We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » On The Mark- Mark Elsdon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
roblane
View Profile
Elite user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
432 Posts

Profile of roblane
Let me say first off that I don't usually write reviews. I've read thousands most probably and am very grateful to those who spend time writing them, so thought it high time I returned the favour. The theme of On the Mark is simple, any card called for ie KK or Bang On for example. What makes this different? Well there's no 'off by one' and only one wallet used, which can be in full view throughout the performance. It's a very simple trick to perform technically, so you can put your all into the presentation. But ( I hear you ask) is it effective? Personally I think it's wonderful. I've only tested this on the long-suffering wife so far, but that in itself is an acid test! As I have the other similar versions already mentioned, I pointed out the fact there is only the one wallet and left it on display the whole time, stating that a mentalist can only do the effect one way, by actually having just the one card in an envelope in the wallet and the spec picking it by intuition alone ( this is as per the instructions btw). The good lady had no idea how she picked the one & only card in the wallet. Good times. I'm looking forward to frying others with this now. The wallet is lovely incidentally and un-gimmicked, so usable everyday too, jacket pocket size as opposed to hip pocket. Having re-read this to myself I may not write anymore reviews but hope someone gains something from this.
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1337 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Thank's Rob,that's helpful.I know what you mean about writing reviews!
It can be difficult without exposing or having the review read like a marketing mans dream.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
John C
View Profile
Inner circle
The AMAZING and COMMERCIAL Chair Test
7584 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2010-05-12 19:12, Markymark wrote:
Thank's Rob,that's helpful.I know what you mean about writing reviews!
It can be difficult without exposing or having the review read like a marketing mans dream.

It's only a marketing man's dream if it's a good review.

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series:
www.professionalmagicroutines.com
25PERCENTOFF coupon until october 1, 2014
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
2616 Posts

Profile of insight
LOL, John you are one funny man!

Regards,
Mike
Paul Richards
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Paul Richards
I've been using this since the end of April and personally I think it's excellent. Well made, well thought out, low tech, and very direct. What's not to love? To me, On The Mark resolves all the issues I've had with similar effects (Bang On, Kolossal Killer, etc). I've toyed around with many versions of KK but never found one to suit my style. I never felt comfortable with the "off by one" ruse (although, as an aside, I really like John Archer's take on it).

In short, if the effect appeals to you, I think you'll be very pleased with On The Mark.

If you're looking for a source in the U.S., we should have more in stock within a few days:

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=8118

Best,
Paul Richards
TimEden
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TimEden
Looks amazing. Saving my pennies as we speak.

One question though (and honestly not fishing for an explanation), please tell me it doesn't use equivoque. When I buy a "killer" effect only to find that this is a substantial part of the effect, I quietly fume, especially if the demo vid shows someone whose 50/50s always went the hoped way.

Hope that makes sense. Please let me know because if it doesn't then I'm probably going to put one of my pets up on Ebay...

Tim
mindguru
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mindguru
This sounds great, I hope it is.
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
166 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
Received this myself 2 weeks ago and use it for walk-around during a regular gig I have at a restaurant. Absolutely I would recommend it to my friends, I receive great reactions, it's instantly reset, and ready to go for my next set of tables.

Thanks for putting this out Mark!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2031 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 18:10, TimEden wrote:
One question though (and honestly not fishing for an explanation), please tell me it doesn't use equivoque. When I buy a "killer" effect only to find that this is a substantial part of the effect, I quietly fume, especially if the demo vid shows someone whose 50/50s always went the hoped way.

Tim

Anyone can answer that one? I was excited when watching the demo but then... "Wait.. I hope it doesn't work like that". Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
GhostSurfer
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of GhostSurfer
...If this was just equivoque then I'm sure you'd be buying just a pdf-release. Obviously from the retail cost of the effect you are getting a lot more (please God, let there just be ONE wallet).
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Well, it is said the wallet also comes with gimmicked Bicycle deck. Or equivoque. Need a confirmation from those already have this.
Phil J.
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
I saw Mark demo this at the Bristol Day of Magic last weekend and it looks really good. There is no equivoque. The spectator is asked to eliminate pips or court cards, then colour, then suit and finally face cards until only one card remains. It's the same procedure througout. The last card remaining is the prediction.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
GhostSurfer
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of GhostSurfer
Quote:
On 2010-05-15 12:22, Failed Magician wrote:
Well, it is said the wallet also comes with gimmicked Bicycle deck. Or equivoque. Need a confirmation from those already have this.

...I can only assume then that the gimmicked deck consists entirely of D/F's?
If the wallet is un-gimmicked then that is an unnecessary expense, surely? (ie, buy your own or use your own)
TimEden
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TimEden
It almost seems like the too-good-to-be-true feeling lots of us had about Silent Running and it emerged that there was more fishing involved than the ad would indicate (unfair?).

What's going through my mind is - the wonderful Invisible Deck: They name *any* card and it turns out to be (apparently) the only one upside-down in the deck. And at an eighth of the price of "On the Mark"! Only downside - they cannot look at the deck afterwards.

So...next question. If you take the heat off the card itself (which the ad says is gimmicked, I think) can they look at the *wallet* afterwards? I know the wallet is not gimmicked but can they have a good poke around inside?

I'm not looking for a reveal of how the effect is done (honestly!) but if it's not exminable then why not run the whole routine from the vid and then use an invisible deck for the reveal?!
GhostSurfer
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of GhostSurfer
...There is a point to the wallet. If not, then you would say 'Here I have a single envelope...'

So it all looks like multiple envelopes and D/F's. And the hokey bit of business at the begining of the vid. may point to there being *2* wallets in play...?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... two of me is one too much ..
2514 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Thanks Jan. Very good thread. Nice trick but too expensive for my condition Smile
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1028 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Got it...like it...will use it. The wallet it comes with is very nice! However for those that have a Garnier 3 function wallet from Camirand Academy...this wallet will also work AND you can still use it for card to wallet (Kaps), card to envelope (LePaul), and card to inner wallet (Mullica). Now it's no longer a one trick wallet...very nice!

Cody S. Fisher
For DVD's, Lecture Notes, Unique Tricks, & Instant PDF Downloads Please Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck

For Instant Lecture Video Downloads Or My Marketing Course Downloads Please Visit: www.Magic-Trick.net
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1575 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Frankly, I'm dissapointed with this. First of all, I'm paying for an ungimmicked wallet which isn't necessary. Second, it could have been designed just a bit differently to take even less pocket space and it could have been done in any wallet. This different design may be obvious to anyone who owns this trick, but it would require specially printed gimmicks. I believe John Bannon has an effect that uses some of these specially printed cards. I feel like I wasted my money on an overpriced ungimmicked wallet and hand-made gimmicks. This effect fell way short.
KJ.
John C
View Profile
Inner circle
The AMAZING and COMMERCIAL Chair Test
7584 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-09-01 15:50, 1KJ wrote:
Frankly, I'm dissapointed with this. First of all, I'm paying for an ungimmicked wallet which isn't necessary. Second, it could have been designed just a bit differently to take even less pocket space and it could have been done in any wallet. This different design may be obvious to anyone who owns this trick, but it would require specially printed gimmicks. I believe John Bannon has an effect that uses some of these specially printed cards. I feel like I wasted my money on an overpriced ungimmicked wallet and hand-made gimmicks. This effect fell way short.
KJ.

So 1kj would you say not so "on the mark"?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series:
www.professionalmagicroutines.com
25PERCENTOFF coupon until october 1, 2014
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
934 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis

I am currently exclusively manufacturing two new wallets that Alakazam Magic will release with On the Mark By Mark Elsdon around the end of September 2013.

Tony
Currently manufacturing the Heirloom Wallet Deluxe exclusively for Alakazam Magic.

www.tonycurtismagic.com
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Now that it has been re-released, has it been improved in any way? is there any advantage of the large wallet over the small hip pocket wallet, or is it just a personnal choice of style? Can the final reveal card be given to your spectator? Appreciate any advice to make an informed decision as to whether it is suitable for conditions I usually encounter.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Not a lot of talk about this. Can any of the earlier posters tell us if the card can be handed to the spec, would appreciate any further info before buying this.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
2665 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On 2013-10-07 07:49, takeachance wrote:
Not a lot of talk about this. Can any of the earlier posters tell us if the card can be handed to the spec, would appreciate any further info before buying this.

I do not own the effect but I have been told that the card cannot be handed out to the spectator.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks everyone for you help. I can now make an informed decision on this. It seems with just a little fundamental audience management you have quite a strong routine. Again, thanks all.
Leo H
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:

I do not own the effect but I have been told that the card cannot be handed out to the spectator.
Michael

You can perform Mark's effect without the gaffed cards. There is a price to pay but it is not a high one.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of videoman
If you are on the fence on this, you may want to check out Inferno by Joshua Jay before making a final decision.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1929 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2013-10-12 20:44, videoman wrote:
If you are on the fence on this, you may want to check out Inferno by Joshua Jay before making a final decision.

Funny you mention Inferno, a friend and I are in a debate about which one is better. I prefer On The Mark as the equivoque stays consistent every time no matter what they choose.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Ha, LOL, I was thinking of both as each seem to have there own strength in the equivoque, which I luv. It would be nice to be able to repeat with a slightly different style, method and reveal. Any thoughts from anyone who may have both?
Leo H
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of Leo H
There is only one equivoque for On the Mark, whereas Inferno appears to utilize several in order to narrow it down to the card in the matchbox. The matchbox looks cleaner, but it comes down to the price you're willing to pay on either end.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » On The Mark- Mark Elsdon (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.264723 seconds, requiring 96 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [7] [3] [3] [5] [0] [8] [7]