The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2002 entrée: Mark Strivings » » Biggest influences/most admired » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Hi, Mark!

I'd like to know the people in magic and mentalism that have had the biggest influence on you, and those whose work you most admire (sometimes these are the same, but sometimes not). Did you (or do you still) have a mentor? Or maybe even more than one? If so, how do you feel that has helped mold you as a performer?

Best wishes for your continued success,
Scott
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
290 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Quote:
On 2002-04-04 16:47, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Hi, Mark!

I'd like to know the people in magic and mentalism that have had the biggest influence on you, and those whose work you most admire (sometimes these are the same, but sometimes not). Did you (or do you still) have a mentor? Or maybe even more than one? If so, how do you feel that has helped mold you as a performer?

Best wishes for your continued success,
Scott

Hi Scott,

There have been so many influences it's hard to know where to start. I've been really fortunate in that I've been able to be personal friends with a bunch of really great minds and performers. You really can't help but have some of it rub off (hopefully in a good way!)

As far as mentalism goes, I'm a huge Annemann fan. 'Practical Mental Effects' was my first book on mentalism and it remains my personal favorite. There's SO MUCH great stuff in there. The Jinx was also tremendous, not just for Annemann but for all the other luminaries of his day. The Abrams book was an unbelieveable find. I've read it from cover to cover, and it was a LONG way between covers! If you don't have it, get it! Good luck finding it, though...

I was a member of the Arizona Six and One-Half with the likes of Larry Becker, Lee Earle, Docc Hilford, Kenton Knepper and many others. Hanging with that bunch expanded my thought processes in ways that simply never would have happened otherwise. Plus they're just plain great guys. I miss them....

In magic I've always admired the great performers. Doc Eason, Terry Seabrook, Bob Read, Tom Mullica, Lance, Siegfried & Roy, Copperfield, Ali Bongo... so many. I've left out dozens.

I guess the main reason I admire most of these guys is because the personality and the fun came first, the tricks a distant second. I try to model that and really feel it's the way to go.

As for a mentor, I've never really had one. I grew up in a somewhat isolated town of 50,000 and there were no other magicians to speak of anywhere nearby. So my mentors have been the books. Tons of books by and about all kinds of performers, their work and their philosophy. I've been blessed with a natural curiosity about everything to do with magic and mentalism. I don't limit what I learn about. I want to know about everything. So I guess I would have to say that those who took the time to write for our benefit are my mentors. How about you?

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2002 entrée: Mark Strivings » » Biggest influences/most admired » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL