The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Most Chosen Card? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
I get Queen of Hearts with record frequency (men and women)!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
This thread really helps me building my own tricks. I always wonder that out of 1000 audience we ask, what is the most popular or chosen cards. Now my question is answered.

Do you guys think that cultures or custom will affect this?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Yes it will!
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Quote:
On 2009-12-28 07:16, joseph wrote:
As, Qd, 7h...strange but true..(at least for me)...

Couldn't agree more. I have the 7H gaffed to the teeth in my decks because it would get picked so much. Breather crimp, corner short and pencil dots on the back.
magicbenyoung
View Profile
New user
Maryville, Tennessee
36 Posts

Profile of magicbenyoung
Like everyone, I get the Queen of Hearts and the Ace of Spades a lot. I keep a folded up QH in my wallet all the time. It is very, very handy.

Also, I have found that the 4 of Hearts and Diamonds are pretty popular. Mostly hearts.

Here's something I like to do sometimes. I'll memorize the top card of the deck, as well as the bottom. I reverse the 4H in the middle of the deck. And I always have the QH in my wallet, and I always have a folded up prediction for 8 Diamonds in my wallet as well. I put the deck in the case, and simply ask a spectator to name a card. I now have 5 different outs to reveal that I knew what card they would name! And if they name a different card, just go through the deck and find that card and do something amazing with it. When you pass the reversed 4H, just say "oops that's not supposed to be flipped" and flip it back over. Having 5 outs is nice though, and I have rarely had to resort to a different trick.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

That's a very nice thinking! But do you have double QH in the deck too? Example if you ask someone and they choose QH, you can show that is moves into your wallet, but how about the one in the deck?

Or you remove those 4 cards from your deck?
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I found that some cards were higher than others, so I decided to keep track for a short period, and my results are, the Q/H called out by woman, and for men the A/S and 7/H were tied for #1.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Thanks for the confirmation. QH is a definite yes, I've also got that from my female audience.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
I find (beyond the AS and QH) that I get the 7H almost 3/4 of the the time!
Riku_Pajari
View Profile
New user
Mikkeli, Finland
99 Posts

Profile of Riku_Pajari
Maybe I am strange or maybe it is that Finland people like to challenge me but when I ask them to name a card, there is one card that is not on any list. 5 of clubs. I was doing a gig in a bar and I had folded 5 of clubs in my pocket from previous trick. I did some magic to this guy and just before I was finished and leaving, this guy askes if he can name any card. I said sure and he said 5 of clubs. I put my hand into my pocket, took the folded card and made a miracle. Later that night I did this to about 20 people and I thing I got like 5-6 5 of clubs. If someone said any other card, I just laughted and said that that wasnt the card I was thingking but thanks anyway Smile

Usually Ace of Spades and Queen of Hearts (for womes, of course!) are named, 7 of Hearts/Diamonds are common too.

I don't do any "name a card tricks" to my friends anymore because they allways like to challence me unless I have a pre-arranged deck Smile
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Queen of hearts or the ace of diamonds in my experience.
For some strange reason the 3 of clubs comes up often too.
TGR
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
For what it's worth, I've been doing an effect for more than twenty years (don't know it's name) where a card is chosen, remembered and thrust back in the deck. In trying to find the card, four apparently indifferent cards are shown to the specs before being laid face-down on the table. None is the spec's card. The four cards are laid in a vertical line (i.e., first card nearest, last card farthest away from her) and when, frustrated and disappointed I seem to give up and exasperatedly ask the spec to point to one of the cards, she will almost always point to the card second-closest to her (which, when she turns it over is her selected card). (If that second-most card isn't chosen, then we get into a "magician's choice").
I'm as real as you think I am
steez
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of steez
Seven or eight of hearts, don't ask why, just is
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Men: Ace of Spades #1 OR 3,4,5 of clubs or spades.

Women: Queen of Hearts #1 but more and more are starting to think of the Queen of Diamonds or the Jack of Hearts.

Mike
halestorm
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
64 Posts

Profile of halestorm
Rather than throw another vote on the pile of Ace of Spades / Queen of Hearts, I'll tell you my 6 yr old daughter's favorite card. Queen of Clubs. When asked why, she said, "Queen because it's a girl and I'm a girl; and Club because I like the idea of being in a club."

That's been true for months. A few days ago she said she's changed it to King of Clubs. I was afraid to ask, in case she's already starting to like boys.
David Hale
Tacoking74
View Profile
New user
Norway
28 Posts

Profile of Tacoking74
I just asked my wife to name a card. She picked the AS.
I told her to name another, she then picked the QH!
Unbelivable!

By the way, my wife is not interested in magic/cards/games at all, so she has no thoughts about cards.
Van der Belt
View Profile
New user
Chester, England
1 Post

Profile of Van der Belt
While I don't generally 'do' card effects in my performance pieces, they're always common down the pub.
QH is oft-chosen by women as mentioned already.
Whether I'm giving someone a genuinely free choice or forcing I always preclude AS with a simple "Not the Ace of Spades, because that's far too obvious".
A 7 is generally considered 'random' to many specs and lump with that, more often than not 7S.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

I followed the idea of having a QH in my wallet. I did it twice on my students.

I took out my deck, shuffled it and asked them to cut as many as they want. Then I asked one of them to name any card. They went for the QH. So I pretended that I knew the exact location of the cards, ex. 14th from the top.

Then gave the whole deck to them so they can check if they can find the QH. I then took the single card, and acted as I'm erasing the face with my palm up. Of course it wasn't QH. I said that I just magically changed the face picture and their card is in my wallet. Took the wallet out and showed there was only one card, it was QH. They just went silent Smile

I actually have two cards in my wallet, QH and 7S, but do I need to swap the 7S with 7H?

And how do you finish the routine I wrote above so it could create a strong effect?

Thanks.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 17:17, Bryn Williams wrote:
I'm interested in this, so I did a little (unscientific) survey:

I am a High school teacher in Vancouver, Canada and every two days I teach about 150 students between the ages of 13 and 17. I asked each student to think of any card and these are the results I got. Please note that cards NOT listed below did not get chosen even once:
As-21
Qh-10
7h-8
Qs-5
3d-5
2h-5
2s-4
7s-4
8s-4
9s-4
7d-4
8d-4
10d-4
2c-4
7c-4
8c-4
Ah-4
Jh-4
kh-4
5s-3
Ad-3
all these got 2 votes
3s
4s
2d
4d
5d
9d
Jd
Qd
5c
9c
10c
6h
Joker
All these got 1 vote:
6s
10s
Js
Ks
6d
Kd
Ac
4c
Jc
Qc
4h

I thought these were interesting results, certainly not conclusive but interesting non the less

Are there more people who can do statistics on this? So the popuation is higher than 150. Everybody with this kind of research, please post it too. What's the population? And what are the results?
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
oOMagiiCOo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of oOMagiiCOo
Back to the culture issue I have recenty bought a deck of Spanish Cards and as well as a cool design on the ace of spades there is also one on the four of clubs. Don't know why though- perhaps somebody could help me out?

Anyway for whatever reason the 4 of clubs could be equally as popular as the ace of spades is in the U.S. and UK.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Most Chosen Card? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL