The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Diminishing Returns (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Drake
View Profile
New user
I feel bad having only
59 Posts

Profile of Drake
Was wondering what everyone thought about the Diminishing Returns effect. Looking at the demos it looks like it could be a good effect but does it really seem to play well for you.

Also is it mostly slights or is it just something with a gimmick for this effect.

Thinking about picking it up to put it into my routine but wanted to get some info from those who have played with it.

Thanks
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
The entire deck is gimmicked, along with a couple of different gimmicked cards.

It's a great effect in the right hands, but the deck suffers from what all "trick decks" suffer from......you can't let anybody touch it, and you've got to ring it in and out of play if you're doing card effects with a normal deck.

No real sleights.....just some careful handling and some healthy practice to make it look natural.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Need a close up pad tho, you don't want to ruin it faster by spreading them on just any table. Might got dirt and oil.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Chris Henderson
View Profile
Special user
Indiana -- Anyone w/ no life would have
563 Posts

Profile of Chris Henderson
Echoing what everyone else says, no real sleights but some practiced handling, 100% gaffed deck, close-up pad does help a lot.

As for the effect on spectators, it is one of the few effects I have done that have caused spectators to involuntarily shout out profane and obscene expletives in sheer amazement at the point the deck shrinks. Those who don't shout are usually left with their jaws and eyes wide open. I've had nothing but great reactions with it.
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"

--Gerry Spence
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Here's a fairly lengthy review by Steve Brooks:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=71&0

I agree with Steve that the "Defective Deck" effect which is included in this item is at least as good or better than "Diminishing Returns." Both effects are extremely visual, eye-popping magic.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Just realized that it's in Bicycle deck.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
I really like gaffed decks, and DR is one of my favorites... to look at. It is so nicely gaffed that I don't perform it. The effect is strong and the deck is fun. I'm glad I have it in my collection.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
I really like this trick.
The combination of the gaffed deck and the smart handling makes it both surprising and impossible to backtrack for the audience. Too many strange things happen.

And in addition it makes a perfect match with a Shrinking Card Case!

Troels
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

That's good one, Troels. With Shrinking Card Case, this would just blow their minds.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
I've used this for around 2 years. I've been using the same deck for all that time. I'm glad you can still get them. For awhile you couldn't find them anywhere as they were always out of stock. Its about time to replace my old one.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Mike Powers is such an excellent inventor. Everytime we would demo Diminishing Returns at the shops I worked in, it was a sure sale. A truly wonderful, strong routine, as evidenced as well by the posts before mine Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

If only it doesn't require a close-up pad for performing it.
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
Defective Deck is worth the price...better that Diminishing Returns IMO...Kennedy's Shrinking Deck routine is much better for my taste.

Jonathan Brown
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Great trick.....big impact. I showed it to a friend of mine in NYC once and it blew him away. He pleaded with me to show it to him again and I didn't. He always asks me when I see him if I can do the "Shrinking Card Trick" and I tell him once was enough and the suspense is killing him.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Lance Burton was doing a beautiful version of this back in the early 90's.

I wish I could remember where I saw it - I believe it was one of the "World's Greatest" specials, but I may be mistaken.

I think this effect is better suited in a formal show.

Just my 5 cents.

Cheers.
MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
The version Lance did is on his first television special The Legend Begins, which is available on DVD at Amazon. Unlike the Mike Powers version, Lance's version does NOT used a gimmicked deck. The entire deck, except for one card, is normal. It's a very clever method.
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
The extended version that MIke Powers performs (it's included in the instructions, although a little convoluted), is eye-popping for magicians as well as laymen. It is a great, great routine.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Just got Mike Powers Diminishing Returns and love it! I hardly ever use gaff decks but this one I will definitely be using. Love the effect and the ease of accomplishing the routine. I will admit that I had a little trouble understanding the moves from the written instructions but after watching Mike's explanation on his website I was taken back by how easy this is to perform. Looking forward to using this!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Diminishing Returns (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL