The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matthew Johnson's Any Card At Any Number (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On 2010-02-13 11:16, nanaswan wrote:
I have seen this as a fellow magician friend bought it. It is an absolute waste of money IMO , nothing new here at all. Supposed to be magicians helping magicians but with advertising worded to mislead the naive magician , I think its totally wrong. Ok there maybe another version as Daren points out but it is poor one IMO. I know you shouldnt be so gullible, as we all know the statement about the deck on the table before card and number named cannot actually happen in the absolute true sense of the words that we all want , but some people do believe it and waste their money.

Can't agree more.
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Thanks for your feedback everyone and I am glad to hear that many of you are enjoying the PDF. Those who are not, each to their own.

Nanaswan & Pegasus. I respect your opinions but there is nothing misleading about my advertising & I certainly am not here to mislead the NAIVE MAGICIAN! I personally resent the remark quite frankly! Many well known magicians that I respect stand behind this product and would not do so if they thought I was out to fool naive magicians?

I spend a great deal of time and effort with my products in order that they represent great value for money and make the learning process as easy and concise as possible. My PDF and videos deliver so much more than the run of the mill PDF out there as far as the learning process.

With the ACAAN plot there is always a compromise, there simply has to be. I truly believe that the compromise I have made is viable and brings the effect pretty close to the Holy Grail, when the effect is over that is exactly what they saw.

If you don't like my version there are 4 other versions in the PDF (based on my version) by guest contributors. One of those versions has the deck on the table before the effect starts and my version has the deck on the table before the card and number are named!

I have purchased many versions of ACAAN. Many of those versions have required me to use props (other than the cards) that were simply not even listed in the effects description. My ACAAN is quite simply not that type of effect.

That said, many of you are enjoying the effect and I thank you for your emails and private PM's.

I stand by my product and my products description and ad copy. I will not be changing either as they are a true representation of my effect without giving away the secret, after all that's what ad copy is all about!

If you like the reviews both here and on my website then buy the effect and if you don't then the effect is not for you :o)

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Quick update!

A few of you have emailed expressing a problem when trying to purchase at my website.

It appears that a few of you have had a problem with the BUY NOW buttons at my Magic Store and the display of my website on your computer screen. It seems this may be a problem for Mac users only.

I have had the BUY NOW buttons changed which should work from now on.

You can check at:

http://www.thecorporatemagician.com/magicstore.html

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
I don't have or know the method in this acaan,but to simply say you cant have 1 deck on the table befor the card and number is chosen is just not true. However it will take a memorised deck and practice but the results will be a true acaan. Just think no gaffed cards only 1 deck used and all you do is hand them the cards they count the cards face up to their chosen number, and when your done your clean and ready for a self working open prediction.
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
I almost forgot rest is just 1 move done in front of everyone,as you show the cards are all normal.
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
I'm one of these naive magicians who bought tricks or ebooks after reading a tempting description in a deceiving ad. No lies in the description but things that just are not told. Here you get the impression that you have a free choice from all the cards when the cards are on the table. You don't, but the author doesn't tell you. He also does not make a demo because then it would be clear what "my version has the deck on the table before the card and number are named" exactly means and what it does not mean.
I've learned since then and never buy a trick any more without a demo.
From what I read the author has put a lot of work in the pdf and video tutorials. That's great and much appreciated. A little more work and whe can see a demo. It is a way of showing respect to your future customers.
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
I reread all the comments and should have done that before my first reaction. The author admits that the suite is named before the cards are on the table although that was not mentioned in the original ad. I still think a demo is always a sign of respect and maximum information to any future customer.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I have this and the deck IS on the table once the suit is named and in fact with the suggested handling it appears to the spectator that the deck is on the table the whole time! If one had access to a video demo then this handling would be free for any and all to have without having to buy it. So it has nothing to do with respect and everything to do with keeping the handling secret from those who would reverse engineer the effect. There are several of these subtleties that are shared in this version along with a great discussion at every stage as to the handling method and the inherent trade offs.

Jeff
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Jeff,

Thanks for your post. You hit the nail on the head my friend.

This has absolutely nothing to do with respect to my fellow magicians as I have nothing but the up most respect for all of my fellow magicians. It does have everything to do with people reverse engineering the effect as you pointed out.

In two versions of my effect the deck is on the table after the suit (and only the suit) is named. You could also use equivoque to get just the suit but it is not necessary because of the way the routine is structured. Think about it, just the suit, that's it! Once you have the suit any card can be at any number! I think it is a very small price to pay. Not only that but your chances of hitting the card at the desired number are very much increased in my routine. The effect left on the spectator because of the routine and psychology is perfect.

For those that want the deck on the table BEFORE anything is said I will reiterate that you can do this using the Orient Principle by Christopher Taylor which is described in the PDF too. Using this principle you can have the deck on the table from the out set and have the chosen card at the chosen number.

The PDF also contains extra thoughts by Cody S.Fisher, Marc Paul, Bill Fritz and Eric Gretencord that take the idea of my routine to incredible places.

Hope that helps,

Matt Johnson
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
Matt: I think its great that you have put so much work on the acaan, I like most magicians are facinated with this effect. I also understand that you will always have a trade off or two, I work with about six acaans but the fact that you count the cards face down makes me wonder if you have worked out an answer to "let me see the other cards",as a card worker hobyist I think this would be A normal response. If this is something adressed in your acaan then count me in. the one I use now is a mix of different ones but it requires some fast math on the fly and under presure the calculations can be scary.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
One of Matt's versions uses math that is so easy that there is simply no way to go wrong. If this isn't enough of a bonus setting the card at the right number also has a fast and easy method that will make you go wow!

Jeff
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
I've just had the pleasure of reading the 56 page e-book (PDF) and viewing the (count 'em) 10 sequential tutorial videos that Matthew Johnson includes with his ACAAN. Everything is explained in text and by video, including 2 performances. For just $35 at http://www.thecorporatemagician.com/magicstore.html, I've seldom been so impressed with the care and dedication to detail that is supplied. Personally, I don't believe in "holy grails" nor chase them. But the entire package that Matt offers is highly recommended for those performers who are both serious and handy, as there is some preparation to be done. Because of some very pleasing ploys and subtleties involved, the result is a very strong ACAAN that will turn heads and make a powerful impression that will be remembered. While the general method was not unknown to me, the exact way of accomplishing it offers new and exciting considerations for those looking for a wonderful approach with much to recommend it. Those who actually make this up will have a treasure. Those who don't are still likely to be impressed with some very insightful thinking from a man who obviously has great experience under his belt and knows what works.

... Richard Busch
http://www.TheMindFocuser.com
http://www.RichardBusch.com
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
First I would like to thank Richard for a great and honest review. Thank you Richard for taking the time to do so, your opinion (as with all of the others) is appreciated and very much respected.

OK guys! I am about to go where not many have gone before, a demo video for ACAAN!

I have said all along that I would not release a video. Although sales and feedback have both been fantastic to date I have had a few that do not like the fact that they cannot view a video. I always strive to do my best to please all of my customers old and new so I have decided to release the following video.

This video is true and shows the effect, patter and psycholgy from start to finish. The person in the video is a friends son and had no idea of the effect he was about to see. He is seeing it for the first time with no pre video set up.

The version you see is only one of the versions in the 57 page PDF. There are other versions including a version where the deck is on the table right from the get go. However due to the psychology and pacing this version is probably my favorite.

It is a 100% honest representation and shows the worst case scenario. Many times my version of ACAAN can play stronger due to many psychological subtelties at play in various versions of the routine. However I did not want to show you best case scenario as many videos do. What you see is what you get and IT ONLY GETS BETTER!

So with all that said here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCI555Q4eg

Remember the PDF contains a secret link to 10 online tutorial videos and bonus routines by guest contributors. For those of you that may reconstruct the effect from the video (my reason for not posting it in the first place) there are many subtelties you will not get from the video that are explained in the PDF, my version of ACAAN subtelties so to speak. You also don't get to see the other versions.

So there it is, an honest up front video for ACAAN!!

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
To any who have this, like I said befor Im sure the extinsive work that matt has put in his E book and 10 videos to help you learn his acaan effect are great, with so many magicians selling old rehashed tricks and single trick dvds this is excelent. however that being said I would like to know if anyone has a problem with the cards placed face down for the count. If this is answered in the E book or videos fine ,if not I think I will stick to my method, I do hope that matt's has a logical reason either in his script or method, because the acaan I use can be tricky.
*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
Some great ideas within these pages! Matts attention to detail and 10 video links etc. make the the $35 dollars a no brainer for those interested in this plot, a great idea from cody fisher and great new concept from Christopher Taylor as well.
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
228 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
Thanks for the video, finally! Cards from pocket I figured out, but having a certain card at the number called (not one card after or anything like that) is truly a miracle! I get that the card would be clubs, but the 23rd card could have been the Ace of clubs, or the 9 of clubs, but it was an 8, just as the spec called. THAT part I haven't figured out. I may just have to get this now. Believe it or not, the video has just helped me WANT to buy this now, where as before with no video I had no interest . . .
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Bro,

Thanks for the kind words man, hope the trip was good!

Boy Wonder, Glad you are now a happy camper :o) I am happy that I could oblige you and hope to have you as a customer soon :o)

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
REVIEW: Any Card at Any Number

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......st216692

Tom Frame
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I purchased Matthew's ACAAN package several days ago.

Listen, guys, EVERY method out there is going to have pros and cons. It's the old "toothpaste tube" theory. If you squeeze one end to the way you want it, it's going to change the other end.

Probably the cleanest way to do ACAAN is with a memdeck, calculation, estimation, and a pass. In this version, one regular deck is used, it is in full view (maybe even "in play") before the ACAAN effect starts, all the cards are dealt face up, and everything can be examined. If you can comfortably and accurately do this under fire, you've pretty much got "The Holy Grail" of ACAAN. I *used* to be able to do this version, when I was performing a ton and before my last hand injury. But every part of this "Holy Grail" method is fairly difficult and requires consistent work to keep it in check. That's why the vast majority will never learn it, and because of the added pressure under fire, the vast majority who do learn it will rarely or never actually perform it.

So, we go looking for an easier version that will approximate the same effect. That means some sacrifices--we squeeze the tube. Maybe the sacrifice requires the use of more than one deck. My own version, EZACAAN (from my ebook A Little Something - shameless plug!) uses two spectators. The first deals down in a deck & randomly stops at a card. The cards immediately preceding and following are shown, proving a different outcome would have resulted if he had stopped elsewhere. A 2nd spec thinks of any number between 1-52, opens another deck that has been in full view and deals down to her number. Again, the cards before and after are shown to be different. The two chosen cards are turned face up--they match! Problem is, you have to use two decks and two specs, and neither deck is fully examinable. You have to "sell" the effect.

Dave Forrest's version uses an entirely different method. It has some strengths my version doesn't, but it also has some weaknesses mine doesn't. You have to "sell" it.

Other versions may offer cleaner aspects in some ways (deal face up, or only one deck, or deck brought out before number, card, and suit are named, etc), but may compromise in method (extensive use of equivoque, as many as ten decks, deck brought out only after card, number, or suit are named, gaffed decks, extensive and difficult sleight of hand, etc). You have to "sell" the effect with these versions.

I feel that Matthew's solution (#1) brings a good balance to the mix. Yes, there are some sacrifices like dealing face down. But it has some very strong points that the versions where you deal face up don't have. Further, IMO the concern about dealing face down is thinking like a magician. A typical laymen might think, briefly, that you simply have a deck where all the cards are the same. But he will quickly realize that if this were the case, you had a deck of duplicates of a card he named AFTER the deck was in view--actually an even STRONGER effect! You have to "sell" the effect in Matthew's version.

What it boils down to is this: no matter what version of ACAAN you do, you have to sell the effect! You have to maximize (emphasize) the points you want remembered, and deemphasize the points you don't want remembered--the weaker parts. Even with the "Holy Grail" version mentioned above, you need to misdirect during the calculation, estimation, and pass and SELL the effect!

Matthew offers a well-written, extensive ebook, and a ton of companion videos. I believe I received good value for my money. This version is within the reach technically of just about anyone. And there was an idea here I never would have thought of that I can apply to other effects. That alone makes this more than worthwhile to me.

Good job, Matt!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
Scott: what if those that use a mem deck had a system that didn't require A pass and the calculations were dooable? the key is you must know your mem deck. I will say no more,not the place. I also use to think like you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matthew Johnson's Any Card At Any Number (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL