The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel message with ropes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Hi MagicBus,
The visit was probably at my home in Ann Arbor. I have such fond memories of my time there. I played in the Michigan Marching Band for one season and I wish I could get back for some of the games. We had a group of jugglers that would gather and juggle on the Diag, right in front of the library. One year I did my full evening show at the Power Center. Yup, I did the Zig Zag very early in my career before it took off and was done my almost everybody.

I loved the Eclipse as well. I think it was created by Pete Tappan, who is, unfortunately, no longer alive. He did it rarely and the only only I can think of that might know much about it is Phil Wilmarth, who I believe was Pete's Assistant when he did the Eclipse in Colon. I have a theory about how it works, but I'm not sure it's right. Thanks for bringing up this memory.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Your welcome, looking forward to your articles in M-U-M, wish I could buy the M&M Café you pictured (currently for sale along with the former Tom Mullica residence next door in a package deal...)
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Whoops, forgot to add of course: M Go Blue! I will be in Colon this Saturday with MagicBob and SuZie during the Abbott's close up convention and visiting FAB. Sterlini Magic now also has a building in Colon now as well but not sure if they are planning to have an open showroom during Magic Week. Amazing- three magic companies in one village hundreds of yards apart- that has to be a world record.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
By the way, Phil Wilmarth was at Abbott's last year for the GetToGether, I will definately ask him about "The Eclipse" if I see him this year- thanks for the tip. I had Phil autograph his book for me on Trevor Lewis routines that I bought at FAB- an excellent book full of great performance (not close up) kid's material.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I did a little research on "The Eclipse." This was presented twice at the Abbott's Get-Togethers, the first time in 1976, and then again in 1984. The first time it was presented by Joe Palen and Pete Tappan. There were few details in the review, but the reviewer commented that it was the only really "new" effect during the convention. In 1984 it was performed by Pete Tappan and Phil Wilmarth. Joe Palen was scheduled to be one of the presenters, but he was too sick to attend the convention and passed away not long afterwards. Because Pete Tappan appeared on both occasions, I assumed he had created the effect.(It's the kind of thing he would have come up with.) But I was wrong. In the brief review of the 1984 performance, the reviewer mentions that the "originator" gave the illusion to Joe Palen. Unfortunately, that originator is not named. Seems likely that it was someone from the Chicago area, but that's just a guess. Quite possibly Phil Wilmarth knows more about it, and what happened to the props. It would be nice if he would share whatever he knows, as it would be a shame for this unique creation to be lost.

Dennis Loomis

P. S. Go Blue!
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel message with ropes (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL