The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » A timely trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
With the Time Machine in cinemas if the theme is used in card magic it will be topical.

Things like Hamman's Signed Card could fit the theme.

Simply placing four of a kind into the deck and finding them on top where they were seconds ago.

Harris had a time machine plot that was a good one, not sure of the exact ref. now, may have been in Las Vegas Close Up.

Just a few to start the ball rolling.

Paul Hallas.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Many people use time travel as a theme in their ambitious card routines.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Paul,
I will post a routine in SS that I published on "Visions" last year.

LMK what you think.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
CWilcox
View Profile
New user
California
70 Posts

Profile of CWilcox
Roy Walton... need I say more?

Chris
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Dosen't John Bannon also have a 'time machine' themed effect in Smoke and Mirrors? I may have to dig my copy out to check.
Greenshock
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of Greenshock
Hey Paul,
Jay Sankey's "Back In Time" is my favorite in-the-hands triumph.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
Dorian showed me a triumph with a time travel theme many years ago. Not sure if that was his own idea or where he got it from.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
CWilcox
View Profile
New user
California
70 Posts

Profile of CWilcox
The triumph talk reminded me...

Nate Kranzo has a very visual stand-up, time-travel triumph called "Standing Up to Ray and Bill" in his "Things with Cards" notes.

In this version of the plot, a card is selected from a dribble and the deck is shuffled face up into face down a couple times. Then, time is turned back: the deck is visually "unshuffled" and righted, the selection is produced with a dribble to end, and you've come full circle. Nice twist on the usual triumph, and it looks good.

The notes are available from Kranzo through his site at http://www.nathankranzo.com.

Chris
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-04-06 07:21, Paul Hallas wrote:
With the Time Machine in cinemas if the theme is used in card magic it will be topical.
Paul Hallas.

Interesting topic Paul. "Open Prediction" and "Any Card at any number" would be ones that could be explained by the performer going into the future and then back again.
"Cards Across" could also be used to zap the audience forward in time and a "torn and restored" theme, especially one like Guy Holingworths would fit the bill too.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Gary Kurtz has a WONDERFUL treatment dealing with time travel in "Hypothetical Possibilities" ("Unexplainable Acts", Kaufman, 1990). In this, Gary makes the spectator's signed, chosen card the real center of attention. That alone separates this routine from most.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Try looking up "Time and Again" in Ortiz's "Cardshark".

The performer cracks open a brand spanking new deck and shows it to be in new deck order.
He then has a spec record the time on the back of a joker and sign it. It is then placed under the spectator's hand.
Next, the performer shuffles the deck and shows the top card and puts it in the middle of the deck.

One by one each of these actions is undone as the deck is sent further and further back in time..
First, the card buried in the middle jumps to the top.
Next, the spectator's writing on the back of the joker is shown to have vanished.
Then the shuffled deck is found to be in new deck order.
And, finally, (the best bit) the spec is asked to place the cards back in the box only to find that the empty card case has mysteriously resealed itself in it's plastic wrapper - just the way it came from the factory but completely empty.

Mind blowing effect

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Quote:
On 2002-04-07 00:16, Geoff Williams wrote:
Gary Kurtz has a WONDERFUL treatment dealing with time travel in "Hypothetical Possibilities" ("Unexplainable Acts", Kaufman, 1990). In this, Gary makes the spectator's signed, chosen card the real center of attention. That alone separates this routine from most.

I was scrolling down to see if anyone had already mentioned it and sure enough they have, but I cannot recommend enough this Gary Kurtz routine for a "time" effect - it's a stunner!

Saxon
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Of course, I should add, I wasn't particularly looking for items for myself, but thought, it might prove interesting if people wanted to take advantage of adding something topical in their set. Adding something topical does make the performer seem more "with it."

I used to use a Stewart James one from The First Fifty Years, but cannot recall the title now.

Perhaps we could do a similar thing for other themes, as and when they become topical?

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » A timely trick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL