The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which tricks get spontaneous applause? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
490 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Hi everyone,

in my experience very few magic tricks make the kids applaud by themselves.

One time I performed the trick dynaswitch where you transform a piece of paper into a bill - and the kids started to applaud because they really loved this effect.

Which tricks brought you spontaneous applause?

Daniel
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
It does depend if kids KNOW to applaud when they like something. You would be surprised how many young ones are not taught this. I actually remind or teach them at the beginning of the show.
And still if it is not in their nature, they still can forget. All you need is a few to lead the pack and they will follow.

the more visual the more they are likely to clap.
Like if you produced a bird .
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I agree with Powermagic. There no guarantees with kids. A dove production or any color change are your best bets.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The tricks that I get spontaneous applause from are the ones that I say "ok kids it is time to applaud"
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Lol Al

don
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Quote:
On 2010-05-06 09:30, Powermagic wrote:
It does depend if kids KNOW to applaud when they like something. You would be surprised how many young ones are not taught this. I actually remind or teach them at the beginning of the show.
And still if it is not in their nature, they still can forget. All you need is a few to lead the pack and they will follow.

the more visual the more they are likely to clap.
Like if you produced a bird .

I find that this not only happens with kids but adults as well. It is not that they do not like the performance, they are just not aware of the proper etiquette or audience-performer relationship. Typically they will watch the effect and then say "ooo","hey","wow", or "that was cool" (which is positive acknowledgement in itself)but won't applaud only because they don't know that a performance is a 2 way interaction. The performer entertains and the audience shows their appreciation of the performer and his attempt to entertain them with applause. This does not mean that the audience need applaud if the performer or performance is poor.

I always applaud a performer who has worked very hard to entertain me while in an audience...and I am usually the first to begin the applause, then others will chime in with theirs kind of like 'oh yeah, I almost forgot to applaud'.

Applause is part of an etiquette, and a courtesy to a performer that has been lost
primarily because live performances aren't as prevelent as they once were and have been replaced for the most part by television entertainment...which you do not need to applaud for.

This being said...if I do get any "spontaneous" applause it is when I produce my rabbit at the end of my performance.

Wolly
Keep it Simple...Play it BIG!!!
REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
788 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
One time the MC announced that I was sick and unable to come. I got a standing ovation. Does that tell you something?
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Regular user
Down Yonder
190 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
Rev Bill that's funny.
Al Hastings
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh,PA
41 Posts

Profile of Al Hastings
The other Al is 100% correct. You can get them to clap anytime you wanted nonverbally if you condition your audience at the start of the show.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Al
I find that once I get going just taking a bow will tell them to applaud.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I love the bit in Whit Haydn's linking rings routine where he tells the victim that spinning the ring that's just been linked will get the audience to applaud. Then he demonstrates. This is a wonderful sublety that tells the audience what to do without just telling the audience what to do.

-Patrick
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I almost never get applause from the children. I find I frequently get applause from the adults at the conclusion of my "singing worms" version of Professor's Nightmare.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Kids these days don't know to appluade...and honestly, either to their parents. They feel "I'm not in a theater show or a big money production so clapping isn't appropriate."

The MAIN PROBLEM that I have found is that the adults in the room tell the kids to sit their and be quiet and not be disruptive during a show. So the kids do just that...they sit there sitting on their hands with their mouths shut!

About 5 minutes before my show starts, the host get's all the kids situated and I have a 5 minute pre-recorded WARM UP that get's the kids going. I'm not out in front as I always like to make an entrance, but my warm up takes care of all that for me.

The recording was done for my by a professional radio personallity out here in Dallas who happens to be a good friend of mine. He has turned it into a game he explains how it works, when to be quiet and when to yell and scream and applaude.

It gets the kids ready to enjoy the show and when I come out to take my opening bow and I strike my applause pose, they're clapping, screaming, and eating it up just waiting to see what I have for them next!

My 2 cents...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Aaaarrrgh just thought of an old very bad joke...

That would be a "Bow Movement"

no applause for that!
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Can you explain how it "gets the kids going"? Going in direction of applause that is. Can you give examples? I have seen something like this with a live person on stage but not just an audio file running.

Quote:
On 2010-05-06 16:43, Christopher Lyle wrote:

About 5 minutes before my show starts, the host get's all the kids situated and I have a 5 minute pre-recorded WARM UP that get's the kids going. I'm not out in front as I always like to make an entrance, but my warm up takes care of all that for me.

The recording was done for my by a professional radio personallity out here in Dallas who happens to be a good friend of mine. He has turned it into a game he explains how it works, when to be quiet and when to yell and scream and applaude.

It gets the kids ready to enjoy the show and when I come out to take my opening bow and I strike my applause pose, they're clapping, screaming, and eating it up just waiting to see what I have for them next!

My 2 cents...

Christopher
SilvaAce
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
156 Posts

Profile of SilvaAce
The only trick I get spontaneous applause from is my Rocky Raccoon routine. It always surprises me, sometimes he doesn't even do much and the people start clapping. Most of my other routines I know exactly where the applause is coming.
All you have to do to change your life, is to change your daily habits!

Carlos Silva
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Oh I know one ... the Balloon Bag gets automatic applause always.
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I created an effect just for that purpose.]

http://www.innovativedeceptions.com/id_magication2.htm

Max
Colin John
View Profile
New user
Exeter, Devon. UK
2 Posts

Profile of Colin John
I have got to say I quite often get spontaneous from my routine using Lyles "Papers to Hat". The usual comment is, "How did youdo that", and you know the reply, "Very Well".
If anyone is interested the link is;

http://www.colinjohnmagic.co.uk/subprod/......782.aspx
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Harris
I want to make it chrystal clear I did not say that I take a bow movement to get the kids to applaud. LOL

It's more like a bow motion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Which tricks get spontaneous applause? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL