The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » R. Paul Wilson's "Con Cam Coincidencia" (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I love these kind of tricks. Anybody checked out this download? In brief, four people (one magician, three specs) follow one of the spec's deals and all wind up with four of a kind. Uses a borrowed, shuffled deck.

http://store.dananddave.com/con-cam-coin......son.html
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Ok, I went for it. It's been a tough day and then the photocopier went on the blink, so I deserved it, OK?

The demo video doesn't show every last bit of it, so if that's going to offend you, don't go for it. Having said that, if I was them I wouldn't have either, because you and I and the hordes of scavenging internet magicians would be able to work it out by playing it over.

As I only downloaded it 20 minutes ago and have only performed it once so far, and that for my ham sandwich, I can't vouch for authentic spectator reactions. (My ham sandwich is really blasé about magic these days, thinks he's seen it all.) But the trick is straightforward and there is no knucklebusting involved, the video gives good, clear instructions, and throws in a couple of nice subtleties too.

In terms of value, I won't get into the 'cost of a single trick vs the cost of a book' debate, but the price of the uni-trick was about ten of my Scottish pounds, and I have to say that I will definitely do this. It's a good trick, and I think I even saw the edges of my ham sandwich turn up in a wry smile.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I've been part of this trick, and I've seen the reactions of magicians - one of almost shock at the end. The reactions claimed by Paul are accurate.

Yes, knowledgeable magicians could reverse engineer the method from watching the video, and some can follow the routine as it is happening, but for many magicians and all real people this is an amazing effect.

The freeness of the handling will put anyone at ease, and it's very difficult to think back on what happened (but not in a bad way).It's not an opener, and it's not really a closer, either. What it is is a very nicely constructed _event_ for three spectators, one that will be remembered and commented upon for a long time.

Take care, Ian
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Thanks, Muse and Ian.

As for the demo video, what you guys wrote is obvious to me and I'm not offended by it. It's clear by the use of editing and title cards that stuff is left out. Muse, glad to know the ham sandwich gives it a begrudging thumbs up.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Any begrudging part of the approval was strictly on the part of the sandwich. To my way of thinking this is a good trick, and is worth the price.
damiaan
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of damiaan
Thanks for the reviews.
RogueMD
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of RogueMD
Quote:
On 2010-04-28 08:01, muse wrote:
ham sandwich turn up in a wry smile.

Are you sure that wasn't a "rye" smile? <DUCKS>

Thanks for the review!
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Do D&D take paypal outside of the US yet?........last time I tried to order from them was very upsetting!.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
No paypal was available to non-US buyers, credit card payment was needed from here
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Thanks,

same as last time I tried to order from them, oh well, their loss, plenty of others will willingly take my money.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Mathias Kersting
View Profile
New user
Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Mathias Kersting
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 11:36, Doctor REvil wrote:
Thanks,

same as last time I tried to order from them, oh well, their loss, plenty of others will willingly take my money.

I asked about this issue to Dan and Dave support when I found out about it, and this was my reply.

Quote:
Do to numerous fraudulent customers we can no longer accept Paypal from overseas customers through our website.

Please tally-up the total cost of your shipping and send the money to our alternate Paypal account at orders@dananddave.com making sure to state what it is that you're ordering.

Thanks,
Myles

Customer Support
support.dananddave.com

I haven't had any problems purchasing on-demands since then.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
There was far too much chopping done on this trailor. I can't really make out what the effect is, which is a shame as Paul puts out really nice work. I can understand the twins not wanting people to be able to suss out the method, but I think the trailor goes a bit over the top editing wise.

John
ryesteve
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of ryesteve
My first reaction to the demo video was slight annoyance at all the edits, but I understood that since this was billed as a self-working trick, it was necessary.

However, when I learned exactly what was cut out of the very last edit, the effect became infinitely less miraculous, and I no longer felt that particular edit was a fair one. It's one thing to make edits to avoid exposure, but it's an entirely different matter to make edits to imply the effect is accomplishing something it's really not.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I was with Ian Kendall when Paul performed this for us at Blackpool. It totally fried me. I am not a card man and generally detest the fecky little ace twisting effects beloved by card magicians before they turn into Jack Sandwiches.

This is not one of those tricks. It uses a regular borrowed deck, requires no preparation or set up and totally involves three or four spectators (you the performer can be one of them if you wish). It appears the spectators do everything.

This is a solid professional routine based on principles you probably know. It does require spectator management and showmanship. Ian said it is neither an opener or a closer. I think it's best as an encore piece. Then leave. You can't follow it.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I'm a big fan of the "Con Cam" genre of tricks that Paul releases. They're not knuckle-busting routines but they are always hard hitting. I purchased the Scotland Up Close book just to learn the Con Cam Cards Across. I'll definitely be getting this soon.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2010-04-30 11:36, Doctor REvil wrote:
Thanks,

Or you could just use a credit card. I can't imagine someone in this day and age not having one.
Dominique
View Profile
New user
Paris (France)
48 Posts

Profile of Dominique
Hi,

The edit discussed above on one hand can be understood : you can, by reverse engineering, if you watch it carefully several times, understand how it works. So that the editing process protect the secret, so the product to be sold.

Ok, it's a good point (even if this kind of trick has to be prohibited from any T.V/Youtube performance venue for this same big weakness). But is this kind of trailer intended to laymen or to magicians ?

"A card is chosen and lost in the deck" according to the trailer : ok, we are kindly invited not to ask how it is chosen and how it is lost in the deck, since it must be one of the key point of the method.

Indeed, on the other hand, you can't really appreciate the real all effect the trick you're about to buy will have on your audience : does the method of selection and to get back the card work well with my own magic standards : I can't tell from this trailer. One point for CCC : if we can't judge of the overall effect, it yet doesn't lie on the false crazy reactions get by the wanna-be-street-performer of the usual magic marketing.

Other example it's well known that there 2 kind of self-working tricks : the great ones and the ones where the spectator has to count cards, then to count them again, and substract some, and make X packets and so on...: for CCC I just read "and each spectator get a smal packet of cards"...hum, ok , how ?

The effect is one thing, but the way our audience will perceive the procedure (specially in self-working effects where the procedure may be boring and tedious) is at least as much as important.

Trailer : new great big illusion easy to do, self working : (on an eletronic music loop) put a nice woman into a box (the box can be examined, can be borrowed) - here comes a black insert with some praise for this to notch trick by a well-known non paid magician- wahou end of the trailer : and now a tiger comes from the box : do you buy it ?

This kind of huge editing is also a sure way to hide the method from those who can actually already knows it ... and didn't care about buying it again.

The ad for "Con Cam Coincidia" stress a lot that it's an incredible self-working coincidence FASDIU...but as I watched the trailer it sounds to me a lot that the all key of the trick comes directly from a quite confidential but famous Karl Fulves' booklet where from a FASDIU the magician manages to get for himself the four aces- here in CCC the four of a kind seem just to be given each one to a different spectator (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110541206002&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT).

Obviously, since Mr.WILSON is a serious magic seller, this source must be kindly given in the video itself I suppose, that's not my point, but sometimes I wonder it if would not be a fairest ad to give the sources in fact before, in the ad itself, to counteract a such huge editing concealment.

So is this ad deliberatly misleading by the cuts done ? Does CCC avoid all the classic pitfalls of the self-worging effects mentionned above: you can't tell. And as usual with this kind of net-buzz-trick : 13$ for only one trick, any magic book is still a best bargain of course.
Cordially,
Dominique
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Quote:
On 2010-05-03 07:13, John Carey wrote:
There was far too much chopping done on this trailer. I can't really make out what the effect is, which is a shame as Paul puts out really nice work. I can understand the twins not wanting people to be able to suss out the method, but I think the trailer goes a bit over the top editing wise.

John

I have to agree. I was very disappointed with this download. I know Mr. Wilson and the twins are very good magicians and they don't need to use this sort of thing to sell effects. They show one effect and sell other, that was the impression I had!!! See you!!!
Dallas Robbins
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Dallas Robbins
Having just bought this a few days ago, I had a somewhat similar reaction. After seeing the entire performance, I was a little disappointed, but I was still fooled until the explanation. After thinking about for a few days, I still really like it and will definitely use it. I've even come up with a few slight changes in the beginning with how the card is chosen and becomes known to the magician, making it an even tighter beginning, with no need to show the cards face up. I'm also thinking through the packet making part of the effect, maybe developing this with a phrase or two that may heighten the narrative, but I may just leave it as is. I think Wilson has come up with a great effect here that has got my mind working.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I took the basics of this and kind of created something of my own. It's a great piece and really interesting.

While the demo kind of stinks at showing you WHAT is happening it's still a great idea and routine for the money. Well spent I think.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » R. Paul Wilson's "Con Cam Coincidencia" (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL