The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2010 entrée: Pete Biro » » Daryl » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Hi Pete!

Any stories of interest concerning Daryl?

Thanks!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yep. But I just woke up, haven't had breakfast yet and will respond shortly. And my pain pills haven't kicked in yet.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Wow, Daryl stories after pain pills. THIS should be GOOD!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Daryl and I knew each other as Teen's growing up in Oakland, Calif. We hung around at Morcom's House of Novelties, where I worked.

I don't recall much from that era.

The one story that stands out was at the F.I.S.M., at Den Haag (The Netherlands). Daryl entered the competition for ORIGINALITY. He did a simple effect with a selected card penetrating a zip lock bag. The Deck was placed in the bag and the selected card penetrated. Much like the old card through handkerhief.

I was one of the Jury to select all the winners in various categories.

In the jury meeting, the HEAD JUDGE asked me, "Can you get hold of Daryl?" I said, "I'll try, but I don't know what hotel he's staying at. Why do you need to talk to him?" The judge replied, "WE need to know how his trick is done."

I answered (because I knew) "He just palmed the card."

His reply, "IMPOSSIBLE I DID NOT SEE HIM PALM A CARD."

To which I said, "I't Daryl.... YOU NEVER SEE HIM PALM A CARD."

The other story, again at F.I.S.M., I believe at Lausanne, Switzerland.

Daryl entered the card magic competition.

As a judge I was sitting in the front row (WHICH I DISAGREE WITH, that makes so many of the contestants NERVOUS... matter of fact one guy came out and was shking like a leaf and actually began to FOAM AT THE MOUTH).

Anyway, sitting next to me wsa one of the great card magicians of our time, Arturo Ascanio.

When Daryl came out he wsa beyond relaxed, he was performing as good as I'd ever seen him, and his closing trick FOOLED THE CRAPPOLA OUT OF BOTH OF US. We were NAILED.

It was his Ambitious Card with the ending tying a rope around the cards.

Of course, even without that, Daryl was light years ahead of anyone else there and was the winner.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Pete, thanks for the great stories.

The effect with the zip lock bag by Daryl is 'Hefty penetration".

"A deck of cards is shuffled, a card is freely selected, and then it’s lost back in the pack. The deck is placed inside an ordinary transparent plastic bag and this is then sealed at your wrist. Slowly and visibly, the chosen card penetrates through the bag and can land right in the spectator’s hand. There are no gimmicks of any kind and everything can be examined".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks for adding to the story.
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
I saw and chatted with Daryl a couple of months ago when he was in England. He's as happy as a clam, spending time with his family and lecturing for his Fooler Doolers company. He's a gentleman, a magnificent magician and one of the best sleight of hand artists I know.

Matt Field
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I don't mean to be rude, but, how do I put this...you and Daryl were teenagers together?? Can you get me some of what he's on? Has he got some painting in his attic or something?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Well, let's see. I was working at Morcom's House of Novelties, in Oakland, and Daryl was one of the kids that started to hang around... so literally we weren't both the same age, but we were young (once).
Daryl Easton
View Profile
1955 - 2017
174 Posts

Profile of Daryl Easton
Gee, Thanks guys! This was brought to my attention and I must say that it was good fun reading! Thank you Pete for bringing back these happy moments. Do you have any favorite memories from the Magic Cellar days in San Francisco? I'm guessing that this was back in the 70's. Ouch!
Daryl - The Magician's Magician

www.Daryl.net
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hey dude... how old were you in the Morcom's days? I remember one show at Morcom's ole upstairs theater we did a Sword Cabinet and passed it out to the audience for examination. It must have been 4-feet wide, long and tall.

Nothing but LAUGHS in those days.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I really get a kick out of the fact that you two used to hang around together. Two very knowledgable perfomers, who are very funny, but so different that I would never imagine them together!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Neither would I. WE had some really amazing folks around us in those days. All real pro's that most magicians never heard of.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2010 entrée: Pete Biro » » Daryl » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL