The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What is your least favorite Illusion and why? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
In regards to the Chair Suspension, Keith is right. One of the main reasons why people do not like it is simple...they do not nor have they seen it performed correctly. Part of this is the fact that magicians doing the illusion do not research it enough and rush into doing what they think is proper. The other part is not having enough information to really go by. There is information out there on the illusion, but you have to look and hunt for it.

If you want to really enjoy this illusion, you have to stop watching YouTube and most performers presenting it. This is not to say there are not those out there doing it correct with a good routine that makes sense. However a majority of what is being presented is being presented poorly.

The other reason many do not like the effect is simply cause they think it has to be presented as a levitation or floating effect. This simply is not that type of illusion. It is a suspension and a very good one. If presented well and with a routine that makes sense, there should be no reason for the audience to ever want you to remove the chair. The only disappointment that happens is if you are selling the idea of a full levitation and it never happens.

The illusion is quite a good one and one I perform hundreds of times every year. It gets great reactions every time and is one of the things a lot of audiences ask me to do at repeat engagements. So research, learn and present the illusion correctly and it will play very well for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Quote:
If I'm right it was Scott the Magician with his assistant Muriel who performed this sword basket illusion. Otherwise it could have been as well Ed Alonzo...

Oliver,
It's Ed Alonzo who performs the sword basket with an inflatable doll.
Scott doesn't perform the sword basket and Muriel isn't inflatable ;-)

Talking about the sword basket:
A great sword basket routine is performed by Denny & Lee.
It's on his DVD which I can only recommend!
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Rafael,

Thanks ! I had a doubt.

By the way, how can you be sure that Muriel isn't inflatable. Have you tested her ? Smile

I mean she already looses her legs, arms and head in the excellent sawing through illusion, so it could be possible...

Anyway, thanks for correcting me.

Oliver.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Just saw a Sword basket and table on http://www.usedmagicillusions.com

I thought this may help. If anyone is looking for a sword basket. (doesn't come with the blow up doll though)

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
jkmagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of jkmagic
I like a lot of Jim Steinmeyer Illusions - Origami, Interlude, Walking Through a Mirror, Osmosis being some of my favourites.

I'm not a fan however of Bits & Pieces ... just doesn't do it for me.

In terms of other Illusions I don't really like, Blammo Box or Assistant's Revenge.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I use Blammo all the time as an opener and it really goes over well. Just about a good routine and also having one built well.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Jkmagic does have a point. Assistance revenge never fooled me, atleast not the basic version of it. I do believe there are ultra-fast versions of it, where the swap is done in less than a second, which DOES make me wonder, but I still don't like it.

One thing I was happily suprised by though, was the sucsess of the Wakeling sawing. I sent a youtube video of it round to a few of my cleverest friends, and none of them knew how it was done. I think it was the swords which particularly confused them.

Tom
xx
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I agree with comments on Harbin Chair suspension

Not the cheap versions out there at Kids parties etc but
the Genuine Harbin Model made of steel -the board taken away, built from the plans
and presented as Harbin wanted it

Magic Inventor Wayne Rogers does a fabulous Harbin version of this with full adult on the chair
-Its a fabulous piece of theatre includes a bit of music and plays so strong-always strong reactions....

Back to my least favourite Illusion -as a Illusion Performer myself
-id have to agree with many here
any type of sword box effect just doesn't work with modern audiences-the comments at shows say it all.......

Cheers
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I'd have to say my favorite is Hans Morretti's Cardboard Sword Box.

Its the only one I've seen that made me sit at the edge my seat with.
and scared the crap out of me at the same time.

Posted: Apr 3, 2010 8:52am
I meant least favorite ... forgot the word least.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Rafael,

Thanks for posting that Penn and Teller performance! I'm almost glad you can't quite make out what Penn is saying. I don't want to know! The video alone speaks volumes. I will forever look at this illusion in a different light now! Luckily, I've never performed it yet and just obtained a nice European model that will work nicely with an adult. If that is truly how Harbin "sold" his illusion to the world I cannot wait to adapt and apply the styling to my show. Not copy, but adapt it to my style. It just makes so much more sense and the audience would never be left waiting for the other chair to come out. Pure genius!

I would hope that other performers of the Chair Suspension can take something away from this too. The illusion and the community deserve it and after all....we owe it to the late great Robert Harbin to do his awesome creation justice!
Deej1
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Deej1
Bit late to the party with this, but Dagger Chest is something that rarely seems to be done logically or well! Stu Turner used to do a version I liked: he made the whole thing completely 'incidental'!

Also, my heart does sink somewhat when Zig Zag girl is trundled out without a fresh feel... John Van Der Put's routine is the exception!
Careful shopper & author of 'Magic by phone'
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
As far as deciding favorites and least favorites, my theory is, if you can do more than one routine (different shows of course) with an illusion, I love it. For instance, I have more than one routine designed for Mismade Girl, Modern Art, Op Art, Sub Trunk, Origami, Cubezag, etc) it's a great illusion. Something that can't be done more than one way I think is useless (i.e. Lev's). Never did like Levitations
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Vjo22 do you really mean levitations or thinking suspensions?

www.mai-ling.net
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Marshall, Both Levs and suspensions.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Just wanted to make sure because people get them mixed up.
why do you dislike them?

www.mai-ling.net
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
There really isn't much to them. Up they go, down they go. There are only two other variations I've seen, one is Asrah (which might be the exception to the Lev's, because you can do more than the original version of it, including an idea I designed) and Greg Frewin's Lev where he walks thru his assistant while she's lev'ed.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Personally, I'd have to say my least favorite is any illusion that's basically presented as, "Hey, lookit what this box can do. Ain't I clever?"
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
AMEN to that, George!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
George: You stole my thinder. =) I should post my article regarding sub trunks and creativity.
Kyle Peron

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'd love to see it, Kyle. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What is your least favorite Illusion and why? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL