The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Vectra thread by steve Fearson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
409 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Anyone get their hands on this yet? I just placed an order for these threads. Sounds great!

-Alex
lou serrano
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
448 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I received some a couple of days ago. I will be using it at my weekly strolling gig tomorrow evening. My first impression is it's as thin as wooly nylon, but much stronger. I'll let you know how it works under fire.

Lou Serrano
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I just got my supply today. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but it sure is as "invisible" as wooly nylon. I've tried all the various invisible threads but use wooly the most because it is the most "invisible". The only drawback is that I have to be fairly careful while using it or it will break fairly easy. I'm getting to be a "pro" at re rigging my ITR due to broken thread.

This new vectra thread looks just as good and seems to be a lot stronger than wooly. I can't wait to "string up" my ITR with it and put it through its paces.
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
409 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Can't wait to receive mine! Too lazy to rethread my threadboss. haha Going to take ages for me to re-thread it with vectra. Love to hear your results from both of you.

-Alex
lou serrano
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
448 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
So I finally had the chance to experiment with the Vectra thread tonight. One of my signature routines is a routine that I've been performing for about 15 years. It's a routine that I've performed thousands of times under all types of conditions.

I've never used wooly nylon because it doesn't stand up to the abuse that I give it during my routine. All these years I've had to use a slightly thicker and stronger thread.

At first, I thought the Vectra was going to be just the ticket I needed to have a more invisible thread. The Vectra is thinner than the thread I currently use, but it's also much shinier. At my weekly Friday night strolling gig, there are a lot of hot spots with the lights in the room. Because of this, the Vectra was sparkling like a Christmas tree. I couldn't use it without fear of it being noticed by my audience. I had to revert to using the thicker thread I've been using for years.

Even though the Vectra is as thin as wooly nylon and thinner and stronger than the strong thread I currently use, it isn't necessarily more invisible, because of the extra shine. I believe anyone using this thread will have to pay even more attention to the lighting to use it without exposure.

If you are already using Kevlar thread, than I believe this thread will be more invisible and just as strong. The problem I have with Kevlar, is it's really thick and super shiny, so it isn't very invisible.

Your experience may vary. I hope this is of some help to anyone considering purchasing Vectra. For the price it's being offered it certainly wouldn't hurt to purchase some yourself and experiment with your own routines and lighting conditions. You can always revert to your old thread if it doesn't work.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
Nelson Hoofard
View Profile
New user
League City, Texas
36 Posts

Profile of Nelson Hoofard
Has anyone tried the Spectra Reel?

The Add:

"This is the most professional reel made to date by Sorcery. Professional quality. Thread is invisible even close up!

* The new low tension reel features over 50' of Ultra Fine Spectra Fiber.
* The Reel is very small and easy to hide, only 2" long by ¼" in diameter.
* This thread is incredibly invisible and perfect for precision close-up work.
* Designed specifically for the professional Thread Worker.
* The thread is amazingly strong for how fine this fiber is; you will never worry about the spectator seeing this thread!"
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1073 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2010-02-27 08:58, Nelson Hoofard wrote:
Has anyone tried the Spectra Reel?

The Add:

"This is the most professional reel made to date by Sorcery. Professional quality. Thread is invisible even close up!

* The new low tension reel features over 50' of Ultra Fine Spectra Fiber.
* The Reel is very small and easy to hide, only 2" long by ¼" in diameter.
* This thread is incredibly invisible and perfect for precision close-up work.
* Designed specifically for the professional Thread Worker.
* The thread is amazingly strong for how fine this fiber is; you will never worry about the spectator seeing this thread!"

Hi
I had the spectra reel and the thread was very invisible . I had problems re-threading the reel when the thread broke. Now I used the "Alpha Reel and it's the best reel I've ever used. I just reloaded my reel with IT last week.
I think you could use the spectra spool on an Alpha Reel but I'd check with James George first.
I wasted a whole reel of the spectra thread trying to re-thread my spool when it broke. I might try the spectra thread again on my Alpha Reel. I think it's 25.00 for a spool. To be fair to the maker of of the spectra reel, I just suck at replacing thread on this type of reel. The Alpha reel, really is a great improvement in the ITR's.If I break the thread I fix it before I put my reel away. When I broke the thread on my Thread Boss, I put it away broken cause I dreaded fixing it.
Sorry I turned this into a review for the Alpha Reel but this is the best reel so far.
Hth
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1746 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I totally agree with Lou's assessment of Vectra thread. I have also been using Wooley nylon with great success. However, it's simply not as strong as Vectra thread. So what I've done is after I strip the correct size for my application and have set it up, I take a Magic marker and pull the Vectra thread over the business side of the marker. It reduced the amount of shine a great deal.

I also have hot spots in the restaurants where I perform. I made a point to work the table with the worst lighting in one of the restaurants. Lucky for me several close friends came in for dinner and some magic. They were seated at the table with the worst lighting conditions. I performed my animated bill routine and it couldn't have gone over any better. I was very please with the out come.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2098 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
There is a photo comparison posted here...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rt=30#23
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
818 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Hi,
Anyone any ideas if the Vectra thread can be purchased from outlets in the UK?
Thanks
Ray
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
409 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Hey Ray,

You may want to contact steve Fearson. http://www.emagicsupply.com/
Their customer service is excellent. Very fast response, I'm sure you'll find the answer there.

-Alex
tommeepickles
View Profile
New user
New Orleans
79 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
I got mine yesterday and compared it to the kevlar thread that is in my Micro ITR. It is identical in thinness and look. The thread is very strong. I put a ring on it and did a stress test and saw that it would take a lot of abuse. I took the thread today and wrapped a spool to test it in my reel. I found it easy to use in the reel and since it was stronger, I was able tighten my hookups to stop the bounce and sway in the levitated item. It is awesome thread and along you don't mind wrapping your own reel if you use one, it's a winner.
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
409 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Thanks for sharing tommeepickles.

I recently purchased there limited supply of thread boss reel with vectra thread. I'll keep everyone posted on that. Steve was offering less than 20 units of these? Not sure if anyone else purchased one.

-Alex
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
818 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Hi Guys,
I took my delivery of the Vectra thread a couple of weeks ago and have to say I was a little dissapointed. After reading all of the hype it struck me as nothing special. IMHO nowhere near as strong as Kevlar thread. On the upside pretty much invisible but not as thin as the Mesika threads. I have now ordered the latest 'wonder product' PET 200 thread from the USA and waiting delivery. I'll keep you posted.
TGR
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
620 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
TGR ...
found your talk on PET 200 thread interesting.
However, cannot find anything on the net for it ...

Care to share?

Incidentally, I understand there is a new Vectra coming out on 1st June 2010 called 3VE (triple Vectra Elastic) ...

regards,
WulfieSmith (from the UK)
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Madison, AL
802 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
What do you guys recommend for stripped spools of IT? I don't want the elastic kind...

Twitter/Instagram: @mattadamsmagic

Facebook: www.facebook.com/illusionistmattadams
Tfet
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Tfet
Sorry to necro an old thread. I'm looking for some more info on thread types. I'm wondering about the comparisons between Spectra thread and Vectra thread. If anyone has any experience with both I'd appreciate any info. Like which one do you think is more invisible and forgiving of light sources and which you think is the stronger of the two.

It sounds like the Vectra thread is stronger, But I'd trade a little strength if the spectra is more forgiving for invisibility.

Thanks all!
CaMagic51
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of CaMagic51
I'm looking for a white invisible thread to use with the Gaetan Bloom stand-up card trick against a white table cloth background. I'm definitely not knowledgeable about IT and would really appreciate the advice of you experts. Thanks in advance.
STL_magic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of STL_magic
I recently purchased a couple of reels from Sorcery Manufacturing with Kevlar thread. Having been used to wooly, I have to say, I'm having a hard time learning the angles that work with it due to the shine. However, it is very strong. The other night I was seated in a darker restaurant and had just set up by attaching the wax to a menu holder on the table when someone grabbed the holder and suddenlly pulled it about 3 feet down the table. They turned it around several times and I expected the thread to break. It never did and they never saw it.

I'm new to ITR, and with the tricks I do I don't need the strongest thread. I would like the most invisible. What are your recommendations?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
I have killed more topics with my
5659 Posts

Profile of Dougini
As a thread worker for more than 30 years, I STILL think Royal Blue WN to be the most invisible. That said, I finally caved in and bought a reel of Vectra X2 Stage Line from Steve Fearson. We have the same problem with shine.

The next stronger line is SULKY "Smoke" invisible (Google it), and that is the stuff I used for more than ten years. A Marks-A-Lot black marker works breaking up the pattern. I used that for AstroSphere. The X2 Vectra is strong, but is sketchy for AstroSphere (at best). Breakage is a problem.

Right now, Vectra and Vectra X2 are the strongest lines on the market. The key to using these is lighting. Most experienced thread workers know the limitations, and will avoid the work if lighting is not perfect.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Vectra thread by steve Fearson (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.152172 seconds, requiring 64 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [7] [7] [0] [5] [1] [7]