The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Periodicals/Magazines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Muzz
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Muzz
Just recently I've been looking over my copies of Apocalypse again as well as my Pallbearers Review volumes. There is something so great about periodicals that I would really like to get more of them. They make incredible reading. I have, so far, Apocalypse & Pallbearers Review. While this is probably all I need for a lifetime I would love to buy some more periodicals. I'm mainly into cards so was thinking of buying the Ibidem volumes. Can anyone recommend any others? Kabbala? Almanac? Or other slightly more obscure volumes?

Thanks
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1344 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
If you like Apocalypse and Pallbearer's Review, you will probably also enjoy Epilogue and Chronicles, both edited and written by Karl Fulves. Another save bet would be the Collected Almanac by Richard Kaufman and the Trapdoor Magazine by Steve Beam. At least Epilogue and the Collected Almanac are available as hardbound books.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Muzz, You are speaking MY language now my friend! Batten down the hatches, because here comes a list!!

In addition to Uli's EXCELLENT suggestions I will add:

Spellbinder by Stephen Tucker
Chicanery by Stephen Tucker
Cardiste by Rusduck
Kabbala by Jon Racherbaumer
Hierophant by Jon Racherbaumer
The Jinx by Theo. Annemannn
The Phoenix by Bruce Elliott
(NOTE: The above two were "reborn" as The New Jinx, and The New Phoenix respectively)
The Tops by Abbotts
The New Tops by Abbott's (LOTS of card magic in this one)
Pabular by Nick Bolton (this ran somewhat concurrently in the UK with Apocalypse, FILLED with GREAT magic)
The Wizard by George Armstrong
The Magic Wand (THIS is a MAMMOTH periodical that is only rivalled by The Sphinx in size, but, be warned, there is NO index. So, put on your Indiana Jones hat for this one. That said, the treasures here are nothing short of astounding. Read Gabe Fajuri's comments on this one and The Sphinx)
The Gen by Harry Stanley
Hugard's Magic Monthly by Jean Hugard
Pentagram by Peter Warlock
The New Pentagram by Peter Warlock
The Sphinx by Hilliar, Wilson, and Mulholland
The Bat by Lloyd Jones
Magigram by Supreme Magic

Others that are more along the lines of mentalism and GREAT also incluude

Magick by Bascom Jones
SZYGY by Lee Earle
Swami/Mantra by Sam Dalal
Seance by Sean Fields
The Compleat Invocation by Andruzzi and Hilford

There are of course MANY MANY more I could mention, but, for the most part, the ones Uli and I listed are truly the GREATEST of the classic periodicals at least in English (of course, we can't forget The Linking Ring and M.U.M.)

I am an Apocalypse junkie! Of all the books and journals in my library, Apocalypse is my "go to" source. Harry Lorayne published tons of great magic in this 2880 page collection as you know and many of today's classics saw their genesis in the pages of this periodical that ran from 1978-1997, so, nice to meet another "Apocalyte"!!!

Staying within the date range of Apocalypse, Richard's Almanac, Pallbearer's, Chronicles, and Epilogue, I would strongly suggest Pabular, Spellbinder, and Chicanery. Pabular and Spellbinder are available as hardbacks and/or digital.

If I was forced to pick one of the above three, I would choose Pabular.

All of that being said, ANY or all of the periodicals listed would be SO addicting that you might as well lay in a bunker of supplies for the next 300 years at least. The Gen is referenced all over the literature as is The New Tops. And with The New Tops, you are actually getting a few books included including M.I.N.T. and L.I.N.T.
Also, Nick Trost edited the Conjuring with Cards section of the New Tops for the majority of its long run.

I am HOPING Chris Wasshuber can land a deal to get ABRA. He has told me to be patient, that it IS a possibility. I hope so as I have seen ABRA referenced quite frequently in the literature as well. Drives me NUTS that I do not have access to it!! GRRRRR Smile

Quick comment about Ibidem: When Howard Lyons (may his memory be eternal) set out to publish Ibidem, he WANTED just a small subscribership, and, it was to be a magazine of experimental card magic. It was, to use today's terminology, "underground". Produced on a rickety Gestetner wax imprinting device, it was not the most slick of publications, but, WOW, the magic in its pages is astounding. Kaufman did volume 1 and Minch's Hermetic Press did vols. 2&3. They had Pat Lyons redo her exquisite cover art for each individual issue, and they used new typeset making this an accessible and very beautiful compilation. Ibidem is so widely referenced, I was surprised to learn just how underground it was!

So, I am certain others will chime in with even more magazines. Good luck and please keep us posted on your journey into the platinum mines of magic!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Muzz
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Muzz
Thanks Vlad, that's one heck of a list! Okay, now comes the hard part. Which do I try and get hold of first. I'm thinking Ibidem, but any suggestions? Does that mean that you are the proud owner of all those periodicals? If so you are one lucky man (with an understanding family Smile )

Had no idea that there were quite this many publications. I'm in the process of getting hold of Crimp magazines as I hear they contain some excellent material. Is Ibidem really that underground then? Like you say it is rather widely referenced.

Thanks mate, your sound advice and seriously long list, must have taken up valuable reading time Smile
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
I got some Abacus (Al Smith) recently. Talon (David Britland) was great. Rusduck's Cardiste is my favorite; newly published in book form. JP
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-05-09 14:28, Muzz wrote:
Thanks Vlad, that's one heck of a list! Okay, now comes the hard part. Which do I try and get hold of first. I'm thinking Ibidem, but any suggestions? Does that mean that you are the proud owner of all those periodicals? If so you are one lucky man (with an understanding family Smile )

Had no idea that there were quite this many publications. I'm in the process of getting hold of Crimp magazines as I hear they contain some excellent material. Is Ibidem really that underground then? Like you say it is rather widely referenced.

Thanks mate, your sound advice and seriously long list, must have taken up valuable reading time Smile

Cheers Mate,

I do own all of those periodicals and all are excellent. I would advise you to start with the hard bound version of Pabular. (I am not against e-books, I own a ton of those, but, I do prefer hard bound when available).

Pabular is simply phenomenal, and if you cannot get it hard bound, it IS available from a number of excellent online sources.

As for reading time, I have enough of it since I go on two hours of sleep. I have to since I am a professional musician and a semi-pro magician.

Ibidem WAS underground for its time, and contained great trail blazing ideas. They ARE worth getting, but, I would say that if you are looking for a journal with a lot of workers off the bat, Pabular would be my first choice as noted above.

Keep in touch!!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4305 Posts

Profile of Paul
RE:
"I do own all of those periodicals and all are excellent. I would advise you to start with the hard bound version of Pabular. (I am not against e-books, I own a ton of those, but, I do prefer hard bound when available)."

Generally speaking I'd agree, however if I remember correctly, the hard bound version of Pabular was quite controversial as it was produced without the authorization of the copyright holder.

Paul.
Many of my titles are now available as e-books from www.lybrary.com
New e-book OOPS 2 just released, check it out!
Out now, The Chicken and Egg Revelation.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quite true Paul. I remember the controversy well, although, at the time I purchased Pabular in hard bound I was unaware that Magico did this without Bolton's (or whomever owns the copyright - if memory serves, Martin Breese owns it?) permission. It IS my understanding however that the digital version IS sanctioned. Please do correct me if I am wrong?

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4305 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yep, Martin Breese owns the copyright now, and it is he who produced the digital version.

Coincidentally, I think Magico DO own the rights to publish material from Abra, though I doubt a hardcover version would ever appear due to the sheer number of pages, it ran weekly from the thirties to 2009. However, a number of excellent themed compilations could be produced from this source, in the same manner as a number of excellent books were produced from the material in the "Gen" magazine years ago by Harry Stanley.

I'm happy to have contributed articles in my early years to both Pabular and Abra.

Paul.
Many of my titles are now available as e-books from www.lybrary.com
New e-book OOPS 2 just released, check it out!
Out now, The Chicken and Egg Revelation.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
And your stuff in Pabular is EXCELLENT!! I have a LOT of your material Paul, and crave MORE. As to ABRA, I will keep faith in Chris Wasshuber. I want the whole thing Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Muzz, if you get Pabular, please get the digital version. Martin Breese is a gentleman and deserves the support.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
986 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
There are some GREAT deals on Ibidem right now.

Join the MCA and get the whole 3 books set for about 100 bucks I think. Or you can subscribe to Ask Alexander and get a good deal on them as well.

J
octave
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of octave
I'm glad most of the above periodicals are in the e-book form and can be purchased at a reasonable price. Vlad do you happen to own the e-book version of any of the above discussed periodicals? If yes, How are the scans?
Thanks,
-octave
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Go to http://www.lybrary.com/ do a search for Pabular click on more and check out the slideshow on the right side of page.This should give you some idea of how they look.

Best
Leo Jr
What a tangled web we weave when we first practice to deceive.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-05-24 08:38, octave wrote:
I'm glad most of the above periodicals are in the e-book form and can be purchased at a reasonable price. Vlad do you happen to own the e-book version of any of the above discussed periodicals? If yes, How are the scans?
Thanks,
-octave

Hi Octave,

Some I own in hardback, some, like MAGICK, I have the originals, and others I have digitally.

I have found that the scans of these are VERY good. Some of the longer running journals such as The Sphinx, The Magic Wand, and The Tops and New Tops obviously because of the possible condition of the source analog materials obviously are not as clear in some respects as more recent issues. But, I have not found an instance thus far where any of the scans of anything less than high quality.

These are truly treasures and the fact that we have them available to us AT ALL is truly a blessing. I know that I will never live long enough to get through all of them, but, their presence has made my working library far more complete.

I would become very frustrated when I would see certain journals referenced in the literature and I had no access to them. That all changed in 2002 when Chris Wasshuber made the legendary Sphinx available. I have not looked back since, not only for journals, but in e-books in general. Yes, I still PREFER hardbound books and I always will. But, many magicians like Peter Duffie, Cameron Francis, Scott Guinn, Aldo Colombini, and many others are publishing in the e-book format. ALL of these magicians produce strong magic and I want access to it. I have a capable printer, when I need to print, and, I have access to material that many are missing simply because they loathe the e-book format. I respect their choice of course, but, e-books are quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with in all of publishing.

The other day, I purchased the Rolling Stone compilation. It uses the Bondi Reader as its interface and the scans are nothing short of spectacular! National Geographic has done the same with their own proprietary interface as has National Lampoon (YAY) and others.

I CRAVE knowledge. I can always work around the format Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
643 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Quote:
On 2010-05-10 13:27, Jay Mahon wrote:

Join the MCA and get the whole 3 books set for about 100 bucks I think. Or you can subscribe to Ask Alexander and get a good deal on them as well.

J

Actually, only $50 - it's an insane deal.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Take a step back in time and discover Hugards Magic Monthly.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4753 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2010-05-24 20:10, James Alan wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-10 13:27, Jay Mahon wrote:

J

Actually, only $50 - it's an insane deal.

Yes. A deal I took advantage of a couple of months ago, and I still cannot believe what a bargain I got. The MCA website has some terrific online exhibitions.
octave
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of octave
Thanks Vlad and Leo I checked lybrary.com's website, because the sample pages are small in size ( to protect content) I had some doubts about its legibility, but Vlad has helped clear all the doubts.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Glad to help Octave!
Chris
View Profile
Special user
lybrary.com
862 Posts

Profile of Chris
Let me join Vlad in his enthusiasm for magic magazines and in particular old magic journals. In the old days if somebody came up with a new trick the typical thing to do was to submit it to a magic journal (or keep it secret). Other magicians read it and submitted variations or were inspired to submit entirely different ideas. This made the magic journals the breeding ground for innovations in magic. And that is why you will find a lot of highly intersting information in journals. Of course, you will also get a lot of other information of times past.

Very few take the time to really dig through these journals. Real gold can be found in their pages. I was told that part of the reason Max Maven is so knowledgable about magic and its history is because he is one of the few who systematically read old magic magazines. Regardless of if you have the time to actually read them from cover to cover or if you dip in and out as you feel like it, or if you use search to find nuggets as I often do, any hour spent with them is wisely spent in your education as magician.

I personally prefer the digital form mainly because I can search. I am realistic enough to know that I can never read all of these journals cover to cover. But I know that with search and selected reading I can find many of the bits and pieces I am interested in. And that is only possible with a digital version.

You can find dozens of major and minor magic magazines in digital form on my website http://www.lybrary.com/magic-magazines-comics-c-21_36.html (and sub-categories) And more are to come. I have two magazines in the works for which I acquired the rights, a few others are in negotiation and several more are on my list to work on. I have no doubt that in a few years pretty much all magic magazines will be available in some digital form.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2119 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Quote:
On 2010-05-24 17:59, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:
Go to http://www.lybrary.com/ do a search for Pabular click on more and check out the slideshow on the right side of page.This should give you some idea of how they look.

Best
Leo Jr

If I rightly remember Jerry Sadowitz's articles are missed in the digital version of PABULAR, as he does not gave his consent.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 15:53, MueCard wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-24 17:59, Leo Reynolds Jr wrote:

Best
Leo Jr

If I rightly remember Jerry Sadowitz's articles are missed in the digital version of PABULAR, as he does not gave his consent.

MueCard,
It is has been my understanding that the bound volumes of Pabular were done WITHOUT authorization from the copyright holder which happens to be Martin Breese, When I purchased the hard bound volumes, I was unaware of this fact. When I purchased the digital version, that is when I learned of the controversy.

Whether that has anything to do or not with Jerry Sadowitz not being asked for permission or more accurately, Jerry Sadowitz not giving consent, I do not know. Perhaps Chris or others might shed some light on it.

Chris,
PLEASE tell me that ABRA MAY BE in our future? Ironically, with mueCard's post, I am reminded that the same company (not mentioning the name) that did the unauthorized Pabular in hard back now owns the rights to ABRA as well. If THAT is the case, I will NOT buy ABRA, or any product they create FROM ABRA because of the unethical publishing of Pabular.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Chris, I have bought quite a bit from you. Care to tip the mitt to a loyal customer sometime about what is in the pipeline? Smile I am Italian and will keep it secret.
Chris
View Profile
Special user
lybrary.com
862 Posts

Profile of Chris
To the best of my knowledge Martin Breese owns the Pabular including the Sadowitz material. So Martin could certainly have included the Sadowitz material. However, I think Martin's logic was the other way around. Sadowitz was mean to Breese so Breese decided to remove his contributions. At least that is how I understand it. But I am not that much interested or informed in any such personal issues. Searching the digital Pabular for Sadowitz gives 5 hits, but I don't know how many contributions Sadowitz made, so I can't say for sure if they are in or out of the digital version.

I made efforts to get permission ot digitize Abra, however the copyright holder did not want to make a decision. There was no definite No, which gives me hope that at some point I or somebody else will get permission. In the end it doesn't really matter who will do it as long as it becomes available in digital form. Of course, I would love to do it because I think I have proven that I can do it very well.

I would love to reveal what is in the pipeline but I don't want to reveal my hand just yet. As they say, it is not so important which cards you are dealt in life, but how you play them Smile
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
octave
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of octave
Finished downloading Jinx, and I'm very happy with the pdf. I was needlessly getting worried about the quality of the document. For periodicals/magazines I would surely lean towards the digital side from now on. I paid less than what I normally pay to get books shipped for a digital file of Jinx. Lybrary.com rocks !!!

-octave
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
As a big fan of this medium for making the great journals available to mere mortals who have to watch their bank accounts, a resounding YES!! to Octave.

Be careful my friend, you will get hooked Smile But, this is a GOOD thing. And yes, Lybrary.com DOES rock. There is a line in The Godfather Part II where Frankie Pentangeli says that he owes his bookie his soul. I think Chris already HAS mine!! But, what a bargain: essential reading from a man who really CARES about our beloved art.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6755 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Vlad,
Nick Bolton was, as you stated, the person making the magazine to physically exist but Fred Robinson really was the man collecting and selecting the tricks: he was the soul of Pabular.

You may have also mentioned that the illustrations which are truly exceptionally artistic were drawn by Eric Mason, not a small magician in his own name. Thus the hands shown in the illustrations are not anonymous ones but are often either the ones of the author of the trick or Fred Robinson's. Eric was subtly letting the soul of the magazine shine for us and that light is is still perceptible.

The recommandation in favor of Pabular would not be complete without mentioning Patrick Page who had his own column there: "the Page boy speaks" was always very instructive.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
4916 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Monsieur Etienne, You are so very correct in your writing about Pabular. Patrick Page's columns are a constant inspiration to me and he is sorely missed.

Pabular is one of the great journals, and I am so very glad it is available to all.

I really like your words about Eric Mason. You are right in that Pabular definitely has a soul.

Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Periodicals/Magazines (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.424763 seconds, requiring 78 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [6] [0] [1] [7] [2] [2] [1] [3]