The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2010 entrée: Paul Vigil » » Spirituality, Mysticism and Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Paul, it's not really lying per se ... it's suggestions remotely close to anything supernatural that bothers some.

When I use to post here regularly, I often was pushed into these discussions when accused of being a charlatan, fraud, and irresponsible for not using a disclaimer in my performances and for insulting my audience's intelligence by performing sometimes with a "supernatural" slant. On YouTube my life has been threatened twice even though I am clearly labeled as an entertainer.

I've concluded that it seems to be ok to lie about NLP, Psychology, non-verbal communication, hypnotism, even alien influence, it's okay to lead your audience to believe you really have these "powers", just don't go anywhere near anything having to do with the supernatural!
paulvigil
View Profile
V.I.P.
268 Posts

Profile of paulvigil
A,

For what it counts, I believe that part of arts mission is to bring ideas to the public which they may be uncomfortable with.

I wouldn't neccessarily say I have a supernatural slant, but probably a little more mystical than most.

Yes, I've seen it, too; apparently not all lies are equal.

V
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
"But there are some thorns to this rose: As a magician, do you want to deceive that person or simply entertain that person?" -Hansen

Personally speaking - I don't want to dwell on deception or entertainment.

I think about the END RESULT. I want to CONNECT WITH THEM. IMPACT THEM. Help them FEEL they EXPERIENCED SOMETHING SPECIAL that simply does not happen everyday for them.

It might give them JOY, HAPPINESS, or whatever. When the magician and the spectators BOTH FEEL that EXPERIENCE - THAT IS the POWER OF MAGIC.

Hey - we all only have so much time here - make it count.

Just my few cents worth.

--
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
paulvigil
View Profile
V.I.P.
268 Posts

Profile of paulvigil
JP,

Bravo!

V
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
299 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Excellent posts Paul, members of the Café. Art is something personal and it attracts, inspires and entertains in a personal level. A single red dot in a huge painting can translate into different interpretations, magic does the same.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2010 entrée: Paul Vigil » » Spirituality, Mysticism and Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL