The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2010 entrée: Pete Biro » » Too much out there. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve James
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Steve James
Hi Pete.
I imagine that compared to when you first started out in magic the amount of material that is available to the newcomer {like myself} is absolutely incredible,it seems everything ever written or produced is available in one form or another,be it books, dvds, tricks and internet etc.
Do you think this is a disadvantage to todays newcomers?
Do you think it"s a bit too overwhelming?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Probably. We used to learn one way to do something and for the most part were satisfied. We'd work on it until we had it down pat. New stuff was slow in getting out. Communication was by snail mail and lectures were few and far between.

A good example was Pat Page's EASY MONEY. A clean and simple change of pieces of paper to real money. Fred Kaps improved the handling and it was something he carried all the time.

That same trick today, has new versions galore, starting with the Hundy 500 and I've seen maybe six or seven DVDs with variations. Different ways to fold 'em and different ways to grip and display them, but I still remember Kaps doing the simple version and getting tremendous reactions out of it. So, I still stick with "what was good enough for Kaps..."

I think one of the trends today is to keep getting WHAT'S NEW... and would like to see more youngsters keep it simple and concentrate on how they present themselves and their magic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think this glut of material is leading to people who aren't qualified putting out things that are simply rehashes of old material. Few people really learn how to perform a trick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
I agree with you there Bill, had being a dealer myself I looked at everything new that came out and id say the same thing, its been out for many many years already just a variation of an old effect. So id go with Pete on this one too if it was good enuff for its originator then why change it, spend less time on variations and work on presentation of such effects.

Rick Anderson
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I used to review tricks and DVD's for MUM. So much trash -- so little time.

Once in a while a star comes shining through, though. But it's a lot like looking up in the sky at night. There is a whole lot more darkness than there are stars.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Good way to put it, Bill. Ken Brooke used to say, in his Northern Accent... Too much ROOBISH.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2010 entrée: Pete Biro » » Too much out there. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL