The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Most Chosen Card? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Yano
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Yano
Hi I'm just wondering does anyone have some statistics on the most chosen card when asked to name a card? I'm guessing there's no statistics but I just wanted to ask around anyways ^^.

From experience can anyone tell me what suit or number/picture card you usually get answered?

I've read a few things and apparently hearts is the most common said suit, but idk I just want to hear from your experiences ^^
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Many people name the Ace of Spades because it is the easiest card to remember. Women name the Queen of Hearts on a fairly regular basis. In terms of suits, people rarely name Clubs, usually Hearts or Spades. However, Magicians sometimes select a low value Club to try and catch you out.

It totally depends on the person. For example, if you ask a Bridge player they might name a Spade or Heart over a Club or Diamond because these are the more valuable cards in the game.

HTH,

Marty
BustedFinger
View Profile
New user
Virginia
66 Posts

Profile of BustedFinger
I remember when I was first learning the Invisible Deck, I read somewhere that Aces, Queens, and Sevens were the most commonly named cards and that it was a good idea to arrange your ID so that these cards were in the middle. Much to my amazement, the first three times I performed ID for people the cards named were:

Queen of Hearts
Seven of Diamonds
Ace of Diamonds
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Yeah, I think people often pick a Seven because the number is considered lucky. Strangley, I find that people very rarely name low value spot cards, e.g. Twos, Threes and Fours, etc.

You can also use psychological suggestion to increase the chances of a particular card being chosen. Derren Brown shares some good tips regarding this on his "The Devil's Picturebook" DVD.

Marty
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
In Son of Simon Says by Simon Lovell he has work on this most commonly named cards thing.
Drake
View Profile
New user
I feel bad having only
59 Posts

Profile of Drake
I mostly get Ace of Spaces or Ace of Diamonds, Queen of Diamonds and Queen of Hearts.

It is not very often I get a spot card selected, almost always at least in the court.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I was really shocked by this when I first started doing "walk around". Most everyone would name the ace of spades or queen of hearts. I almost felt like shouting "pick a different card!".

Jim
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
As, Qd, 7h...strange but true..(at least for me)...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
One of my biggest pet peeves is when doing an effect where the spectator can name any card (Mem. Deck, Brainwave, etc.), you conclude the effect with whatever card the spectator names. Then no matter what the card is they say, "Well of course, because everyone names that card!" You just can't win sometimes!
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
Strangely [for me], it's mostly been: Ace, Seven or Queen of Hearts or Diamonds.

Jv
Guillotine+ASYLUM
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
In Europe, the ace of Spades is not as significant as in the US. (On "American" playing cards the Ace of Spades is mostly bigger than the other aces. In many European card stocks, the ace of spades is printed like the other aces.
So it is also a matter of WHERE you do the trick.

I performed for more than 30 years the invisible deck and did the trick maybe 5000 times. Without a doubt I can say that in my country (Belgium) the winners are:
Seven of hearts and Queen of hearts. What was also significant is that the suit "clubs" was rarely chosen.
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
226 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
From what I have experienced it does seem as though women will almost alwasy go with a heart or a diamond and as the rest seldom seems to be a low value card. Although I honestly don;t get the Ace of Spades selection but that might also be that if I am doing the Invisble deck I typically patter about them picking a card and mention for them to think of somethign uncommon unlike the AS. So I sometimes try to deirect them from it so it isn't as predictable an outcome.
mr.nemo
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mr.nemo
I think its a universal thing even when I'm back home the first few calls from family was also aces and queens must be some kind of subconsious link us humans have...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I seem to recall someone doing an actual survey on this very subject here on the Café and recorded the stats a year or 2 ago! I have no idea what to search for to find it but if I run across it again I'll post the link!

I always pick the 4C but that's NOT what I use as a key card! Smile

MMc
surryhills
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
149 Posts

Profile of surryhills
That's a really interesting topic.

@Mickey: Please let me know if you found it!

TA!
MagicManJL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MagicManJL
David Blaine's book "Mysterious Stranger" has a little section on this. In order of popularity, men generally choose Ace, then Seven, then Four of Spades. Women generally choose Queen, then Ace, then Seven of Hearts. If you add the word "difficult" to your request, people generally change to the opposite suit and won't think of court cards or aces.

Take everything with a grain of salt, though. I always name the 5D.
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
In the thirties, the nine of diamonds was never picked because it was considered a bad luck card. You should go read Dai Vernon's mental force in Expert card technique by Hugard. He talks about the cards people pick and do not pick.

Slim
ryanalewis
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ryanalewis
I remember someone getting me with the Ace of Spades commonality. "Pick a card...don't pick Ace of Spades".. I'm like "WOW".

That, of course, was years ago, but I still remember it!
Bryn Williams
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bryn Williams
I'm interested in this, so I did a little (unscientific) survey:

I am a High school teacher in Vancouver, Canada and every two days I teach about 150 students between the ages of 13 and 17. I asked each student to think of any card and these are the results I got. Please note that cards NOT listed below did not get chosen even once:
As-21
Qh-10
7h-8
Qs-5
3d-5
2h-5
2s-4
7s-4
8s-4
9s-4
7d-4
8d-4
10d-4
2c-4
7c-4
8c-4
Ah-4
Jh-4
kh-4
5s-3
Ad-3
all these got 2 votes
3s
4s
2d
4d
5d
9d
Jd
Qd
5c
9c
10c
6h
Joker
All these got 1 vote:
6s
10s
Js
Ks
6d
Kd
Ac
4c
Jc
Qc
4h

I thought these were interesting results, certainly not conclusive but interesting non the less
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Ace of spades annoyingly as it takes away from such an effect
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Most Chosen Card? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL