The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Book on Gaff Cards Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I don't know if anything like this exist but I am looking for a book that has all of the packet tricks included in it with the rountine and the gaffs needed to perform the trick. If anyone knows of a book and the source to where the book can be bought I really appreciate any information. Thanks
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Haven't heard of any books that include the gaffs. Gaffed decks are easy to find. Ellusionist offers an UltraGaff Deck and DVD here: http://www.ellusionist.com/ultragaff-tri......overview
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Another DVD with gaffed cards: Sankey's Hypervisual.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for the help. I am looking for material that will list all of the packet tricks and accompanying gaff cards in a book form. I am not wanting the gaffs to be included with the book I just would like a description of the effect and the gaffs.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Don England's "Gaffed To The Hilt" is a nice one. Good luck finding a copy, but worth the hunt.
Gideon
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Gideon
Paul Hallas "Small But Deadly".
Subtitled "The Packet Trickster's Handbook," this publication is Paul Hallas's random walk through packet trick history.
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Check out Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks which, in addition to having a number of impromptu and set up deck effects, has effects with slick, sticky, double back, double face, Svengali decks, Stripper decks and short cards.

Although not a book, I would recommend Simon Lovel's Packet Killer DVD which is a two DVD set that comes with a Blue Bicycle Gaff Deck (not to be confused with the Ellusionist Gaff decks). The Blue Bicycle Gaff Deck has a variety of gaffed cards for both Blue and Red Bicycle decks. One of my favorite cards is the double backer that have a red Bicycle back on one side and a blue Tally-Ho back on the other (OK, really only magicians will appreciate that, but what can I say). The DVDs and deck are around $40 to $45.
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Didin't Simon Lovell publish a DVD set on that topic? (with Magic makers I guess)
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
The Lovell project on gaffc cards was a 2-DVD set put out by Magic Makers and including a deck of gaff cards. It was called Packet Killer and featured some classic packet tricks as well as newer ones. A great set taught in the inimitable Lovell madcap style.

Paul Hallas has 2 books on Gaff Cards called Small but Deadly - and the sequel Still Small, Still Deadly - both filled with really great tricks (no cards included) and a fascinating & comprehensive history of development of packet tricks.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
The Lovell project on gaffc cards was a 2-DVD set put out by Magic Makers and including a deck of gaff cards. It was called Packet Killer and featured some classic packet tricks as well as newer ones. A great set taught in the inimitable Lovell madcap style.

Paul Hallas has 2 books on Gaff Cards called Small but Deadly - and the sequel Still Small, Still Deadly - both filled with really great tricks (no cards included) and a fascinating & comprehensive history of development of packet tricks.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Small But Deadly and the new sequel just out, Still Small Still Deadly, basically are all about packet tricks, history, plots, creators and routines. Not just gaffed packet effects.

The Don England book mentioned earlier was originally a rather expensive book that came with a number of hand made gaffs. A later edition was releaswd without the gaffs. Not all packet effects I might add.

The nearest thing to what you require is really the Simon Lovell DVD mentioned which came with all the required cards.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
When "Gaffed to the Hilt" was originally released it came with all the necessary gaffed cards.

Gil Scott
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for all of the help.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
30 or 40 years ago the answer would have been "Tricks with Fa-Ko Cards", which came with the Fa-Ko Deck, all sorts of gaffs and gags.
Unfortunately, it was made in Fox Lake Bridge size (Back then bridge size decks were far more common than Poker, and the Fox Lake cards matched Aviator bridge decks)
If you can find a copy of the book, it is still a great source of gaffed tricks, and many of the cards (Tree of Hearts, etc.) are still available. Any that aren't can probably be ordered from Martini or one of the other gaff makers.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Burling Hull Wrote two books on gaffed cards

1) One is dedicated to the double backed card

Hull, Burning: Nine Great Card Tricks ©1933 Long Island City 8 pages typescript p 2 The Two Fold Miracle; p 2 Insto-Transpo; p 3 The Strartling Stop; p 4 The Double Force; p 5 Double Comedy Relief; p 5 "Satan Behind You"; p 5 Chameleon backs; p 6 Remote Control (Anneman); p 7 False Faces

2) The other one is dedicated to the double face card:

Hull, Burning: Double Magic With Cards - Original Mysteries On Revolutionary Principles © 1946 by Burling Hull, Woodside, NY: 11 pages typescript using a double face card trick (either with different faces or with similar ones)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
"I don't know if anything like this exist but I am looking for a book that has all of the packet tricks included in it with the rountine and the gaffs needed to perform the trick."

It doesn't exist. No book covers "all" of any general magic field. Even Greater Magic is less than a drop in the ocean. I, like you, have a thirst for expanding my knowledge, but I am much better served learning a few well that I perform and remember than many more which are readily lost. My shelves are full of neglected things because I don't take my own advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Book on Gaff Cards Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL