The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Questions about Geneva Pocket Watch (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Wizard, I am thinking about presenting it as a preserved artifact, although I don't want them to focus too much on that object. I only want to show them that I have some reasons to have this with me. Only a brief introduction of the watch. I may say something like "that watch I have here, from my grand dad, is still working after all this time, it keeps time, and time seems to have no effect on it, like my grand dad who is still riding a bike at 86 yrs old".

The watch is very shiny, of course. It bothers me a little bit, but not too much. I think my ideas are strong enough, and I'm sure people won't even suspect the watch. But who knows. I can also try to "age" the watch a little bit. I'll try to search on the internet later, and see if there is a solution. That will help to illustrate my little story about it, if the watch looks worn and old.

Quote:
On Mar 21, 2017, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Of course, if we are speaking about a cheap-looking watch of inexpensively-plated metal, than that is a whole different ball of wax. Please let us know.

In fact, that's the problem. It's the impression I have. I got the feeling the materials are of low quality. Same thing with my Perfect Time. When my parents said "I don't know... 10 euros ?" that killed me. And the reason I asked them is because I had the feeling the watch is cheap. I do not know how much it costs them to produce these watches. I only know that they look cheap. Both PT and Geneva.

That being said, it does what it says it does, so as a magical tool, it's a wonder.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
I'm using a genuine old silver chain instead of the enclosed gold-coloured chain. That reduces the 'new' look. And for the gold watch, well, it looks like ... gold... If you handle it and residu from your hands gets stuck to the watch, I think it looks fine.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks for posting this photo. I will find a way to make mine look old, like yours. By the way, for those who want to know that, I got confirmation from George Robinson that the Geneva is made by Charles Hubert, so that explains why the watch is expensive. Glad to know that.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Is putting the workings in an actual hunters case of the correct size and vintage an option? Bay often has this style of watch that are for parts only but the case is in good shape.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I'm not sure what your question is. Kind of confusing. If you ask whether one could change the cover of that gimmicked watch (Geneva Watch is a double hunter case) assuming the cover is of same size, I guess one could. The gimmick is not related to the cover. But you should keep in mind that one side opens when you push the stem in, and the other is opened by pressing your thumbnail into the slight nail-nick in the cover. So the two covers are not exactly the same.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Since the Geneva prop is a quartz movement and is shown on the watch faces, and if the performer wants to use it as an older piece, my question is can the faces be replaced so as to remove the "quartz" from the face plates. Yes there are two , but it is not that hard to find vintage windup face plates. The same case would be used as well as all other parts.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2017, Peter McMillan wrote:
Since the Geneva prop is a quartz movement and is shown on the watch faces, and if the performer wants to use it as an older piece, my question is can the faces be replaced so as to remove the "quartz" from the face plates. Yes there are two , but it is not that hard to find vintage windup face plates. The same case would be used as well as all other parts.

The word quartz does not appear on the face of the newer watches. There are the visible initials CW in script below the 12 and the almost impossible to see words Collectors Workshop between the 5- 6- 7 numbers. The fact that it is a quartz movement is irrelevant to the workings of the watch.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

That being the case, as you write, the prop could be introduced as a product from the turn of the 20th century.

My intent is to show it as an item used by my Uncle Ossie, A watch that he bought in 1903, and later found has some peculiar characteristics that manifest during his experiments of contact thru the vail.

Thus the concern for the word quartz on the face. The case would be easily worn to look the part.

Thank you all for your input. Smile
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Thanks for clarifying. So, if your goal is to only change the face plate, I guess it's possible. I think, because I never disassembled my watch. However I can say that the gimmick will work even if you change the face.

In fact, what's pretty cool with this pocket watch (which I love) is that even if your battery is dead and needs to be changed, the gimmick still works, as it's unrelated to the battery (for instance, Perfect Time wristwatch won't work if the battery is dead).

And if someone's presentation relies on a broken watch, you can even remove the battery and show that the time isn't changing as the spectator holds it.
StPaulMagician222
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Paul, MN (Cathedral Hill)
104 Posts

Profile of StPaulMagician222
The watch no longer keeps time, it keeps memories....
K
"One can't believe in Impossible things" said Alice.
"I dare say" said the Queen, "Why when I was your age I believed more than 6 impossible things before breakfast.
-Thru the Looking Glass- L.E. Carol
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
I recently had an unexpected problem with my Geneva Watch. Although the warranty expired, George Robinson from Viking helped me tremendously and solved the problem, without charging me...

This is hard to find top notch service!

Highly recommended. Happy days, cheers, Luc.
GetMental64
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of GetMental64
Not sure if this happened to others, but when the battery was changed at the watchmaker, both hands fell off from where they belong on the special side. I had him re-attach them to the same place, but if it happens again, I shall have him attach them to the silver plate... with some consequences to my prediction options, but so be it... by the way, I did not have him reinsert a new battery, since I do not see the need to have one in the watch in the first place and this keeps me from having it opened and closed every year...
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
I just picked up a Geneva Watch from an auction site. Does anyoen have instructions how to change the battery should I need to?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Questions about Geneva Pocket Watch (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL