The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Knockout Deck vs. Svengali/Mirage? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I just read the description of Bicycle Knockout Deck, it sounds just like Svengali. Is there any difference between the two? Or it's just different names for the same thing?

Apr 5, 2010 12:04pm
---------------------------
Anyone?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
You mean this deck ?

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/decks/knockoutdeck.html

I don't have it, but it is not Svengali. You can't ribbonspread a Svengali for instance. And there are things you can do with Svengali that you can't do with Knock Out.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I have the Knockout Deck, and fvdbeek is right, it is not a Svengali deck. The Svengali can change a chosen card and make the entire deck be the chosen card. Or you can make a blue backed deck change to a red backed deck. Actually, The Knockout Deck does pretty much the same thing but with a totally different method. Great for lay people, and pretty simple to perform so concentrate on the presentation!!!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Yea I just watched the demo of Knockout Deck. It looks similar to Mirage but KD can change its back color. I'm pretty sure you can spread/fan Mirage Deck in your hand. I did it for my audience.

But I love the look of KD, I think it's a great trick using small sleight.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
The KD is not my kind of thing to perform, but I love the way it's gaffed! The KD is very cool and I'm glad I own one.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Yeah some deck is not suitable to our liking but we're just glad that we own them Smile
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 14:16, fvdbeek wrote:
You can't ribbonspread a Svengali for instance.

I have a routine (somewhere) which includes a ribbonspread.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

You can? I can only spread Mirage.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I suggest you search the Svengali threads here as you can most definitely ribbon spread a Svengali plus a whole other bunch of stuff you wouldn't think possible. Someone's put a DVD or a book out but I can't recall who. It's in a thread somewhere though. Sorry, not much help that. Maybe someone could elaborate.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I have both and I use neither so take my opinion for what's it's worth. The Svengali is more versatile. There are MANY very good published routines for the Svengali. I could be wrong, but the KO deck seems pretty limited. The KO is a little touchier as well in my opinion. It is easy to flash a gaff if you are not really precise in your handling. The KO deck is a killer effect. I did try it at a family gathering and it went over very well. It's just not my thing to pull out a gaffed to the hilt deck that I can't use for a full set of card magic.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2010-04-05 14:16, fvdbeek wrote:
You can't ribbonspread a Svengali for instance.

What on earth are you talking about?

A Svengali most certainly can be ribbon spread.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Quote:
A Svengali most certainly can be ribbon spread

I've never seen it and can't imagine how it can be done without showing every other card.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Magic Makers has taken the knock out deck and bundled it with a DVD of various effects using the deck.

http://www.shopmagicvault.com/Bicycle-Kn......980.html

I really like the deck. I actually use it for something totally different... somewhat of a tossed out deck approach with it. The gaffed cards open up many possibilities.

For the money, its a good gaff deck to have in your toolbox.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Yeah, and we can always switch it should we want to continue performing.
ryanalewis
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ryanalewis
Svengali was one of the first gaffed decks I ever got (perhaps the first), but when I bought the Mirage deck I personally was like "Why did I even buy the Svengali?"

I did get a book of 100 tricks or whatever it was with my Svengali, but being able to spread the deck and show it as random cards versus riffling was a major bonus. I'm sure there are handlings for Svengali to do a similar flash, but for someone new to magic it was sure a huge crutch.

Haven't seen the KD myself, I wonder what the main difference is? The backs..?
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Yeah, after the audience choose the card, suddenly the whole deck change into his card. And when it is turned, the deck is now in different color. Share similar principle as Mastermind Deck I think but MD is a lot better as the chosen card can be taken out of the deck.

Knockout Deck also shares the same method of Decked Out by Mark Mason, the only difference is in Decked Out, the whole deck is turned into order and the only missing card is their chosen card. I like Decked Out trick even it's in Hoyle stock not Bikes.

I'm thinking to get Knockout Deck but I dunno any other trick can be performed with this deck.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
I didn't see him do a ribbonspread showing all different cards.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Which one? For the Knockout Deck? I saw the one that is done by Ben Salinas. He indeed showed the cards to be all different.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Weird, is someone removing posts in this thread ? Yesterday there was a link to some pitch with a Svengali-deck, but now it has been removed. The video was however in a very poor quality.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

I haven't seen any link in this thread. Are you sure it was in this one?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Knockout Deck vs. Svengali/Mirage? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL