check out all these ideas...

http://www.axtell.com/mdbdraw.html
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
tonyborders
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of tonyborders
1. Steve, how long did it take you to transition from your "day job" into totally depending on your business?

2. You've probably seen signs of puppet abuse. What tips do you have for keeping our puppets (our tools) looking sharp and lasting for a long time?

3. With your musical background have you considered an Axtrax of karaoke style music?

4. For the Magic Café members, how many would be interested in a cruise out of Los Angeles featuring classes and performances with Axtell puppets?
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Tony,
You must be Santa... you've got a list and checking checking it twice... we'll have to see if my answers are naughty or nice!

1. Steve, how long did it take you to transition from your "day job" into totally depending on your business?

Working at the Psych job during the week, I was only performing on weekends like many do. I would perform with a puppet stage (no vent) and I would do magic. I had my first version of the Bird Arm Illusion in the 80s, so I would come out from behind the stage with this on and do a pantomime act with a bird ...a "Feathered Flopperquat from Lower Argentina". I had not sold it, just performed with it. My wife was a Home Ec. major in college and was working in a sewing factory about to move into management when she said... "You should go full time with your business". I was shocked because full time for me meant performing... I hadn't thought of making and building props for others at that point. Suzi is my inspiration in so many ways, so she gave me the courage to go for it. We sold our house and moved in with her parents in Ventura (we were 22) and looked around for a house there. We knew Ventura was a great place for us to launch a new business close to family, near the beach, and who knew that I would eventually become the VENT from VENTura. ha. From that point I was working in the Camarillo State Hospital full time to get our footing. It took me 3 more years to transition from part time product builder to full time. Thanks to the Bird Arm Illusion, the Magic Drawing Board, The Old Storyteller, Eagle, Bongo, Willie and a few others.

2. You've probably seen signs of puppet abuse. What tips do you have for keeping our puppets (our tools) looking sharp and lasting for a long time?

Its so sad... we will probably start a foundation for abused and neglected puppets. Here are our tips to keeping them clean. Keep them in a bag between shows, don't just put them in a case with your magic items, or on the floor. If you want to display them, put them on a stand. Keep latex puppets out of the sun when being stored for months. Don't let people touch their faces. When you push them onto your hand use a bag or fabric clothing to touch the face with, or pull from the body. And lastly, your latex puppets come with a protective coating on them, and you should continue to add it every 3 months or so to protect the latex from uv light and ozone. We recommend 303 Aerospace which is formulated for latex. We sell packets of it here http://www.axtell.com/catresor.html

3. With your musical background have you considered an Axtrax of karaoke style music?

All of our AxTrax songs are available as tracks only without the voice on them. This is great for vents who want to provide their own voice. The AxTrax are now available as instant mp3 downloads from http://www.axtell.com/axtrax.html

4. I'm a member of the Magic Café, and I would love to go on a cruise. In fact... I'm going to cruise in a sailboat tonight in the Parade of lights in the Ventura Harbor and work my Hands-Free Toucan.
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2009 entrée: Steve Axtell » » Welcome to the Magic Café Steve! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL