The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gifts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
This is a very unorthodox question which I posted in the not very magical section, but this might see more light here

I have been doing magic for quite some time, and I think I am seen as the "magic guy". Anyways I was thinking of gifts to friends for special occasions. Let me explain, I was hoping for some suggestions of what I could get my friends for special occasions as gifts. Something magical, but not a tricks, as this is for laymen. But I still want it to be something "a magician would give."

This is very vague as I myself have no clue what I'm talking about
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
For females, a paper rose is perfect. It's an origami "project" that you make as they watch. Establishes you as a performer without really doing any magic per se. Michael Mode sells the napkins in various colors. It's fairly inexpensive, so I don't think you'd want to give these as Christmas gifts, etc.

Jim
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I agree with Jim. I just learned how to make these (paper roses) from a friend who makes a living strolling at restaurants. He uses the paper napkins right off the table, he works FAST, and the effect is amazing. I was recently in the home of a friend I made one of these for, and she had it standing in a bud vase on a small display shelf above the kitchen sink, her “place of honor”. Well worth learning and USING! (I had also given her a “real” gift, who knows where that went…)

For guys, a toy might be better, perhaps one of those vinyl roll-up wands they sell for a dollar or two? He can play with it, show it off, and it won’t look too bad sitting on his desk either. Package it in a small jeweler’s ring box, so that when he opens it, it springs out full length. The surprise will get a laugh and draw attention to him.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
I guess it would depend on how much you like this person. I've always thought that a deck of cards in a bottle would be a really cool gift. I'm told that the art of astonishment books ( don't know which one) have instructions for making these. I've made one myself but it is not the best quality ( shows some obvious wear on the case from the insertion process) or you can buy them from jamie d. grants site. his still have the plastic around the card case which makes it even cooler. they run about 100 dollars so again it depends on how much you like this person.
but I definately think that an impossible bottle of any kind would make a great magical gift and will never cease to bring up your name when the recipient is questioned about it.
I picture it going like this " hey is that a shoe in a bottle?" your friend responds " why yes my magician friend _________insert name here________ gave it too me I still have no idea how he got it in there!"
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hey Othelo68!

Thanks so much for the plug- that's very kind!

~jamie

http://www.cardsinabottle.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Good idea about the cards in a bottle. I have used puzzles of various types for something like this, as I feel it has some fuzzy connection to magic. Just recently found some neat ones at the dollar store so stocked up. I also have a stash of imp bottles on hand, which are very inexpensive but really a neat effect...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
As a wizard, I can collect some old chicken bones, clean them off and dry them out, put strange carvings on them, then put them into a nice little drawstring bag that can be worn around the neck. This then becomes a magic amulet.

I can also buy a small (almost tiny) note book from a Dollar Store, and fill it up with arcane spells I have made up just for the person receiving the gift. After all, I'm a Spellbinder and it is only natural that I make a gift of spells for almost any occasion.

You don't have to be a wizard to give the gift of good luck. You can put a pair of dice in a nice box or bag and give that as your "good luck dice" which have always worked for you and that you hope the recipient will also find lucky. This same gift of luck can be transferred to a horseshoe (or a horseshoe puzzle or magnet), a little pot of clover (stolen from the nearest lawn) or shamrocks, a golf ball, a baseball, a shiny penny, ... you get the idea, I'm sure. Good luck is sort of an all occasion gift.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
If you want something simple for some birthday, you might want to add a magic number square to your birthday card. Of course the magic number should be the age of the receiver of the card. This is no gift in the strict sense of the question, but could be added without any cost, showing one cares about the receiver.

Just my 2 cent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gifts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL