The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mad Hatter's Hat Project (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I am building illusions to fit the theme of Alice in Wonderland for a new show for my daughter. The first thing I'm building is a Mad Hatter's hat reproduction for her to pull a rabbit out of. I am attempting to construct this out of fiberglass using a foam mold. The outside of the hat will be lined with tapestry.

I will post pictures as I progress.

Dan
Michael Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
Near a river in the Midwest
9720 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Wow! I'm really looking forward to seeing that!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
The progressive pics would be interesting to watch. Looking forward to them too.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1095 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
You going to use Mark Wilson's hat, or Johnny Depp's?
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Day number one of carving the foam form.

This is only the rough stage. The over-all size will shrink 1/2" all the way around and I may reduce the height by 3-4 inches. Height of hat in the picture is 20 inches and the head diameter is 12 inches.

Original Mad Hatter's Hat

Plywood Form Core

Attaching Core to Foam

Gluing the Foam

Gluing the Foam

Rough Carving

Rough Carving 2

Rough Carving 3

Rough Carving 4

Rough Carving 5
Michael Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
Near a river in the Midwest
9720 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Great progress and great photos!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
123 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
WOW...Looks cool, your daughter should be very proud of you!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Great photos! Out of curiosity, what did you use to carve the foam so well and smooth?
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I used a small hand saw for the bulk removal, a wood rasp for shaping and a Porter Cable detailer electric sander with 50 grit paper. I set the hat in a horizontal position and put a long dowel through the wooden core like a rotisserie. I rotated the hat by hand and sanded with the detailer sander similar to working a lathe. I still have a lot more sanding to do but I'm happy with the result of just one days work.

This type of project is new for me and I am grateful for this Workshop forum. I have gotten a lot of useful information from researching this site to start this project. I hope my trial and errors can help someone.

Dan
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
Looks like a fun medium to work with. Thanks for the pics and the progress updates. When sanding that foam with the Porter-Cable electric, is the foam dust any kind of a problem???
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5659 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dan, this looks like it will be great! Just in time for the new Alice In Wonderland movie too!
Mister Mystery
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Tabman,

I worked outside and wore a good dust mask, glasses and gloves. I didn't notice a lot of foam dust in the air, but I will pay more attention when I sand again and report if there is any difference.

Dan
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Regan,

The Alice in Wonderland theme is something that my wife Kristen and Danielle have wanted to do for a couple of years now. Perfect timing that this movie is coming out and a new generation of kids will see it.

As I was collecting the material to start this project I was originally going to model this hat from one of the books pictures or from the Disneyland's ride and paint it a solid color. When I heard about the movie, I decided to make it look like Johnny Depp's hat.

Dan
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5659 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-02-16 17:18, Zazz wrote:

As I was collecting the material to start this project I was originally going to model this hat from one of the books pictures or from the Disneyland's ride and paint it a solid color. When I heard about the movie, I decided to make it look like Johnny Depp's hat.

Dan

Smart move!
Mister Mystery
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-02-16 17:10, Zazz wrote:
Tabman,

I worked outside and wore a good dust mask, glasses and gloves. I didn't notice a lot of foam dust in the air, but I will pay more attention when I sand again and report if there is any difference.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Just curious about the foam dust. Seems like it could be wicked like plexiglass dust.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Just got back from Tap Plastics with fiberglass supplies. This thing is not going to be cheap.

Dan
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Quote:
On 2010-02-15 20:52, ringmaster wrote:
You going to use Mark Wilson's hat, or Johnny Depp's?

I'm going to try and build Johnny Depp's hat for this themed show. I made a Mark Wilson's Alakazam Hat last year for her. Here is a picture.

Mark Wilson's Alakazam Hat

Dan
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
Great picture. I love the "hat."

Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Started to epoxy fiberglass the hat today.

Dan
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5950 Posts

Profile of tabman
Great. Post some more pictures when you get a chance.

Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Below is a picture of the mold on the rotisserie. I just applied the Mold Release and one layer of glass. Tomorrow I will apply another coat of epoxy fiberglass.

Applying Mold Relase Agent

Dan
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I applied the second coat of epoxy fiberglass today. Next step after resin cures is to apply filler and sand.

Second layer of fiberglass

Dan
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
906 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Must be a trick of perspective, but that hat almost looks big enough to pull a person out of (okay, maybe a small child...) How much do you estimate it will weigh?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
The hat is 20 inches high and the elongated part of the top of it is 20 inches. I haven't weighed it yet but it is not very heavy right now, even with the foam and plywood core.

Dan
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I know you are probably real close to being finished but I ran across this for anyone else who might be interested.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Burtons-Mad-Hatter-Hat/
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5659 Posts

Profile of Regan
Looking good Dan! Danielle is very lucky to have a father that can....and that is willing to build all these nice props for her!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I enjoy building them. I am lucky to have a daughter that uses the things I build for her and a wife that creates routines for them.

Here are a few more photos:

Hat Filler 1

Hat Filler 2

My daughter, Danielle, just had an article in the March edition of The Linking Ring magazine. It turned out really great. Please ready if you have time. Here is a thread with a link to the article.

Surprising Young Lady

Dan
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5659 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dan, that was a nice article! Congratulations to Danielle! (And to you and your wife too). I had not put it together until I started reading the article when I received my Linking Ring magazine this past Friday, but I remember when Danielle first started performing magic. You or your wife had inquired about some sort of routine (may have been a patriotic theme) for your daughter. We emailed (or PMed) back and forth about it. She was going to perform for her ring I believe. It was several years ago, and I think Danielle was just a little thing at the time. Wow.....I can't believe how far she has come. I'm thankful to know she really stuck it out! It's good to finally realize who you all are. I knew you, but I did not really know your association with one another.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Regan,

Thanks. People like you and others on this forum have really helped us through the years with suggestions and support. Magic is one of the things the three of us really have in common. It helps bring us together.

The next 2 months are going to be busy at work. Lots of O.T. on the weekends. I am going to have to use evenings after work to make progress on this Mad Hatter's hat. This and three other illusions need to be made for her new show. I hope I can get it done.

Dan
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5659 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-03-15 12:35, Zazz wrote:
Regan,

Magic is one of the things the three of us really have in common. It helps bring us together.

Dan

Dan, I know what you mean. My wife and I have only one daughter, and we perform together (magic & music). I feel really blessed to be able to do it as a family.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Mad Hatter's Hat Project (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.222350 seconds, requiring 96 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [1] [3] [6] [4] [0] [5] [0]