The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Most Chosen Card? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Yano
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of Yano
Hi I'm just wondering does anyone have some statistics on the most chosen card when asked to name a card? I'm guessing there's no statistics but I just wanted to ask around anyways ^^.

From experience can anyone tell me what suit or number/picture card you usually get answered?

I've read a few things and apparently hearts is the most common said suit, but idk I just want to hear from your experiences ^^
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
748 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Many people name the Ace of Spades because it is the easiest card to remember. Women name the Queen of Hearts on a fairly regular basis. In terms of suits, people rarely name Clubs, usually Hearts or Spades. However, Magicians sometimes select a low value Club to try and catch you out.

It totally depends on the person. For example, if you ask a Bridge player they might name a Spade or Heart over a Club or Diamond because these are the more valuable cards in the game.

HTH,

Marty
Read my magic blog at: www.MagicOnTheBrain.com
BustedFinger
View Profile
New user
Virginia
66 Posts

Profile of BustedFinger
I remember when I was first learning the Invisible Deck, I read somewhere that Aces, Queens, and Sevens were the most commonly named cards and that it was a good idea to arrange your ID so that these cards were in the middle. Much to my amazement, the first three times I performed ID for people the cards named were:

Queen of Hearts
Seven of Diamonds
Ace of Diamonds
martyjacobs
View Profile
Special user
748 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Yeah, I think people often pick a Seven because the number is considered lucky. Strangley, I find that people very rarely name low value spot cards, e.g. Twos, Threes and Fours, etc.

You can also use psychological suggestion to increase the chances of a particular card being chosen. Derren Brown shares some good tips regarding this on his "The Devil's Picturebook" DVD.

Marty
Read my magic blog at: www.MagicOnTheBrain.com
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
In Son of Simon Says by Simon Lovell he has work on this most commonly named cards thing.
Drake
View Profile
New user
I feel bad having only
58 Posts

Profile of Drake
I mostly get Ace of Spaces or Ace of Diamonds, Queen of Diamonds and Queen of Hearts.

It is not very often I get a spot card selected, almost always at least in the court.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3136 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I was really shocked by this when I first started doing "walk around". Most everyone would name the ace of spades or queen of hearts. I almost felt like shouting "pick a different card!".

Jim
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
15198 Posts

Profile of joseph
As, Qd, 7h...strange but true..(at least for me)...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
557 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
One of my biggest pet peeves is when doing an effect where the spectator can name any card (Mem. Deck, Brainwave, etc.), you conclude the effect with whatever card the spectator names. Then no matter what the card is they say, "Well of course, because everyone names that card!" You just can't win sometimes!
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
Strangely [for me], it's mostly been: Ace, Seven or Queen of Hearts or Diamonds.

Jv
Guillotine+ASYLUM
Waterloophai
View Profile
Special user
Belgium
796 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
In Europe, the ace of Spades is not as significant as in the US. (On "American" playing cards the Ace of Spades is mostly bigger than the other aces. In many European card stocks, the ace of spades is printed like the other aces.
So it is also a matter of WHERE you do the trick.

I performed for more than 30 years the invisible deck and did the trick maybe 5000 times. Without a doubt I can say that in my country (Belgium) the winners are:
Seven of hearts and Queen of hearts. What was also significant is that the suit "clubs" was rarely chosen.
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Commerce Township, MI
222 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
From what I have experienced it does seem as though women will almost alwasy go with a heart or a diamond and as the rest seldom seems to be a low value card. Although I honestly don;t get the Ace of Spades selection but that might also be that if I am doing the Invisble deck I typically patter about them picking a card and mention for them to think of somethign uncommon unlike the AS. So I sometimes try to deirect them from it so it isn't as predictable an outcome.
mr.nemo
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mr.nemo
I think its a universal thing even when I'm back home the first few calls from family was also aces and queens must be some kind of subconsious link us humans have...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I seem to recall someone doing an actual survey on this very subject here on the Café and recorded the stats a year or 2 ago! I have no idea what to search for to find it but if I run across it again I'll post the link!

I always pick the 4C but that's NOT what I use as a key card! Smile

MMc
surryhills
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
148 Posts

Profile of surryhills
That's a really interesting topic.

@Mickey: Please let me know if you found it!

TA!
MagicManJL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of MagicManJL
David Blaine's book "Mysterious Stranger" has a little section on this. In order of popularity, men generally choose Ace, then Seven, then Four of Spades. Women generally choose Queen, then Ace, then Seven of Hearts. If you add the word "difficult" to your request, people generally change to the opposite suit and won't think of court cards or aces.

Take everything with a grain of salt, though. I always name the 5D.
slim23
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of slim23
In the thirties, the nine of diamonds was never picked because it was considered a bad luck card. You should go read Dai Vernon's mental force in Expert card technique by Hugard. He talks about the cards people pick and do not pick.

Slim
ryanalewis
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ryanalewis
I remember someone getting me with the Ace of Spades commonality. "Pick a card...don't pick Ace of Spades".. I'm like "WOW".

That, of course, was years ago, but I still remember it!
Bryn Williams
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bryn Williams
I'm interested in this, so I did a little (unscientific) survey:

I am a High school teacher in Vancouver, Canada and every two days I teach about 150 students between the ages of 13 and 17. I asked each student to think of any card and these are the results I got. Please note that cards NOT listed below did not get chosen even once:
As-21
Qh-10
7h-8
Qs-5
3d-5
2h-5
2s-4
7s-4
8s-4
9s-4
7d-4
8d-4
10d-4
2c-4
7c-4
8c-4
Ah-4
Jh-4
kh-4
5s-3
Ad-3
all these got 2 votes
3s
4s
2d
4d
5d
9d
Jd
Qd
5c
9c
10c
6h
Joker
All these got 1 vote:
6s
10s
Js
Ks
6d
Kd
Ac
4c
Jc
Qc
4h

I thought these were interesting results, certainly not conclusive but interesting non the less
david12345
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of david12345
Ace of spades annoyingly as it takes away from such an effect
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2331 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
This is wierd but without any doubt, the most thought of card I've noticed called over the years is undoubtedly the Three of Clubs.

However, this has always been when I've asked guys. The girls can't even remember the club suit when they choose a club card. I've had it referred to as 'blackberries', 'them little round things' and on a few occasions - 'currants'!

When I force a card on a girl for Joe Riding's lie detector trick (I perform this often) I always force the Queen of Hearts or Diamonds - these are more easily remembered by Women and you are therefore on safer ground.

As you will gather, England is no longer a big card playing nation since the (heartbreaking) slow demise of pubs and clubs over the last 20 years.

You still occasionally see card schools in our boozers but without doubt, the most popular games this side of the pond are still 3 Card Brag and Cribbage. To this end, any gambling routines that produce 3 Card Brag's biggest hand - a 'pryle of 3's' (3 cards of 3 spots any suit) - will get a far greater reaction from English blokes than producing a poker hand such as a 5 Card Royal Flush.

Even with the amount of Poker Tournaments on Sky TV, the vast majority of guys over here are still pretty clueless about the ranking of poker hands. Moreover, Poker size decks STILL get questioned and perceived as 'trick cards' due to the fact that bridge size cards are still more popular and readily available to laymen.

And you think us Brits have it easy!!!!! Smile
Barry Allen

Mercedes-Benz W123 Series.............undoubtedly Stuttgart's finest hour.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Most thought of by women: Queen of Hearts, men: Ace of Spades.
mikethemagician
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of mikethemagician
6's 7's Ace's and Queens...
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
649 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
American card brands do something extra with the Ace of Spades (name of the brand, or another extra text), which gives this card a little extra to remember. I don't recall Carta Mundi ((one of) the biggest European card manifacturers) does something familiar. The Vancouver statistics here above don't work on the European continent.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Hyattsville, Maryland
556 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
Quote:
On 2009-12-28 10:44, Chris Henderson wrote:
One of my biggest pet peeves is when doing an effect where the spectator can name any card (Mem. Deck, Brainwave, etc.), you conclude the effect with whatever card the spectator names. Then no matter what the card is they say, "Well of course, because everyone names that card!" You just can't win sometimes!

I've done a number of prediction-y effects that seem to get this response and typically I say either "that'd be pretty shaky grounds for a magic trick, remember I said you could pick ANY card" or "actually I've been doing this trick for YEARS and it's never worked, thanks for FINALLY picking the right card." Of course it depends on your tone or personality, but usually I'm in a party and just joke-slinging the whole time.
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
Follow me on Twitter: @scienceismagic
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Great idea. With the most commonly chosen 3 to 4 cards in your wallet/pocket. You are always set to go for a 'possible miracle' !
shooz
View Profile
New user
Connoquenessing, PA
78 Posts

Profile of shooz
I SYZYGY, there is a nice routine where you pick 3 cards from the deck (2H, 3C, 7D), put them face down on the table and then try to transmit each card to 3 different people. With the "verbage" included with this effect, you can have a good, better, best outcome. I do this and it works nicely.

Scott Shoemaker ...Shooz
With you in thought(s)
<BR>Scott Shoemaker...Shooz
acer
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of acer
For me it's ace of spade and queen of heart
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
12782 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Didn't Michael Close do some work on this subject on one of his L&L DVD's? The exact DVD and effect escapes me.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
142 Posts

Profile of magicdano
Nine out of ten times a woman will choose the QH. Try using it as a force card and you can work some real magic with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Most Chosen Card? (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.191496 seconds, requiring 94 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [5] [6] [5] [6] [8] [5] [0]